Microsoft Restructuring Nears asTop Execs Ponder Their Fate

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Senior Execs at Microsoft are beginning to get a little shaky at the prospect of a company-wide restructuring program instituted by Steve Ballmer with details shared only with his inner circle of top execs and board members. Microsoft management paradigm has remained largely static since Bill Gates ran the show and all of this talk of lateral job shifts, consolidation and outright departures has many wondering about job security.

“It feels like it is going to be titanic — that Steve is doing this change for his legacy,” said one person close to the situation. “And it’s the first time in a long time that it feels like that there will be some major shifts, including some departures.”

Ballmer should be the first one to get fired.

this. unless ballmer leaves then any restructuring amounts to little more than arranging the deck chairs on the titanic. fandrones and investors will point to stock price and profits but helicopter view is they're coasting on enterprise license sales and momentum. and the problem with coasting on momentum is you're slowing down. trying to stake the company focus in consumer offerings lately has met with shaky reception at best.

Well, he's willing to completely buttfuck one of the world's largest companies in order to jerk his own ego off... I figure somewhere he's going to fuck up and it'll cost him everything.

Ballmer is not going anywhere he is the one doing the restructuring.

RTFA trolls

Well, he's willing to completely buttfuck one of the world's largest companies in order to jerk his own ego off... I figure somewhere he's going to fuck up and it'll cost him everything.

Cost him everything? More like cost Microsoft everything. :(

Any serious restructuring, atleast IMO, would be putting Bill back in charge to get shit squared away.

Any serious restructuring, atleast IMO, would be putting Bill back in charge to get shit squared away.
I agree. I'm thinking that Bill coming out of retirement, at least for awhile, is the only way to get things sorted out. That and replacing Ballmer with someone competent.

Yup. While Bill was a programmer and hacker, he was also ruthless as a CEO.

He's unique. Both a geek and a wolf.

Not sure anyone out there is any better at making money from computers. Jobs was only a wolf, and a loser when Bill retired in 2000.

I agree. I'm thinking that Bill coming out of retirement, at least for awhile, is the only way to get things sorted out. That and replacing Ballmer with someone competent.

Gates is making as much money now with investing as he did at MS, and all the while putting the majority of his effort and time into humanitarian/philanthropic causes. That's like winning x 9001. As cool as it would be to have him back in the saddle, I just can't see it happening.

It comes to show the scary state of the job market though, when even big companies like Microsoft are doing this restructuring stuff. That's going to be a lot of IT type people looking for jobs in a market where it's already hard to get a job. Then again these are execs, so they probably don't even know much.

Without knowing much about the company I can't say whether or not it may be needed though. If a company can still operate properly after such restructuring, then it does make you wonder what these people even did or how important it was. And these are execs were talking about, so they probably have enough money on hand to live a very wealthy life anyway.

Julie Larson-Green will get the boot, no pun intended.
On the otherhand they may not blame their 'projects'. But rather the marketing & PR of their 'projects'. She may end up with an even better job.

This actually the first smart move I've ever heard of Balmer making. I live in Redmond, and I've lost count of how many MS employees I know who can't actually tell me what their job is. But they all are convinced that they're critical to the company's success. I've probably met hundreds of MS employees, but I've yet to meet a single developer. I sometimes wonder if they actually exist, or if they all quit years ago, and the company just hasn't noticed.

Back