Microsoft's Surface RT Ditching NVIDIA?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the rumor mill, Microsoft is ditching NVIDIA in favor of using Qualcomm’s Snapdragon processors in its Surface RT.

Some new versions of Surface will be based on Qualcomm’s Snapdragon processors, which can deliver fast wireless data connections, said the people, who asked not to be identified because Microsoft has yet to announce new models. Nvidia Corp. (NVDA), whose Tegra chip is used in the current Surface RT, will continue as a supplier for some versions, one person said.

Not ditching but supplementing it would appear:

Nvidia Corp. (NVDA), whose Tegra chip is used in the current Surface RT, will continue as a supplier for some versions, one person said.

Yeah, it sounds like the Snapdragon model will be used in cellular enabled models. lol, that's not the problem with Windows RT.

#justkillitalready

From what I heard there is a Surface 2 RT and Pro coming out with the launch of Windows 8.1. The RT is said to have either snapdrage 600-800 Quadcore SoC with the option of LTE and will have a 7" and 10" version. The Surface Pro 2 will have two options a cheaper AMD APU version and a Higher-end Haswell version with LTE.

From what I heard, there is a few Surface 2 RT and Pro coming out with the launch of Windows 8.1. The RT is said to have either Snapdragon 600-800 SoC with the optional LTE and will have a 7" and 10" version. The Surface Pro 2 will have two options a cheaper AMD APU version and a Higher-end Haswell version with LTE optional on both.

From what I heard, there is a few Surface 2 RT and Pro coming out with the launch of Windows 8.1. The RT is said to have either Snapdragon 600-800 SoC with the optional LTE and will have a 7" and 10" version. The Surface Pro 2 will have two options a cheaper AMD APU version and a Higher-end Haswell version with LTE optional on both.

It's unfortunate for NVIDIA. They've done some good work with Tegra, but just not good enough. Or perhaps just too expensive relative to the competition, which wouldn't come as a surprise.

It's interesting considering the Tegra 4 has a pretty cool modem. Seems like it'd be a good fit given Microsoft's goals.

Guess nvidia over promising & under delivering with cell manufacturers is really catching up with them.

Source? I'm literally dying for the Surface Pro 2 with Haswell.

Back