Microsoft Dumps Xbox Live Arcade Points

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A time-worn(out) Microsoft tradition is about to come to an end. The practice of purchasing Microsoft Points is being phased out for Xbox 360 and Xbox One with the upcoming update. The disposition of remaining points in gamer’s accounts and the exact date for the completion of the phaseout will be announced by Microsoft at a later date. It's probably a good bet there will be no tears shed over this move by Microsoft. ;)

Previously, gamers wanting to purchase anything on XBLA had to first purchase a batch of Microsoft points — say, 1,600 points for $19.99 — with which they could then actually buy a game.

I loved getting points over actual transactions, I used to get these at discounts all the time, now I have to wait for individual items to get discounted :(

Please tell me the idiotic points system is being phased out for GFWL as well. Those were the stupidest thing around. Having to buy 1000 points to get a 600 point DLC for Fallout3 was downright annoying.

Please tell me the idiotic points system is being phased out for GFWL as well. Those were the stupidest thing around. Having to buy 1000 points to get a 600 point DLC for Fallout3 was downright annoying.

Actually from what I've been reading, Microsoft might be shutting down GFWL. They stopped releasing games for it and they are starting to put games on Steam now.

OT: I did like the point system as you could find the cards for cheap, but it doesn't matter to me, I stopped using Xbox last year, no way in Hell I'm going back!

Actually from what I've been reading, Microsoft might be shutting down GFWL. They stopped releasing games for it and they are starting to put games on Steam now.

OT: I did like the point system as you could find the cards for cheap, but it doesn't matter to me, I stopped using Xbox last year, no way in Hell I'm going back!

I was often getting the card points for $5 to $20 off. I used it purely for the arcade though. Think I paid for 1? DLC.

No bad feelings about this whatsoever. The points never lined up with the purchase, so you were often overpaying for your item. Fans would argue you'd still have surplus points, but if you were an infrequent purchaser, like me, you just ended up having them sit with no return.

The question is what are they going to do with remaining balances? I have 1200ish that I have been whittling down for quite some time before I sell my 360... renting crappy movies and what not (not buying any more games or content for a box I'm going to sell, duh).

Have been thoroughly underwhelmed with the movie selection.... I thought my wife could burn through it easy watching stupid horror movies but there has been very little she has shown interest in.

Wait, so how long then do I have to use whatever points I have left?

Once I learned how to shop for them, I learned to love MSP. I find them under retail all the time. If you shop for PSN cards, they are almost always listed over retail. I would hate to see this happen to MS prepaid cards. Most XBL users dont know how to shop for MSP or they never would have complained about the system. Had most of them found any of the deals that I found, there would be very few complaints. Some people get confused by them but I dont see how. Its a very easy conversion and if they cant figure it out then I want them to be my opponents in every game I play. I will miss the deals that I get with MSP but I understand that I am in the minority.

Back