Best Buy Recalls MacBook Pro Batteries

HardOCP News

[H] News
Anyone that bought a replacement battery for their MacBook Pro should read this. I know most of you don't own a MacBook Pro but you have friends and family that might.

The firm has received 13 reports that the battery caught fire, including one report of a serious burn to a consumer’s leg. Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled battery, remove it from the computer and contact Best Buy for a replacement Apple brand battery or a $50 Best Buy gift card as a full refund. Best Buy is contacting its customers directly.

This problem pops up from time to time even in name brand batteries. It's time companies spend the extra few pennies to include temperature monitoring into their charging circuitry. If a temp of "X" is reached, charging stops until the battery pack cools down to a safe level. Of course I'm sure the fact that high temps and overcharging result in more battery sales has nothing to do with what seems like a lazy design omission. This problem isn't even limited to laptops. When the back of my cell phone gets warm enough to be uncomfortable to hold while charging, I consider it sort of ridiculous.

Buy apple branded batteries next time and less chance of this happening. Or better yet buy the new laptops from apple that you cannot change out the battery then you wont have to worry, when your battery dies send back the device.

It's because under the Service Plan, I mean... Idiot Squad Black Tie Protection Plan, you get a replacement battery and AC Adapter as part of the plan in addition to repairs to the notebook in question.

What they don't tell you at Worst Buy is that the "Protection Plan" doesn't give you authentic replacement items. I used to work for these idiots so I know what goes on in that place.

For instance... the replacement AC Adapters that are provided are not, I repeat, NOT OEM replacement devices. More often than not they are underrated for what they are supposed to output and they burn up or they put out way too much power and burn out the motherboard. I can't tell you how many notebooks came in after having those "replacement AC Adapters" with burned AC adapter jacks or AC adapters that failed after a week of use.

Same goes for the replacement batteries as well. Cheap Chinese junk!

What do you expect from Worst Buy? Quality products? Quality customer service? Good luck getting that from that awful company! Whatever happens to that company, they completely deserve it!

I was going to flame Apple, but it looks like Best Buy beat me to it :)

Buy apple branded batteries next time and less chance of this happening. Or better yet buy the new laptops from apple that you cannot change out the battery then you wont have to worry, when your battery dies send back the device.

Actually, shortly before Apple switched to non-user-serviceable batteries, they faced one of the largest recalls, EVER, of their own batteries due to bloating problems and defects.

mbp-bloat-take-204-440.jpg

(Not just Apple was affected... but the move towards integrated batteries seemed awfully ill timed and illogical considering what they had just gone through.)

Back