Gigabyte GTX 770 WindForce OC

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at MadShrimps had a lot of nice things to say about the Gigabyte GTX 770 WindForce OC. Hit the link if you are in the market for a factory OC'd card with a custom cooler.

We have met before with the WF 3X OC cooling system with 6 heatpipes which succeeds to keep the card at low operating temperatures; the default profile is built in such a way so the card remains silent most of the times, even at high loads but if we want even lower temperatures, we can easily create a custom fan profile with the help of the OC Guru II application.

Own it and love it as well, except for the coil whine. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt because I'm running an older Corsair VX550W power supply. Have a Cooler Master V850 (Seasonic) on the way to see if that clears it up. I returned the first Gigabyte GTX 770 to the retailer and got another one, but the second one also had the same coil whine, so there's a good chance the new PSU will resolve the issue. If it doesn't, will be RMAing straight to Gigabyte until I get a coil whine free unit. I keep my rigs 3-5 years (closer to 5) and I'm very sensitive to high frequency noise. Imagine my disappointment when I FINALLY upgraded my old Core 2 Duo E6400/nvidia 9800GTX rig and I got obnoxious coil whine. BTW - it does the coil whine in ALL games, even when vsync/frame limiter is on.

I love mine too, and I'm coming from a 7970. I know it isn't an upgrade but I wanted to go back to nVidia and don't have the scratch for a 780. This card is quiet and cool and looks like the dark knight of gpu's, and since I use a test bench as my case looks are important.

Poweruser- I would definitely look into an RMA, I only get coil whine when it's getting massive fps (like in a menu), and I've found that most cards I've had do it, otherwise this card is very quiet.

Yeah I'll be looking into an RMA if the new power supply doesn't clear up the issue. I can deal with coil whine if it's in super high FPS situations. Unfortunately right now the card still whines even if I limit the frame rate or turn vysnc on, which leads me to believe its a PSU issue. We'll see, I'll keep you guys updated.

Back