Apple Hiring Designers for Smart Watch Project

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Okay, here we go. Apple is getting ready to pick up the iWatch concept and run for the goal line. Financial Times has reported that Apple is now ‘aggressively’ recruiting employees specifically for their smartwatch project. The projected date for Apple’s entry into wearable tech will be sometime late next year.

Earlier this month, it was revealed that Apple has hired Paul Deneve, formerly the CEO of fashion house Yves Saint Laurent, to work on "special projects", with speculation suggesting he may be involved with the iWatch and other wearable computing projects at Apple.

I'm thinking iGlasses b/c of apple's tendency to copy other companies designs. iWatch maybe because other companies have already made mp3-player watches, calculator-watches, etc but I think Apple would wait until another company makes a success, working prototype that sells well and incorporates a good display system//sells a lot of units.

I'm thinking iGlasses b/c of apple's tendency to copy other companies designs. iWatch maybe because other companies have already made mp3-player watches, calculator-watches, etc but I think Apple would wait until another company makes a success, working prototype that sells well and incorporates a good display system//sells a lot of units.

And watch Apple the thieves submitt a patent on said good seller smart watch and then call it their own.

Apple can fuck off. Nothing but thieves and liers.

I guess it could be cool to have something on your wrist that would allow you to switch on lights, unlock your car, etc., but I figure this thing is just going to tell you the weather.

And watch Apple the thieves submitt a patent on said good seller smart watch and then call it their own.

Like how Samsung copied HTC in creating android smartphones.

At least we don't look like fourteen year old whiney girls when we post on the Internet. Something to consider, chump.

Seems like Apple could've 'created' this market if they had been more aggressive about it. Sometime late next year is going to be a little bit too late to the party to really 'create' a smartwatch market the way the iPad 'created' the tablet market.

Unless there's some new bit of technology that's just now fallen in place, of course.

A) Sony already sells an Android powered "smartwatch"
B) Who wears a watch anymore, there's a clock on my cell phone.
C) The reason smartphones took off is access to websites, emails, etc. Try doing that on a dinky watch screen that you can only use with one hand (since it's strapped to your wrist).
D) Another reason iPhones took off is they combined a music player (iPod) with the phone. Try having a cord running from your wrist to your ears and walking around with the wire going everywhere. There is a reason carriers for your MP3 player strap to your upper arm vs. lower arm.
E) A smart watch is so 1940's.....

dick_tracy_iwatch_apple_smartwatch_iphone6.jpg

At least we don't look like fourteen year old whiney girls when we post on the Internet.

I've got some news for you.... :p
I also love how the guy you quoted was only talking about Apple, and then you, the friendly neighborhood Apple user, calls him a "chump".

You're actually representing the Apple community pretty accurately!

Now all the hipster joggers can give up their garmins and start feeling good about exercise. And after a nice easy jog, barely breaking a sweat, they can relax on a soft and cushiony iToilet coming to a store near you.

Seems like Apple could've 'created' this market if they had been more aggressive about it. Sometime late next year is going to be a little bit too late to the party to really 'create' a smartwatch market the way the iPad 'created' the tablet market.

Unless there's some new bit of technology that's just now fallen in place, of course.

I'm pretty sure the whole iWatch concept was the reason they discontinued the multitouch iPod Nano.

bits-ipodnano-custom2.jpg

So they can sell you the same thing hobbyists "magically invented" for Apple.

I guess it could be cool to have something on your wrist that would allow you to switch on lights, unlock your car, etc., but I figure this thing is just going to tell you the weather.

Not really when you already carry a smartphone that does that and more and also always displays the time. Watches are optional fashion accessories now not something you need, notice how few people use them currently. This is a dead end and shows Apple has lost its mojo.

My IWC says to get your pansy ass watch off of its lawn.

#[M]ediumOCP

I used to have one of those watches that let you turn off and on any TV/VCR (was a riot in high school) and I'll tell you one thing, after about 90 seconds of holding your arm/wrist up to a viewing position, you are going to get tired of doing it. Trust me on this.

Unless Apple's smart watch has some sort of built in Anti-grav arm lifting device it's probably going to suck.

All that being said -- they probably should have come out with something like this a year or two ago, before everyone else was working on it too.

I think Apple would wait until another company makes a success, working prototype that sells well and incorporates a good display system//sells a lot of units.
Seems like the wait was over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_(watch)
The watch has a 1.26-inch 144 × 168 pixel black and white ultra low power "memory LCD" made by Sharp[9] (described as "ePaper") with backlight, a vibrating motor, a magnetometer, ambient light sensors and a three-axis accelerometer.[7][10][11][12][13] It will communicate with an Android or iOS device using Bluetooth 2.1 but includes support for Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy) for a later update when more phones support it. The battery was reported in April 2012 to last seven days.[14] Based on feedback from Kickstarter backers, the developers added water-resistance to the list of features.[15] The watch is charged using a modified USB-cable that attaches magnetically to the watch so as not to compromise water resistance.[7]

The Pebble was slated to ship with apps pre-installed, including a cycling app to measure speed, distance and pace through GPS, and a golf rangefinder app that supports more than 25,000 courses. These apps use data received from a connected phone for distance, speed and range information. More apps will be downloadable from the phone, and an SDK will be freely available.[16] Not all apps will be installed when the watch ships but CEO Eric Migicovsky announced on January 9, 2013 that there will be updates for the watch's OS (which is based on FreeRTOS) every 2–3 weeks until all features are added.[7]
640px-Pebble_watch_email_1.png

If I wanted to wear a smart device, I'd Pipboy my iPhone to my arm. It's a stupid idea.

Back