Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie Ready by Late October

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Are you ready for some pie? Not just any old pie, not Mom’s apple pie, not Raspberry Pi, but fresh Key Lime Pie and it’s on the Android menu beginning in October. The guys over at VR-Zone have sources on the inside saying that Android 5.0, better known as Key Lime Pie, will be making its debut sometime in the late fall.

Android 5.0 will be an optimized OS and will run well even on devices with 512 MB of RAM. The last time that happened, we were in 2010 running Gingerbread (Android 2.3).

Does that mean my POS android phone form 2010 that never worked right can have a chance to not work right with key lime pie?

Not to totally hate on the android upgrade cycle, but it has been a loathsome companion to every android device I have had to date (the S3 might break that cycle, but only time will tell). It'd be nice if this was a sign of some dialogue between Google, the manufacturers, and the providers to offer a broad upgrade opportunity. We all know it isn't, but it'd be nice.

I look forward to this, 4.0 didn't impress me till 4.1 and there are quite a bit of rumors from the development side that pegs 5.0 as a dream OS.

Wonder if google finally standardized alot more with this OS.

LOL I was joking around with myself saying this would be the name of the next Android back when ICS first came out. ;)

Hope Samsung brings it to my Galaxy S3 and (Tab 2 7.0), otherwise I'm not eligible for an upgrade until Oct 2014 and I'm sure 6.0 will be released or close to it.

Does that mean my POS android phone form 2010 that never worked right can have a chance to not work right with key lime pie?

Not to totally hate on the android upgrade cycle, but it has been a loathsome companion to every android device I have had to date (the S3 might break that cycle, but only time will tell). It'd be nice if this was a sign of some dialogue between Google, the manufacturers, and the providers to offer a broad upgrade opportunity. We all know it isn't, but it'd be nice.

Get a Nexus phone and you'll receive updates within a day or two of their release.

Just because the OS will run on 512 mb of RAM, doesn't mean the Apps will.

My GNex with 4.2.2 and my standard assortment of apps is struggling.

No. Because the support for your device has long died, unless of course a developer is nice to port it.

Carriers/Manufacturers drop support pretty rapidly. Heck, I'm not even sure my Galaxy S4 will get "official" 5.0. Luckily XDA solves most of this.

There most likely will be a Nexus 5 (hmmm .. Nexus 5, Android 5.0). Supposedly it's an LG (Optimus G2-style?) style phone with a 5.0" screen.

Nexus 5
Android 5
5" Screen

Markets itself.

Will this mean Android phones will last longer than 4 hours without being recharged?

I've got to start reading the entire thread before posting (no edit forgetfulness).

My Galaxy S4 gets a solid 18hours with usage including: Youtube, GPS, Games, Internet, 4GLTE, and of course .. phone calls.

4.2 is pretty optimized.

My S3 had a triple battery which lasted around 72 hours of usage (about 6-8 hours of HD movie watching).

Plus, the Samsung phones support the wireless Qi tech, so you just need to have the charge pad and add a coil kit ($20). Makes charging super easy.

I'd get semi interested if we were talking about regular updates being offered to all devices with compatible hardware, at least I though that was where Android was heading when it was first released.

/But now we're just talking about a marketing checkbox which is exploited in order to sell new devices instead.

I hate Apple, but they kick Android square in the nuts in this area.

Apple = Unified
Android = Splintered

well since I'm stuck with my Galaxy nexus for another 6-8 months, all I'll say is "Meh"

start of next year there should be some awesome next gen phones out android wise all running 5.0.

Will this mean Android phones will last longer than 4 hours without being recharged?

Already have. This is on my Razr Maxx.
601261_10152643003040246_1425412955_n.jpg

...so, aside from Gingerbread, none of the Android versions were optimized? Does that explain why there's inevitable lag in every release?

...so, aside from Gingerbread, none of the Android versions were optimized? Does that explain why there's inevitable lag in every release?

Optimization is a funny word. The OS itself is very optimized already to run of a vast array of hardware/modems. The thing that causes the stuttering, which isn't crippling the device, is the OEM software.

IE - Blur, TouchWiz, Sense.

<Looks at my HTC One X+ and thinks...not getting KLP 5 until Android 6 is out...>

lol what rom are you running/how do you use your phone?

His usage may be a little different from mine but I use my phone heavily for work, and at the end of the day I usually have 40-50% left.

I have made it two business days off one charge on my Verizon note 2.

My Note 2 lasts about 1 day 21 hours on a full charge.

Time to ditch that shitty phone you have (whatever it is) and get something that doesn't guzzle down juice like a muscle car guzzles down gas.

All the latest Android phones have great battery life and offer extended batteries for about 5-10 dollars each.

Coming to new Android devices phones in two years, and of course perfectly capable Android phones from today will not be receiving the upgrade.

Time to ditch that shitty phone you have (whatever it is) and get something that doesn't guzzle down juice like a muscle car guzzles down gas.

All the latest Android phones have great battery life and offer extended batteries for about 5-10 dollars each.

The only Android devices with decent battery life are massive ones, its a major reason why they''ve been getting bigger in the first place. Inefficient OS + the SoC needed to drive it smoothly (at least with JB, anything ICS and before is still chop city) = bigger battery required.

I'm spoiled by having a Blackberry from work that lasts like 3-4 days without being charged. Compared to that pretty much everything else is kinda bad.

Sure, except for the being-forced-to-use-a-BlackBerry part.

I admit I'm not really sure why people don't like Blackberries. Mine was super durable and worked really well. It could open and edit MS Office files and was really, really non-crashy and reliable. There weren't very many apps for it, but honestly, I'm not into loading a bunch of junk on a phone anyhow, not when I'm never more than a few feet away from an actual computer.

I wonder how many years it will take for this OS to appear on more than 15% of all previously released Android phones???

Better go and buy a new Samsung after this comes out.

The only Android devices with decent battery life are massive ones, its a major reason why they''ve been getting bigger in the first place. Inefficient OS + the SoC needed to drive it smoothly (at least with JB, anything ICS and before is still chop city) = bigger battery required.

Fail.

It's not really an anti-Android thing though. Blackberries and iPhones usually get better battery life unless the Android has like an extended cell with lots of extra power and weight. I dunno about Windows phones. Maybe they're competitive with iStuff or BB phones, but I haven't really looked. The other problem with Androids besides really heavy, unsmooth operating systems and poor battery life is all the invasive Google stuff. :( It doesn't look like Google is gonna do anything to fix the whole "install this app, but you totally have to surrender like where you are, who you are, and what you're doing...oh and we can turn on your camera too while we're at it or text you with ads" problem that makes it super invasive to own one.

I admit I'm not really sure why people don't like Blackberries. Mine was super durable and worked really well. It could open and edit MS Office files and was really, really non-crashy and reliable. There weren't very many apps for it, but honestly, I'm not into loading a bunch of junk on a phone anyhow, not when I'm never more than a few feet away from an actual computer.

"super really non-crashy super duper" --- what are you 12? blackberry worked ok in its time and battery lasted because they didnt do anything, they were texting/emailing machines with tiny screens. did you dare trying to do any web browsing on a Curve lets say? hell no. the world has moved on from mid-2000's BB days.

if you havent actually tried an S3 or a nexus 4 or HTC One or any of the flagship android phones then troll somewhere else because youre embarrassing yourself with the hurf durf battery life and crashing FUD

"super really non-crashy super duper" --- what are you 12? blackberry worked ok in its time and battery lasted because they didnt do anything, they were texting/emailing machines with tiny screens. did you dare trying to do any web browsing on a Curve lets say? hell no. the world has moved on from mid-2000's BB days.

if you havent actually tried an S3 or a nexus 4 or HTC One or any of the flagship android phones then troll somewhere else because youre embarrassing yourself with the hurf durf battery life and crashing FUD

They work great on the web. See --

2nhi0oy.jpg

The browser is really awesome and a lot easier to use than any Android browser. Mine is even older than the Curve since it's an 8820. So nyah! :p

Easier then ANY android browser?

I used to own that BB and you either like pain or are blind. Surfing on that thing is NOT easy.

Easier then ANY android browser?

I used to own that BB and you either like pain or are blind. Surfing on that thing is NOT easy.

Okay, I give it favorites. Those are organized better than the BB bookmarks because, once you have more than a few, it's kinda a pain to look through the list, but that's pretty much the only feature that's actually less dumb than on the 8820.

Stop feeding the obvious troll, folks, and put him on ignore where he belongs.

Back