We'll All Be Watching Hi-Def TV on Flights by 2020

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Kent Statler has predicted that by the year 2020, the quality and quantity of bandwidth will increase to the point of providing HDTV on most commercial airlines that want the service. Once the domain of private and corporate jetliners, the friendly skies are beginning to become a bit more accessible to the everyday air traveler.

Bandwidth availability is steadily increasing, Kent Statler, Executive Vice President at avionics company Rockwell Collins said in an interview at the Paris Air Show. It's increasing quickly, too. "It will evolve through time," Statler said, and by 2020, "there will be bandwidth available" to give passengers on large jetliners HDTV.

Awesome so I'll be able to see all those obscure movies I would never choose to watch in HD!

Great, just what we need. Jumbo airliners full of people fighting over the remote.

Viewing angle should not be a problem-- keep shrinking the leg room and we will all sit taller in the seats. . . .

I'm too busy watching the little GPS screen that tells me how retardedly far I am from our destination.

I call BS. I flew united last year and they still have those ancient ceiling mounted flip down screens.

Lol, I am really not even interested in this. I'm good with pre-loaded HD movies on my nook HD+ :)

By 2020 all airlines will have hdtv 4:3 content stretched to 16:9, for an additional $25.

I'd prefer cheaper flights rather than wifi, hd tv, meals, etc. If people really want to watch something they have their laptops, tablets, etc.

I'd prefer cheaper flights rather than wifi, hd tv, meals, etc. If people really want to watch something they have their laptops, tablets, etc.

I agree with you completely. Considering how expensive flights are getting airlines should be looking for ways to cut costs. I'd even be willing to pack my own food if it would save me 50$ on my flight.

I can't imagine the shitty little TV screens add much to the cost of a flight. The cost of installation is spread across many flights and I'm sure maintenance is fuck all compared to the cost of simply keeping the plane in the sky.

Meals are already not included in the ticket price for many shorter hops, and for longer hauls you can't really get rid of them. It's not really practical to pack you own food for long haul flights unless they are going to allow passengers to use frig space and reheating facilities.

Wifi, again, it comes down to whether it's actually adding to the ticket price. The few flights I've been on that had satellite internet that you could get wifi with, it cost a fortune to connect rather than being included in the ticket price.

This. And who wants to watch TV when you have an awesome view anyway. When I got to go on a plane a few years ago my face was pretty much glued to the window and I took tons of pictures too.

This. And who wants to watch TV when you have an awesome view anyway. When I got to go on a plane a few years ago my face was pretty much glued to the window and I took tons of pictures too.
After a couple of 14 hour flights I'm sure you won't feel the same. Though I don't watch TV on shorter flights and planes built for shorter flights tend to not have personal TVs anyway. It's the longer flights where it becomes a bit more necessary to have something to occupy your mind.

Woah did not figure any destination on a plane would take that long. Across the sea I'm guessing? I have been on a 12 hour train ride before though. Went down to Toronto area to visit a friend. That was actually kind of fun but yeah, long. Trees trees trees trees trees electrical line trees trees trees rock trees trees holy crap a moose! trees trees... :D

Because human cows are now so totally lost that they can't sit there for a few hours and just do nothing without complaining about being bored.

Woah did not figure any destination on a plane would take that long. Across the sea I'm guessing? I have been on a 12 hour train ride before though. Went down to Toronto area to visit a friend. That was actually kind of fun but yeah, long. Trees trees trees trees trees electrical line trees trees trees rock trees trees holy crap a moose! trees trees... :D

Oh yea Seattle WA to Kuwait or DC to South Korea are long fucking flights if I didn't have some sort of device to bide my time or at least a bottle of wild turkey I'd lose my fucking mind.

By 2020 all airlines will have hdtv 4:3 content stretched to 16:9, for an additional $25.

aspect_ratio.png

Because human cows are now so totally lost that they can't sit there for a few hours and just do nothing without complaining about being bored.

Until they get supersonic flights between Dallas and Asia there are still a few destinations that take more than a few hours ... even when you sleep, a 12-15 hour flight is a long time if you have nothing to do :cool:

Until they get supersonic flights between Dallas and Asia there are still a few destinations that take more than a few hours ... even when you sleep, a 12-15 hour flight is a long time if you have nothing to do :cool:

What's wrong with talking to yourself or playing hide and seek with your hands that you're pretending are sock puppets that aren't wearing socks?

What's wrong with talking to yourself or playing hide and seek with your hands that you're pretending are sock puppets that aren't wearing socks?

But then the air marshals just handcuff you in the bathroom (which is really boring) or the flight attendants drug you (hmmm that part isn't too bad) ... I always forget to pack my sock puppets anyway :p

WTF is an air marshal lololol

Also, 12-15 hour flight isn't that much. Get a book or something ffs

The Air Marshall is like a TSA guy, except they don't molest you as frequently. :p

WTF is an air marshal lololol

Also, 12-15 hour flight isn't that much. Get a book or something ffs

I am like a walking media center when I travel ... laptop, portable blu ray player, tablet, smartphone, bag full of blu ray movies ... I do have audio books on my smartphone and ebooks on my tablet though ... I also sleep like a baby on airplanes (I wake up every 2 hours and cry :p ) ... the only thing I wish they had on a long flight like that would be an exercise area ... it is good to get up and stretch the legs once in a while :D

I don't quite understand why it would take seven years--all you need is a NAS, a bunch of Raspberry Pis with touchscreens, and ethernet cable.

The Air Marshall is like a TSA guy, except they don't molest you as frequently. :p

Oh, TSA I know. These nice ladies.
TSA.jpg

the only thing I wish they had on a long flight like that would be an exercise area ... it is good to get up and stretch the legs once in a while :D

Well, since you already have an air marshal, I am sure he'd be happy to stretch your legs for you. :D

Well, since you already have an air marshal, I am sure he'd be happy to stretch your legs for you. :D

It is much more fun to have the stewardess chase you up and down the aisles rather than the air marshal ... besides, if you have more than one on a flight they just sit together chanting "WE ARE MARSHALL" :p

I loved all those concepts for the next generation planes where they would have a bar and gym and stuff ... unfortunately, it makes far more sense for the airplanes to pack another 200 or so passengers on the flight than to waste space with big open areas :cool:

Back