Time Warner Bringing TV To The Xbox 360

HardOCP News

[H] News
Time Warner and Microsoft announced a deal today that will bring three hundred live TV channels to the Xbox 360.

In a landmark deal announcement for Xbox 360 and Time Warner Cable customers, we’re excited to share a new partnership that will deliver up to 300 of the most popular live TV channels to Xbox 360 for Xbox Live Gold members. This deal, which will bring more live channels than any other experience on Xbox 360, will offer Time Warner Cable subscribers with an Xbox Live Gold membership the ability to watch their favorite shows from right from their Xbox 360 — including favorites like AMC, BBC World News, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central, Food Network, HGTV and more. And unlike any other platform, you’ll be able to control your entertainment using your voice via Kinect for Xbox 360.

Fucking finally! I'm a TWC customer and it's been crazy that this hasn't been a thing sooner.

I haven't had cable/sat in 2.5 years. I'm a TWC internet only customer, I just got burned out on regular TV. I sometimes watch Hulu and it drives me crazy.

Looks like you still need to be a Time Warner Cable subscriber. I don't see the benefit of this deal other than not having to rent a cable box? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Might have to keep my 360 then after all if i decide to finally cut the cable....

Ahhhh your right u need to be a subscriber never mind totally not worth it they are just trying to compete with Comcast Streaming Content I guess....

Looks like you still need to be a Time Warner Cable subscriber. I don't see the benefit of this deal other than not having to rent a cable box? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

you are right.

they are just trying to get TWC internet only customers to fanboi up and get a tv subscription also :rolleyes:

Well since the Xbone doesnt have a coax input, my guess is this is more or less bridging the gap for a DVR system and networks. Imagine having PiP while playing Halo and watching your favorite TV show. Or being able to quickly flip between your game and tv show between rounds or whatever. And having Tivo type recording abilities the whole time. Just stuff like that.

no way I'm getting cable for this.... buuuuuuut, my girlfriend has TW cable.... hmmmm

If I'm already paying for Time Warner Cable (which I am, unfortunately), why would I want this? To prevent the enourmous strain to my musculoskeletal system involved in pressing the change input button on my tv remote?

Stupid

If I'm already paying for Time Warner Cable (which I am, unfortunately), why would I want this? To prevent the enourmous strain to my musculoskeletal system involved in pressing the change input button on my tv remote?

Stupid

You won't have to spend $10 a month renting a box! That is the only thing I see as a benefit. Then again, you lose any DVR capabilities since the 360 doesn't allow it, as far as I know anyway.

This makes no sense if you have to already be paying for their cable TV service. I guess it could get rid of a DVR box if you don't want one where the xbox is but still pretty irrelevant.

Stupid

Because, Time Warner Cable is better with Kinect! :p

I suppose in the long run (if you don't need DVR), this deal will save you about ~$60-70 a year since you can get XBL for what, $50 a year? $10 a month to rent a cable top box from TWC, or $50 a year for XBL to watch T.V.

Stupid

Or... if you are like me and only have coax hook up in the living room and master bedroom and would like to have a way to offer cable to family members when they visit every other month and stay for the weekend.

Agreed.
If you didn't need to be a cable TV subscriber, this would be an excellent reason to dump cable.
Unfortunately, I am a big college football fan......and TV is it, so I have to pay for both the cable and the interwebz.

I can't wait for ala-carte cable use.....if that ever happens.:eek:

You won't have to spend $10 a month renting a box! That is the only thing I see as a benefit. Then again, you lose any DVR capabilities since the 360 doesn't allow it, as far as I know anyway.

At least you're not having to spend $500 to save $10/month...

O wait... :cool:

ala-carte would rule and I remember reading something about google wanting to test it out. We have comcast here and pretty much to get a deal on cable you have to get the tv package too.

It would be nice if they offered those channels for like $20-30/month for non twc subscribers. Where i live we only have the locally owned cable company (70 channels and 5mb max dl speed internet for $101/month). That is without HD channels to boot. If i could pay the $50 for my net and $20-$30 for the channels TWC offers(in HD) i would definitely do it.

Its funny that Time Warner did this deal and isnt pushing there Triple Play bundles anymore as of a couple of months ago which was in the news as well.

What is the benefit of this? I still have a subscription to both services. I get to use kinect to change channels? That is it? I won't complain about it since they are not forcing you to subscribe to either. But I just don't see why the average consumer should get excited about this.

So you can use the Kinect as a remote. Pass. I honestly don't see anything on Cable TV that impresses me enough to watch it. And for those talking about having guests over and this could be an extra cable box; why not just get a Cable Card Tuner for your PC?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why do we even need time warner cable for anything other than internet? Lets get rid of the middle man robbing up everyone and pipe directly from the content providers.

I don't know guys, from what I'm reading...you still have to either have DVR or the set-top box from TWC, in addition to the 360.

I'm failing to see how this is being advertised as some benefit. Seems virtually useless.

Well since the Xbone doesnt have a coax input, my guess is this is more or less bridging the gap for a DVR system and networks. Imagine having PiP while playing Halo and watching your favorite TV show. Or being able to quickly flip between your game and tv show between rounds or whatever. And having Tivo type recording abilities the whole time. Just stuff like that.

What? Humans can't focus attention on two things at once. So you're either ignoring your video game or you're ignoring your TV show. There's just no reason to try to do something and watch something at the same time.

This is just like the HBO-go scam, great I can now watch HBO on my xbox or internet... oh wait I have to have a cable TV sub. eff that I'll just buy the shows I want through iTunes or stream them. They really should have had some deal for TW internet customers.

Realize this is just another Cable App like the Xfinitiy app. They'll keep 5-6 episode history of most (not all) of their shows that you'll be able to navigate to and play. Initially the Xfinity app quality was pretty stellar. Although they've dialed that back. But its still usually better than their over-compressed broadcasts.

Back