Windows 8.1 To RTM By August

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now that we know Windows 8 will be out by August, I wonder if we are going to see a price drop at the same time?

Microsoft delivered a public preview of Windows 8.1 on June 26 during its Build conference. There are no more preview/test builds scheduled. The next stop is RTM. Microsoft will make Windows 8.1 available to all Windows 8 and Windows RT users as a free upgrade through the Windows Store.

WTF...LOL you mean a service like TV (channels) that is funded by ads? :rolleyes:\

Didn't realize my OS is funded by ads?

Oh, you mean the TV service you pay for? That one? Oh well, enjoy your non skip tv ads if you watch live tv well I enjoy my OS with ads that I do not even see.

WTF...LOL you mean a service like TV (channels) that is funded by ads? :rolleyes:\

Didn't realize my OS is funded by ads?

Using that analogy, you pay for your internet service so you shouldn't have ads on websites. They are all connected, you know. Juno, the free ISP, was ad supported. Paid ISP's are not ad supported. Cable/Satellite are not the content. They are the access to the content. Same with ISP's. :)

But, you pay for the OS. That's the revenue stream. Putting ads into the base OS is not cool. Apps, sure. The OS is like the access to those apps.

Using that analogy, you pay for your internet service so you shouldn't have ads on websites. They are all connected, you know. Juno, the free ISP, was ad supported. Paid ISP's are not ad supported. Cable/Satellite are not the content. They are the access to the content. Same with ISP's. :)

But, you pay for the OS. That's the revenue stream. Putting ads into the base OS is not cool. Apps, sure. The OS is like the access to those apps.

Don't even bother...he doesn't realize that that the whole cable/TV service revolves around ads. The OS does not, which we pay a set price for, not monthly. If we'll never see the ads like he says then why would they add them....LOL?

Don't even bother...he doesn't realize that that the whole cable/TV service revolves around ads. The OS does not, which we pay a set price for, not monthly. If we'll never see the ads like he says then why would they add them....LOL?

Don't even bother, he doesn't realize that the OS is not going to have what he thinks it will have. If he thinks that is going to have ads popping up all over, why does he even use Microsoft products anymore....LOL?

Nice try but, you pay for the ads when you pay for the service unless, like me, you are using OTA or Netflix. Oh well, I am seriously happy that we have a general idea when the RTM is coming out but, I wish the GA was that soon as well.

Don't even bother, he doesn't realize that the OS is not going to have what he thinks it will have. If he thinks that is going to have ads popping up all over, why does he even use Microsoft products anymore....LOL?

Nice try but, you pay for the ads when you pay for the service unless, like me, you are using OTA or Netflix. Oh well, I am seriously happy that we have a general idea when the RTM is coming out but, I wish the GA was that soon as well.

Really weak argument. I understand perfectly...try again. I'm not going to search my PC for Alexander the Great or pc parts for sale. They can RTM whenever but most won't be buying the phone os.

Really weak argument. I understand perfectly...try again. I'm not going to search my PC for Alexander the Great or pc parts for sale. They can RTM whenever but most won't be buying the phone os.

Wow, you must be a great business man then, right? After all, you can predict the future, right? Most? Source? Yeah, thought so. :D Oh, and to the other reply above, I care and obviously, so do you since you took the time to post.

Are you guys really upset over a feature that can be turned off with one quick change in PC Settings?

Show me the ads then, eh? Sorry, not something off to the side that can be easily ignored but, in your face, cannot turn off ads. Yeah, I thought so too.

I'd recommend a shrink instead. You just had a conversation with yourself.

Going to wait until other people test it out. Win8 gets wacky if it has to self-recover. Backup before update is a must.

Huh? This is red, the other one is blue. Different rules apply just because.

Are you guys really upset over a feature that can be turned off with one quick change in PC Settings?

Upset? No. Annoyed? Yes.

Let me ask this - if they were off by default, would anyone turn them on? Then, are they really a useful feature? I don't think so.

Not a big deal, but it does make me question what Microsoft is planning for the future of Windows. Ad supported OS? Free or still a fee to license?

Upset? No. Annoyed? Yes.

Let me ask this - if they were off by default, would anyone turn them on? Then, are they really a useful feature? I don't think so.

Not a big deal, but it does make me question what Microsoft is planning for the future of Windows. Ad supported OS? Free or still a fee to license?

People use Facebook and Google's search engine.

People use Facebook and Google's search engine.

Those are free services that are driven by ad supported revenue. That's my only concern. If Microsoft want's to offer a lower cost/free version of Windows that is ad supported (I think that rumor has been thrown around years ago), then that'd be fine. But, to buy an OS for full price and have the OS integrated search be ad supported? That's a bit much. Even if you can turn it off, it's going to be enabled on the majority of people's PC's. I wonder how long it will take for advertisers to design ads to look like legitimate links, similar to the 'DOWNLOAD HERE' links on download sites....

On Google, Facebook, Bing - I expect ads. They are a service that makes money off of the ads.

Those are free services that are driven by ad supported revenue. That's my only concern. If Microsoft want's to offer a lower cost/free version of Windows that is ad supported (I think that rumor has been thrown around years ago), then that'd be fine. But, to buy an OS for full price and have the OS integrated search be ad supported? That's a bit much. Even if you can turn it off, it's going to be enabled on the majority of people's PC's. I wonder how long it will take for advertisers to design ads to look like legitimate links, similar to the 'DOWNLOAD HERE' links on download sites....

On Google, Facebook, Bing - I expect ads. They are a service that makes money off of the ads.

They did that with Office 2010's Starter Edition and it actually wasn't that bad. I have it on a couple of computers and it's done in a way that's not super intrusive. You make a good point though about it being something that might get exploited AND it's a good point that you're already paying for the product so you shouldn't have to see ads in it, but pretty much everyone else does it already in print media. :( It makes Creepy Googles into sad pandas.

It would seem by this logic then that Bing searches done on a Windows machine shouldn't have ad links. I think the issue here is that web search and services are a different model than shrink wrapped software. So Windows should now be free because there are some apps and options that show ads because those things are ad sponsored to begin with?

You make a good point though about it being something that might get exploited AND it's a good point that you're already paying for the product so you shouldn't have to see ads in it, but pretty much everyone else does it already in print media. :( It makes Creepy Googles into sad pandas.

When did a Windows license pay for free web searches and services? If I'm buying search related advertising and it shows up in a web browser but not through other experiences then what exactly am I buying. Ads that show up here and not there? Now you have a much harder time selling search ads and the search service becomes less able to make money.

It would seem by this logic then that Bing searches done on a Windows machine shouldn't have ad links. I think the issue here is that web search and services are a different model than shrink wrapped software. So Windows should now be free because there are some apps and options that show ads because those things are ad sponsored to begin with?

No. Bing is completely separate from the OS. I could use Google for all I care. Or Duck Duck Go. I have a choice from the get go. Windows built in search has ads by default.

Would you buy a car that had ads plastered on it? Probably not. But, when you turn on the radio, you expect ads (free, ad supported medium).

When I search online, I expect ads. When I search my PC for things, I don't expect ads nor do I want them.

I do understand you can turn them off, but my thing is that they shouldn't be there in the first place.

Most people do. Ads for the manufacturer, ads for the dealer, ads for the tire manufacturer...

I see adds on cars but they are more like Brand Names, Most car dealerships don't put shit on your car.. You know Kinda like the Apple on an Apple Product.

Your not buying a Ford with MacDonald's stickers on it just because you go to MacDonalds once in a while.

Brand Name != Add.

I can see the Windows Logo on a Windows OS but do I want Bing ads on an OS I paid for Fuck NO. I strongly believe that MS should be forced to give you the option to select your search engine on install.

I strongly believe that MS should be forced to give you the option to select your search engine on install.

They will in the UK. They are using Bing as default, and last time they used something as default where there were other options (IE), Europe through a fit.

I also dislike the ads on the Xbox dashboard (Gold membership should take those away) and Hulu Plus (paid for it, yet I get the same commercials as those free users).

I see adds on cars but they are more like Brand Names, Most car dealerships don't put shit on your car.. You know Kinda like the Apple on an Apple Product.

Your not buying a Ford with MacDonald's stickers on it just because you go to MacDonalds once in a while.

Brand Name != Add.

I can see the Windows Logo on a Windows OS but do I want Bing ads on an OS I paid for Fuck NO. I strongly believe that MS should be forced to give you the option to select your search engine on install.

Not to mention they are easily removed with a heat gun and/or razor.

I hope they will provide a full ISO as I don't like applying a service pack over an existing installation, I find a full clean install with the update integrated produces better results.

Wait... so Windows RT won't exist anymore? Does that mean I'll be able to run any application on my RT tablet?

Wait... so Windows RT won't exist anymore? Does that mean I'll be able to run any application on my RT tablet?

RT still exists along with its app restrictions. That will not change as the underlying ARM hardware does not support normal x86 apps. Both RT and normal Windows 8 are getting an 8.1 update.

No. Bing is completely separate from the OS. I could use Google for all I care. Or Duck Duck Go. I have a choice from the get go. Windows built in search has ads by default.

Would you buy a car that had ads plastered on it? Probably not. But, when you turn on the radio, you expect ads (free, ad supported medium).

When I search online, I expect ads. When I search my PC for things, I don't expect ads nor do I want them.

I do understand you can turn them off, but my thing is that they shouldn't be there in the first place.
microsoft has simply integrated Bing search into the metro search with an option to turn it on or off. it does the same thing as the google search.

there are no ads in the "OS"
this is another nonsensical issue that people will whine about incessantly. notice the lack of whining about the start button...this is the new start button

it's no great mystery...MS has planned for the future deeper integration of search and tying of devices together

eventually we'll be able to simultaneously search local computers, local *pads, local phones, bing, google, and televisions/htpc's/xbox

likely with an option to turn it off as always

microsoft has simply integrated Bing search into the metro search with an option to turn it on or off. it does the same thing as the google search.

there are no ads in the "OS"

Metro search is to search the local PC with the added benefit of searching the web. That is all great, and I enjoy it. But, it is part of the OS. It is the built in search as part of the OS. So, any ads there are in the OS, just as if any ads were in the Control Panel. It's integrated with the OS.

Bing Desktop app, I'd expect ads. Google desktop search, I'd expect ads. But, the Windows search feature? I wouldn't expect them, nor would I want them. Other than the ads, the search everywhere feature is excellent. And I'd love to see it expand to other PC's on the network, portable devices, etc.. That'd be nice. But, if I get an ad while searching my local network for a PDF of Nintendo history, I don't want to see a Wii-U advertisement there alongside the other results.

It's not that big of a deal, really. But, I just don't like it. It doesn't make much sense being there from a consumer standpoint. From a business/advertiser standpoint - it does. But, I want my OS to be consumer oriented, not a product with sponsor stickers.... Put it in the enterprise, and you'll have even more complaints.

Aside from that, and not related to my other points - including search results in the built in search will get exploited soon. I'm sure that someone will click on one of those thinking it's a 'trusted ad' and will go to a site that's infected or opens some pop up that the user clicks to get infected.... And the blame will be pointed at Microsoft. That, and/or the ads will change to look like a legitimate link rather than an ad and a user will mistakenly click on it. Just another angle of attack for malicious attackers.

It's not that big of a deal, really. But, I just don't like it. It doesn't make much sense being there from a consumer standpoint. From a business/advertiser standpoint - it does. But, I want my OS to be consumer oriented, not a product with sponsor stickers.... Put it in the enterprise, and you'll have even more complaints.

It makes a lot of sense from a consumer standpoint. One place to do all searches. Some results then tie directly into other apps and services. It the same kind of thing that people LOVE on smart phones and tablets. I don't understand why the same thing would apply to the PC. And it's not random ads, the ad links are the same ad links that people see in browsers all of the time and most never even think twice about because the links are relevant to the search.

It makes a lot of sense from a consumer standpoint. One place to do all searches. Some results then tie directly into other apps and services. It the same kind of thing that people LOVE on smart phones and tablets. I don't understand why the same thing would apply to the PC. And it's not random ads, the ad links are the same ad links that people see in browsers all of the time and most never even think twice about because the links are relevant to the search.

The search makes a lot of sense from the consumer standpoint. The ads do not. They may be relevant to the search, but they are still misplaced.

I very much welcome and love the search everywhere feature, and it works well. The ads may just get too intrusive, similar to some of the ones when you do a search from the website itself.

Back