Rejected Xbox One Prototypes

Interesting. Sheds some light on how much R&D went in to just the aesthetics.

Reminds me of the original xbox, they had some awesome design ideas, like the green eye in the center of the X.

Yet they came up with a big black box that looks like it came from the 80's.

Ya.....I thought they put no effort in the design to save money. Now I am even more disappointed than before. Creativity = down the drain :rolleyes:

I guess I'm the only one who really doesn't care what it looks like, as long as it's black to fit in with the rest of my home theatre + consoles.

Yet they came up with a big black box that looks like it came from the 80's.
70's = pho-wood paneling.
80's is close to the ps4 it being a rhombus, plenty of consoles from the 80's were not just boxes plenty had unnecessary angels added to them, reminds me of the ps4.
90's was you added curves to the console being round was in probably because of things being on disks and cars starting to have curves instead of flat panels.
for 80's and 90's it needs to be in the color of the early computer that beige that turns yellow over the years.

70's = pho-wood paneling.
80's is close to the ps4 it being a rhombus, plenty of consoles from the 80's were not just boxes plenty had unnecessary angels added to them, reminds me of the ps4.
90's was you added curves to the console being round was in probably because of things being on disks and cars starting to have curves instead of flat panels.
for 80's and 90's it needs to be in the color of the early computer that beige that turns yellow over the years.

I was thinking it looked like VCRs, cassette decks, and stereo systems from the 80's. Not consoles and PCs from the 80's.

They then worked with the engineering team to determine how the internal parts would fit into the console.[/quote[

...isn't that horribly inefficient?

"Microsoft is not aiming at gamers, they`re aiming at everybody. And when you’re doing that, you really don’t want too much excentricities in aesthetics, because they’re polarizing: some will love it, most will hate it (see: Gaming rigs). and when you aim at everybody, you can’t possibly make an aesthetic design that no one loves. you try the next best thing, a design that no one will hate."

Quote taken from the comment section of that site. I don't plan on buying any of the next gen consoles, but with the direction Sony and MS are heading, they're trying to capture marketshare. Gotta make something people won't hate, and to do that, you have to make something as least offensive as you can. Vanilla is the key flavor here.

"Microsoft is not aiming at gamers, they`re aiming at everybody. And when you’re doing that, you really don’t want too much excentricities in aesthetics, because they’re polarizing: some will love it, most will hate it (see: Gaming rigs). and when you aim at everybody, you can’t possibly make an aesthetic design that no one loves. you try the next best thing, a design that no one will hate."

Quote taken from the comment section of that site. I don't plan on buying any of the next gen consoles, but with the direction Sony and MS are heading, they're trying to capture marketshare. Gotta make something people won't hate, and to do that, you have to make something as least offensive as you can. Vanilla is the key flavor here.

Pretty much it. The One isn't a games console. Game consoles are finished. It's an Entertainment Console.

MS knows the money isn't in games anymore, its in media subscriptions and tie ins with movie/sports/TV networks.

I mean look at it this way...would you look to EA for your future?

Some crazy looking concept designs there. I must say, given the rejected designs, they made a wise choice. "Polarizing" would be putting it politely for a lot of those designs. The product model is pretty vanilla, borderline dated looking. But I need not worry. One will never put it's dirty little rubber feet in my home. ;) (and no I'm not a PS fanboi. Won't have that either.)

Pretty much it. The One isn't a games console. Game consoles are finished. It's an Entertainment Console.

MS knows the money isn't in games anymore, its in media subscriptions and tie ins with movie/sports/TV networks.

I mean look at it this way...would you look to EA for your future?

And that's why all game companies are desperately trying to make their games MMO-like...

Yep, think they realized its not about making a big spectacle anymore, just blending in makes more sense, owning a console isn't exactly anything special anymore. Black is the way to go.

And that's why all game companies are desperately trying to make their games MMO-like...

Yup why bother selling a game for $60 for maybe a weeks game time when you can rope in a customer for a couple of years for $10 a month, not to mention a few micro-payments here and there.

Yep, think they realized its not about making a big spectacle anymore, just blending in makes more sense, owning a console isn't exactly anything special anymore. Black is the way to go.

QFT. The average age of gamers now is 30 years old. People have families, spouses, visitors, etc. that don't need/want to see a giant white box with a neon green ring in their entertainment center. This is another big reason for the integration with set top boxes and cable services. They're going for market share, they want everyone in the family to use it.

I'm personally happy that they went for function over form this time around. With proper cooling and size, we should have a lot less problems than the early Xbox 360s. In the end, who really cares what it looks like as long as it works?

QFT. The average age of gamers now is 30 years old. People have families, spouses, visitors, etc. that don't need/want to see a giant white box with a neon green ring in their entertainment center. This is another big reason for the integration with set top boxes and cable services. They're going for market share, they want everyone in the family to use it.

I'm personally happy that they went for function over form this time around. With proper cooling and size, we should have a lot less problems than the early Xbox 360s. In the end, who really cares what it looks like as long as it works?
While I agree with the function over form argument, I still think form is important to many (myself included). I think a product should look good, but not at the sacrifice of function. That being said, there is functional beauty: an appeal that is derived from a product's superior functionality rather than its aesthetics. Either way, I prefer refined form and function.

Back