AMD Unveils Server Strategy and Roadmap

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today publicly disclosed its strategy and roadmap to recapture market share in enterprise and data center servers by unveiling innovative products that address key technologies and meet the requirements of the fastest-growing data center and cloud computing workloads.

Additionally, AMD revealed details of its 2014 server portfolio including best-in-class Accelerated Processing Units (APUs), two- and four-socket CPUs, and details on what it expects to be the industry’s premier ARM server processor. This is on the heels of announcing the general availability of the AMD Opteron™ X-Series processor, code named “Kyoto,” which dominates the small-core server market on every performance benchmark. These forthcoming AMD Opteron™ processors bring important innovations to the rapidly changing compute market, including integrated CPU and GPU compute (APU); high core-count ARM servers for high-density compute in the data center; and substantial improvements in compute per-watt per-dollar and total cost of ownership.

I'm curious about Seattle, more so of the integrated GPU. It seems it will come out way before Project Denver (now Parker).

What AMD should do is further build on it's server offerings and introduce a consumer enthusiast platform that is dual or quad socket APU with the ability to scale the IGP's in Xfire.

4.1GHz 8 or 16 core with twin or quad Radeon 7750 equivalent would be sweet for around $300-600 combined APU price.

Don't need a high end GPU on my servers, even the base Intel video is more than enough.
I'll be sticking with dual Inel Xeon 6 core CPU's in my servers for now. Best bang for the $.

Okay so is "Berlin" going to be an AM3+ version of Kaveri since it is replacing the Opteron 3xxx parts? Or is it going to be FM2+? Either way I sure hope some of the motherboard manufacturers step up to the plate and give proper overclocking support for the server-side silicon of Steamroller.

What AMD should do is further build on it's server offerings and introduce a consumer enthusiast platform that is dual or quad socket APU with the ability to scale the IGP's in Xfire.

4.1GHz 8 or 16 core with twin or quad Radeon 7750 equivalent would be sweet for around $300-600 combined APU price.

Because that worked great with Quad FX... no wait...

Because that worked great with Quad FX... no wait...

Well, it would take some tweaking and require that tangible focus be placed on GPU driver development, but I think it could make for one hell of a great budget multi-GPU system with no dedicated cards needed. I imagine having the IGP's Xfire'd through the direct SMP CPU interconect would yield a pretty positive result in overall graphics performance and multi-GPU scaling. Again, depending on exceptional driver support for appications/games.

Back