AMD Reports 2013 Second Quarter Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced revenue for the second quarter of 2013 of $1.16 billion, an operating loss of $29 million and a net loss of $74 million, or $0.10 per share. The company reported a non-GAAP operating loss of $20 million and a non-GAAP net loss of $65 million, or $0.09 per share.

"Our focus on restructuring and transforming AMD resulted in improved financial results," said Rory Read, AMD president and CEO. "Our performance in the second quarter was driven by opportunities in our new high-growth and traditional PC businesses. Looking ahead, we will continue to deliver a strong value proposition to our established customers and also reach new customers as we diversify our business. We expect significant revenue growth and a return to profitability in the third quarter."

It's nice that they're beating forecasts and expecting profitability, but you have to hope they can maintain it in the near future without continuing to cut people: they only have so much further they can go after all.

I remember when AMD had 30,000 people on its payroll, quite a few of those wouldn't be needed after they split off their foundry business, but that is still a ton of layoffs over the last seven years.

Surprisingly the profits did not come from the graphics segment, which includes royalties from game consoles and graphics cards. It came from x86 servers APUs and notebooks!

I'd love to purchase a new CPU. I especially like the ones from AMD. I've had the one I'm currently using for nearly 3 years now. I don't need nor can I use anymore CPU power. I mostly have two cores doing...well...nothing.

^Well, you could go several steps further with that statement given the fact that AMD is actually in the red all-time.

I currently run Intel CPUs (as must of us here do right now) but I do not like seeing Intel's only real competitition sucking wind.

We need both to keep each other honest and the tech flowing. Otherwise it will just get stale.

I currently run Intel CPUs (as must of us here do right now) but I do not like seeing Intel's only real competitition sucking wind.

We need both to keep each other honest and the tech flowing. Otherwise it will just get stale.

That would be great, but IIRC, some time ago they made a statement that they no longer intend to compete with Intel at the top end. I do hope AMD can make some good out of the revenue they are making from the consoles, but it wouldn't surprise me if they continue to invest in the APU/mobile segment, or server segment.

Back