Foxconn to Hire 3,000 to Develop Firefox OS

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Foxconn Taiwan will be partnering up with Mozilla to develop Mozilla’s new HTML-5 Firefox operating System. The move will create 3K new hires in Taiwan to complete the project.

Foxconn is developing more than five devices running the Firefox OS for its customers, the company said at Taipei's annual Computex trade show earlier this month. It intends to design Firefox OS reference models that will cover smartphones, tablets, laptops and TVs

The new building will be 1 story probably.
Would be nice to have a snappy interface for the tv. Some internet enabled tv's are just so sluggish going from menu to menu.

Firefox is the third best browser after Lynx and IE so this is pretty good stuff. Foxconn is well known for getting employees to make a lifetime career of their employment with the company. This is like a match made in Heaven for the two companies to produce something 50% less creepy than a Google-made OS.

Good. I'm starting to get aggravated with Android. Every app wants your first born and your SSN to run. The "bundled" (see non-removable without root) Google apps are getting more intrusive too. I like Chrome better than FF now but I refuse to use it since Google already has enough of my online life on file.

FireFox OS?

So when they release it, it will run great, do awesome things, but after a year or two get upgraded 500 times and be just as useless as IE?

I <3 Chrome

There's already iOS and Android, with Tizen coming out. Is there really a demand for a 4th phone OS? Windows Phone has already failed.

There's already iOS and Android, with Tizen coming out. Is there really a demand for a 4th phone OS? Windows Phone has already failed.

You forgot Ubuntu for mobile devices and how that'll seamlessly connect between it and the desktop Ubuntu version. It actually looks promising too.

Both Ubuntu Mobile and Firefox OS if I recall are backwards compatible with Android Apps, and with Ubuntu Mobile also being compatible with Ubuntu desktop programs/apps.

It's going to be interesting when these newer OSes are released. However, it doesn't fix the stupidly high Android device fragmentation. It does give us more mobile OS choices outside of Google's Android.

Please. Windows Phone has not failed. In fact it is growing. It's fast, stable and yes, it does have apps.

a software team of 3000?? I predict nothing but success.

You can have 3 million devs and it dont mean crap if the designers are incompetent like the mozilla guys are. Its basically just going to be 3000 devs copying chrome and opera.

So this is why Firefox is jacking over their PC browser, to try the same shit Microsoft did with PC based Windows 8 to help sell their Windows 8 Phone OS?

Please. Windows Phone has not failed. In fact it is growing. It's fast, stable and yes, it does have apps.

Microsoft has gone from 12% of the smartphone market to 3% of the market over the last 5 years. They've failed at mobile.

So how much memory will it need after a few hours of use. :D.

Back