EA Changing Origin to Focus on Gamers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, if EA is focusing on gamers now, what the hell were they focusing on before?

With regard to the negative perception of Origin, Wilson stated, "We get it. We understand it. We have heard, we have made some changes already in terms of how we do things, and we're looking at more changes that we'll talk about over the coming months that really are gamer-focused."

that's a cop out. the key is making profits while not coming off like total scumbags. EA has some work to do on that last part.
Well there's long term profits and short term profits. Short term profits are maximized by abusing your customer base. Long term profits are maximized by satisfying your customer base. Current strategy for placating wallstreet is to focus on short term profits. It takes a cult of personality like Jobs, Gates, or Tech Bubble Wiz to offset that desire. But that's only half the problem.

The other half of the problem comes in when customers are sloth-like to respond to being abused. Only now does EA have a bad rep and maybe one or two games have taken on the chin. But the people will still come to the big titles like lemmings.

They should have left Origin alone. As in the Origin Systems Inc. from days of yore.

Speaking with IGN recently, Wilson elaborated on EA Sports' vision of the next generation, as driven by its Ignite Engine. Prior to that, Wilson sold all of his stock in Electronic Arts, but has no plans to leave the company.

Yep that's a vote of confidence in the company you are leading. lol

Public company.......shareholders are the focus. Gotta keep that stock price moving up.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/06/07/why-ea-shares-soared/

EA's dieing like HP. Why? Because the executives are a bunch of Wall St. hats.
1. looking for the best way to maximize profit at any cost (small game with lots of add on packs for basic stuff that should have been in the game in the first place)
2. Not understanding their customer base.
3. Add in cost cutting measures (cheating programing talent of bonuses, and releasing games before they are done so they end up crappy)

They have 3 strikes.

Basically they are in a death spiral. Stock prices, game sales, and online reviews prove this.

Haven't bought a single EA/Origin game since it launched in June 2011 (and I rarely purchased games requiring EADM before that) That means I missed out on ME3, DeadSpace 3, Battlefield and the new Sim City.

No big deal. I think it's way too late to change image now. The only thing that would convince me otherwise is putting their content on Steam.

image.png

Maybe they took that worst company in America thing a little more personal? :)

Although I still think Halliburton takes that cake (watch "Gasland" Part 1 and Part 2).

"You don't want a service that competes with other platforms like Microsoft or Sony or iOS," said Wilson.
what they cant say steam?

I love Origin and Steam. Never had a problem with either. Origin loads fast and has cloud service like Steam does. I'll continue to support both.

How to Fix Origin..

Step 1 - Remove it as a requirement to play their Games.
Step 2 - If you don't want to do Step one either Do step 1 or fuck off.

As a Gamer since the NES...I will Never play any game that forces me to launch through an unnecessary third party bullshit drm system. If that one day results in me ceasing to be a gamer, it will be a sad day but so be it. I will absolutely Never Use services like Steam or Origin for gaming and I will never support any game that if I buy it on a disc requires me to install said services to play.

that's a cop out. the key is making profits while not coming off like total scumbags. EA has some work to do on that last part.

I'm pretty sure if they could make money while coming off as total scumbags, they wouldn't care either way. But being in the business of selling things, they won't make too much profit if everyone perceives them as scumbags.

I could care less about DRM if it never bothers me. As soon as I have one issue with it then it is obvious that it never should be there in the first place. It should be 100% transparent to the legitimate user and never bother them. As soon as it goes beyond that then there is an issue.

Close down Origins. I'm not getting an Origins account even if it means I will never play ME 3, Deadspace 3, or Sim City. EA we have been tired of you for years and you have stepped over the line.

Offer Battlefield 4 on Steam and some other newer titles and maybe you'll earn my blessing...

Why can't EA just make The Sims 3 easier to install, patch and play? :mad: I hate how I have to do their online thing to get a patch and I hate seeing dumb in-game ads for new clothes that even the expansions don't have because I have to buy them all microtransaction style like they're CCP and this is EVE or something (which is an awful MMO by the way because it kills puppies and is from those rotten Bolivian people that live in Iceland).

For years I had hoped EA would "get it".

Like others, I have not purchased an EA game in years because of their bullshit. Now, I just hope they go away once and for all; so fuck 'em and good riddance.

Origin is bad enough,

but honestly... I think the reason they can say this is because they aren't doing a damn thing about Battlelog. Which is the worst damn thing in history.

"social/browser/game tracker/BS"

Just let me in the GAME... NOW.

Freaking BattleFaceFieldBook3.

They need to DROP IT or I'm going to skip BF4, even though I like the game elements they are bringing back... I can not STAND everything that comes along with the game.

MORE GAME PLEASE, LESS CRAP.

The above post is getting to the point. Can I fault EA, whom is a PUBLISHER who's sole purpose is to distribute games into the channels for wanting to do just that? Nope. But the way they did somethings was senseless. Their big launch title to try to finally put users on to origin was BF3 and BF3 from the PC side might be the worst rube Goldberg mechanism created in gaming yet.

Why was battlelog completely separate from origin? You had to add different friends. Installing BF3 was like a 4 - 5 installation process and it depicted exactly why people think PC gaming is complicated. And since BF3 was most peoples first experience with origin that's what they based it off of. You had to install origin, BF3, punkbuster, and plugins for battlelog and most also needed GPU drivers. WTF really? steam rolls all of those into a single install. And that only changes when you buy a third party game which might need to install on its own.

I never play any games asking me to install Origin/Games for Windows/Any other Steam clone... I already have steam, if you want me to play your game, make it available to steam, that's it and that's all. On my Android phone, everything is on the Google Play, I don't need 15 different diffusion plateforms, why should I need more than one on my PC?

The above post is getting to the point. Can I fault EA, whom is a PUBLISHER who's sole purpose is to distribute games into the channels for wanting to do just that? Nope. But the way they did somethings was senseless. Their big launch title to try to finally put users on to origin was BF3 and BF3 from the PC side might be the worst rube Goldberg mechanism created in gaming yet.

Why was battlelog completely separate from origin? You had to add different friends. Installing BF3 was like a 4 - 5 installation process and it depicted exactly why people think PC gaming is complicated. And since BF3 was most peoples first experience with origin that's what they based it off of. You had to install origin, BF3, punkbuster, and plugins for battlelog and most also needed GPU drivers. WTF really? steam rolls all of those into a single install. And that only changes when you buy a third party game which might need to install on its own.

Thanks for condensing my random rant into something more sensible.

I just get too worked up every time EA does stuff like this, because we all know nothing is ever going to change.

And co-opting the name "Origin" was always entirely unforgivable to me. It may just be gaming, but turning the name of the greatest game studio in history into a buzzword for a bad online game sales site is just... wrong on a million levels.

With regard to the negative perception of Origin, Wilson stated, "We get it. We understand it. We have heard, we have made some changes already in terms of how we do things, and we're looking at more changes that we'll talk about over the coming months that really are gamer-focused".

That's why we are releasing Titanfall, and Dragon Age III with pre-order day 1 DLC items.:rolleyes:

Have they stopped their mandatory software and hardware inspection or spying as a normal person calls it? At least Steam allows you to opt in or out.

That's my biggest grudge. Why should I open up my computer to someone just because I purchased a product from them? I don't have to give my toilet routine to Andrex just because I buy their loo roll.

Why can't EA just make The Sims 3 easier to install, patch and play? :mad: I hate how I have to do their online thing to get a patch and I hate seeing dumb in-game ads for new clothes that even the expansions don't have because I have to buy them all microtransaction style like they're CCP and this is EVE or something (which is an awful MMO by the way because it kills puppies and is from those rotten Bolivian people that live in Iceland).

Seriously. You could buy the older expansions on Gamersgate. Now they require Origin. That's aggravating. Backing up and installing from downloaded Gamersgate files is super easy, Origin is a pain in the ass.

Fortunately you can disable the in game store stuff. I forget the exact setting, look around in the options menus. Once it's unchecked you won't see the microtransaction crap in build/buy mode.

Games cost more on Origin where I live here, while on Steam, we get the same price as US does.

So, while I'm fine with the way Origin functions, I would still prefer to buy Battlefield 4 (if I do) from a cd-key store and activate it on Origin, the way I did with Battlefield 3

Haven't bought a single EA/Origin game since it launched in June 2011 (and I rarely purchased games requiring EADM before that) That means I missed out on ME3, DeadSpace 3, Battlefield and the new Sim City.

No big deal. I think it's way too late to change image now. The only thing that would convince me otherwise is putting their content on Steam.

Same here

The oxymoronic comment "put it on Steam" is mind blowing. How easy people are manipulated by marketing.

Back