Nvidia To License Its GPU Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this blog post, NVIDIA has plans to license its GPU technology to device manufacturers.

We’ll start by licensing the GPU core based on the NVIDIA Kepler architecture, the world’s most advanced, most efficient GPU. Its DX11, OpenGL 4.3, and GPGPU capabilities, along with vastly superior performance and efficiency, create a new class of licensable GPU cores. Through our efforts designing Tegra into mobile devices, we’ve gained valuable experience designing for the smallest power envelopes. As a result, Kepler can operate in a half-watt power envelope, making it scalable from smartphones to supercomputers.

More like they see money, and like all good corporations, decided to chase it ;).

You present a different PoV of the same thing. They didn't feel any need to enter that market until now. In my opinion this move is more important than all their server/arm efforts combined. They don't have any fabs to share, so they do what they can.

They're feeling the heat. GO RED!

It seems my first reply to your post went missing somehow for an unknown reason (database hiccup?).... while yours oddly remains. :confused: They both were about the same in substance and relevance. Regardless, I'd say it's safe to say AMD has nothing to do with this considering they don't even sell mobile chips :rolleyes: .

You present a different PoV of the same thing. They didn't feel any need to enter that market until now. In my opinion this move is more important than all their server/arm efforts combined. They don't have any fabs to share, so they do what they can.

Errrr, no, they've been selling SoC for Android tablets & phones (+ now x86 Win8 PC's) for years now. "Red" has nothing to do with it, and I wasn't discussing the same thing at all.

I wonder who will be the first.

I don't really see Apple or Samsung going for it.

The only reasons why you would license out your own IP out like this is either, you see a profitable market developing for it or you are seeing the writing on the wall and this is a last ditch effort to keep yourself relevant in your market.

It can go both ways on why Nvidia is doing this but I am more than willing to bet it is the later.

The only reasons why you would license out your own IP out like this is either, you see a profitable market developing for it or you are seeing the writing on the wall and this is a last ditch effort to keep yourself relevant in your market.

It can go both ways on why Nvidia is doing this but I am more than willing to bet it is the later.

Yep, huge profits & 60%+ marketshare compared to AMD with ~30%, they sure are trying to stay relevant.... :rolleyes:.

They used to do this back in the 90's...then they stopped it. I guess now they see the error in their ways.

Kind of hard for them to feel the heat, when their products outsell amd's by a wide margin.

They're a pretty forward thinking company and see the tide shifting with AMD in next gen consoles. If the majority of pc ports start being optimized for AMD hardware, it's going to become hard for most people to justify paying more for physx and worse performance.

What are you smoking? Tetra 4 is amazing, and Kepler was nothing short of magical... Anyone who can deny that nvidia has, by FAR, has the best GPUs in the world is either blind folded or just woke up after falling into a coma in 2007.

Yep, huge profits & 60%+ marketshare compared to AMD with ~30%, they sure are trying to stay relevant.... :rolleyes:.

all 3 next gen consoles use amd hardware meaning nvidia is less relevant to the game makers for the next 8 years. amd's open cl initiative is starting to bear fruit in real world applications. tegra is a mess and nvida's pc dominance ammounts to nothing if all games have to be optimized for nvidia hardware costing big green a lot of money in the process... the writing is on the wall and they are getting desperate.

by the way them licensing their technology is only a way to get the brand out there enough to saturate the market

I hope they license multi-texturing. :D

lol stupid 3dfx and its Waterloo.

What are you smoking? Tetra 4 is amazing, and Kepler was nothing short of magical... Anyone who can deny that nvidia has, by FAR, has the best GPUs in the world is either blind folded or just woke up after falling into a coma in 2007.

kepler was magical? tegra 4 is amazing?

lol. What are you smoking?

AMD released the 7970 in dec 2011 and Nvidia only in the last couple months released something that outperformed it. That is pretty damned far from magical.

Here is one problem with licensing from nvidia, they charge a lot. Sony been burned by it. There are other options too. I can see why they would want to do it, because Tegra isn't growing as fast as they want it to, and if they can't sell the whole chip, selling at least the GPU seems ok.

It's hilarious how they are up selling Tegra though, there is more then one option that's already better.

kepler was magical? tegra 4 is amazing?

lol. What are you smoking?

AMD released the 7970 in dec 2011 and Nvidia only in the last couple months released something that outperformed it. That is pretty damned far from magical.

What on Earth are you talking about? The Radeon 7970 came out a couple of months earlier @ $550 MSRP, than the $500 MSRP GTX 680 which at the time outperformed the 7970 by 5-10% across most launch reviews. Drivers have overall kept them pretty close to even. Kepler was indeed a fantastic launch and architecture.

So you basically just confirmed what I said. Thanks.

You said that "nvidia only in the last couple of months released anything outperforming it (7970)" when that is false: they released a card in early 2012 that outperformed the 7970 and was cheaper to boot!

LOL, it's funny seeing people predicing nVidia's doom and gloom. What just because of the consoles? Right, consoles are the only GPU application that matters. :rolleyes:

You said that "nvidia only in the last couple of months released anything outperforming it (7970)" when that is false: they released a card in early 2012 that outperformed the 7970 and was cheaper to boot!

so for a relatively short time Nvidia had a product that was 5-10 percent faster, and cheaper, then amd closed the performance gap and reduced the price to lower than Nvidia. And in the last couple of months Nvidia finally regained the performance crown, and oh by the way are charging a pretty hefty premium for it. Because when you have the performance crown you can charge for it.

Even today, the 7970 is cheaper than the 680.

Your argument is full of holes.

The only thing kepler has/had going for it is the efficiency card, you should be making that argument instead of the silly one you are choosing to make.

The fact is AMD released a product first, and throughout its life it proved to be the equal of whatever Nvidia came up with, and it's been cheaper than Nvidia's offerings for quite some time.

Therefore, and I hope you have been following along, until the 7xx series, when the entire life cycle of the product is considered, AMD had the better product, and that they got to market first is pretty darn amazing.

LOL, it's funny seeing people predicing nVidia's doom and gloom. What just because of the consoles? Right, consoles are the only GPU application that matters. :rolleyes:
People are also under the misapprehension that it's a terrifically profitable place for AMD to be. That isn't really the case.

Maybe nVidia just wants to ensure it has more routes of income. They may simply want to have a few other fires burning in case future events really dig into their cash cows. Or, what if they have some massive GPU delay (a la 3dfx Rampage).

I think it may not be a reaction to anything so much as a proactive approach to give itself additional future assets. Small companies might be able to pass with a single product, but usually even those have more than one thing. Companies that don't think and plan ahead tend to have major trouble when their one-trick pony breaks it's leg.

People are also under the misapprehension that it's a terrifically profitable place for AMD to be. That isn't really the case.

I don't really know how profitable the console contracts are for AMD, but I believe it should at least keep them out of any financial trouble. Both AMD and nVidia isn't going anywhere in the near future and I hope it stays that way.

ITT; AMD can do no wrong and anything nVidia does means they are trying to save a sinking ship.

Seriously, I am not a fanboy by any means, but Nvidia is clearly the better choice atm. Didn't Kyle and them do a review of a 670 vs 7970 and the 670 beat it in almost every test? Found it.

I have been looking at a 770, but I have to have a Nvidia card since I primarily live on Linux.

"S#!t we missed the console boat by out bidding ourselves, what can we do?"

Yeah whoring out your products on a license is going to make money, but as much as the console industry, the biggest market out there besides phones?

Can you provide any links to back up your statements? Anything that shows your statement to be true?

so for a relatively short time Nvidia had a product that was 5-10 percent faster, and cheaper, then amd closed the performance gap and reduced the price to lower than Nvidia. And in the last couple of months Nvidia finally regained the performance crown, and oh by the way are charging a pretty hefty premium for it. Because when you have the performance crown you can charge for it.

Even today, the 7970 is cheaper than the 680.

Your argument is full of holes.

The only thing kepler has/had going for it is the efficiency card, you should be making that argument instead of the silly one you are choosing to make.

The fact is AMD released a product first, and throughout its life it proved to be the equal of whatever Nvidia came up with, and it's been cheaper than Nvidia's offerings for quite some time.

Therefore, and I hope you have been following along, until the 7xx series, when the entire life cycle of the product is considered, AMD had the better product, and that they got to market first is pretty darn amazing.

The 7970 wasn't cheaper for quite awhile later, and even then it took pre-oc'd cards to beat the GTX 680 finally ("ghz edition") which cost roughly the same again initially. The 770 has now replaced the 680, so I'm not sure why you refer to the 680 "being more" when the 770 is actually lower MSRP than the 7970 while being faster again now. Add in better drivers overall, more features (physx, txaa, driver-level ssao), working multi-card support (stutter-fest CrossFire = no!, slow driver updates for games for CrossFire = no!) and it's little wonder the GTX 670 alone sold more than the Radeon 7970 and 7950 combined (in fact I think around double from the older Steam Survey stats trends). Radeons are viewed as budget products now, not premium offerings for obvious reasons. That's unfortunate and hopefully will change back around soon because more competition = better cards at lower prices for consumers :D.

Back