Final Fantasy VII Hits Steam for PC Gaming

I look forward to buying this and seeing what mods I can get going with it. :)

I thought I remembered hearing that the PC version was more difficult to complete (e.g. the enemies/bosses were harder). Do I remember correctly?

I bought this game when it was new. I hate turn-based RPGs so I gave it away.

This is NOT a new game. They made no changes to it except support for Windows. Bad game is still bad.

This is NOT a new game. They made no changes to it except support for Windows. Bad game is still bad.

This game isn't bad at all. Check out the reviews. It's one of the best top 5 Final Fantasy Games ever made. Just because a game isn't new doesn't mean it's bad.

Heh I still have original install (4 cds!) With ultra higb rez textures.

This is the game that introduced SLI/Crossfire with Creatives Voodoo2's.. I remember buying the 12mb versions and linking them up together.. MAN the changes to EVERYTHING in our lives since then *sigh*

This updated version has been around for while, not sure why it being available through steam is such a big deal?

This is the game that introduced SLI/Crossfire with Creatives Voodoo2's.. I remember buying the 12mb versions and linking them up together.. MAN the changes to EVERYTHING in our lives since then *sigh*

It was a VERY different form of SLI (Scan Line Interleave). Crossfire wasnt even on the radar at this point. I know that you probably think 'its all the same' but i assure you its not.

This updated version has been around for while, not sure why it being available through steam is such a big deal?

There is a new generation of Fanboys, Steam Fanboys who will never play a game unless it's available on Steam. Yes i'm serious.

I still have the 3 CDs of FF7 for PC. Barely works today, it's better off to get the PSX discs and run an emulator then to try and run the PC version.

I wonder if I can use the discs to get any updates for the game on Steam?

Bought it day one for the PS1.

I still have the 3 CDs of FF7 for PC. Barely works today, it's better off to get the PSX discs and run an emulator then to try and run the PC version.

QFT.

This game isn't bad at all. Check out the reviews. It's one of the best top 5 Final Fantasy Games ever made. Just because a game isn't new doesn't mean it's bad.

Yeah that has nothing to do with nostalgia at all I'm sure :)

FF7 was one of those odd games in that it was a step back in someways for me.
-Graphics were a step down, I can excuse the fact this went from 2d realm into 3d but block heads that are "3d" are not an improvement of colorful sprites.
-Combat devolved from 4 characters to 3 characters (from what I gathered programming/memory issue) really changes up what you can and can't do if you only have 4 characters in your party.
-Equipment extremely simplified, you got a weapon and bracelet, no shields, no armor, no helmets... a bracelet. Some might argue this simplification removed that an aspect of the game that could get cumbersome ... I'm not one of those people. I like having armor, even if it's words on a screen, I like the idea of shields, and to a lesser extent helmets.
-World changed, from swords/sorcery with the occasional feat of engineering marvels, to a modern world, that also had monsters and magic. Just didn't jive with me, ditto with FF8 & FF10 (FF9 went back to old school times).

That said I will admit the story was fantastic... well when you break it down into just the story elements.

I think you may have missed the initial release with this game. It originally came out with the monster 3d, the sli voodoo2 would have been insanely over kill for this game at 640x480, which I believe was max supported resolution at the time.

Yeah that has nothing to do with nostalgia at all I'm sure :)

No it really doesn't. I never had a playstation 1 back in the day and while a friend of mine did gift me the PC version, the graphics card I had back when I was on windows 98/2000 didn't support the game so I was never able to play it until I got a playstation 2 way later on and by that time the game was quite dated. I've played lots and lots of RPGs I didn't like or couldn't get into, but FF7 isn't even close to that.

FF7 was one of those odd games in that it was a step back in someways for me.
I feel the same way, especially when compared to the near-perfection that was FF6.

I dislike FF7 because it was the point in the series where style took precedence over the story and gameplay. With the exception of FF9, the feel of the series has taken a weird turn.

Still own the original for PS1 with everything it came with. People pay good money for this version on ebay. Still break it out every once in a while and play it on my PS3 since I have a launch day that has full hardware BC.

To gain exposure to new gamers?

Not sure why the need to complain about it.

apparently, they don't know how to use exchange rates. it costs more euros than dollars while it should be the opposite.

even though i have the ps1 version i still got this just to hope that square releases all the FF games on steam also currently downloading the 20gb bootleg mod torrent :D

I remember playing that game when i was young and i'd probably buy it for nostalgia except for the fact that here in australia they're expecting me to pay $16 for this 20 year old game. I mean that's nowhere near the price of new games but c'mon that price is ridiculous for a game that i'm sure that most people buying it would've already purchased for the playstation.

Actually, what they added was support for steam. This was already a Windows game.

I may be wrong, but the original release had issues with either post xp or x64 operating systems. Perhaps that is why it took so long from when steam said ff7 was coming until it actually got released.

even though i have the ps1 version i still got this just to hope that square releases all the FF games on steam also currently downloading the 20gb bootleg mod torrent :D
Good luck on that one, Square has converted 2 FF games to the PC, FF7 and FF8 (which was a horrible cluster fuck of a game) although I recall news of them redoing FF8. While I'd love to see a lot of these games PCized (Final Fantasy Tactics mmm..... the real one not that shitty gameboy version) I doubt we'll see much from this front.

I may be wrong, but the original release had issues with either post xp or x64 operating systems. Perhaps that is why it took so long from when steam said ff7 was coming until it actually got released.

The original PC release yes, but they re-released a PC version some time ago that made it work with Win7. Steam getting it in their list of games is just them finally getting it in their list of games.

I remember playing that game when i was young and i'd probably buy it for nostalgia except for the fact that here in australia they're expecting me to pay $16 for this 20 year old game. I mean that's nowhere near the price of new games but c'mon that price is ridiculous for a game that i'm sure that most people buying it would've already purchased for the playstation.

If you don't like it then buy the used playstation version for 15 dollars and a used PS1 for 20 dollars if you for some reason didn't have the foresight to keep your playstation. Anyone who truely gives a damn about this series will already have a playstation. If you didn't then your were already missing out before this steam release so you are no worse off then you ever were.

While I'd love to see a lot of these games PCized (Final Fantasy Tactics mmm..... the real one not that shitty gameboy version) I doubt we'll see much from this front.

FFT.... mmm that would be sweet. I considered myself an FFT hipster as I, my brother and his friend+brothers were really into it during the time FF7 was all the rage. I'd love to see a real sequel to it with modern graphics though, that would be orgasmic. However, the only thing I have zero confidence in modern games is sound/music. They either have little oomph or so much variation that it drowns my auditory "palette" if you will, making the sounds forgettable.

I have both the PC and PS1 version of this game, and don't bother with the PC version. I mean PC version from like Direct X5 days.

This is what you do if you wanna play FF7 on your PC.

#1 Get the PSX version.
#2 Get EPSXE.
#3 Make sure to use Pete's OpenGL2 driver.
#4 Get custom shader packs. It'll add the HD to the old PSX games.
#5 Enjoy

Uh.. don't know what you're smoking, but Windows 3.11 for Workgroups was JUST getting replaced by 95 when this game came out on PC

Back