ESPN To Kill 3-D Broadcasts By End Of Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
3D will be everywhere! 3D is the wave of the future! 3D sports is where it is at! It's going to be a 3-D tsunami baby! 3D just got cancelled. Thanks to TheWeazmeister for the link.

ESPN will stop broadcasting in 3-D by the end of the year, the network said Wednesday, dealing a major blow to a technology that was launched with great fanfare but has been limping along for years. The sports network said there were too few viewers to make 3-D broadcasts worth it.

That's unfortunate. I really enjoy 3D.

I guess the issue is that it is very involved: you can't be drinking mountain dew, eating doritos, check out [H], and tweet about something you hate and wear 3D glasses all at the same time.

I didn't even know they broadcast in 3d... how about that.

Give it another 10 years and the 3D fad will cycle through again along with another group of idiots who will proclaim that it's here to stay.

Give it another 10 years and the 3D fad will cycle through again along with another group of idiots who will proclaim that it's here to stay.

And "The Cloud" will recycle again in year 11. All these fads, gotta love em.

It is not about 3D, it is about Disney. They are also canceling ESPN America, that is the station which shows NFL/NHL/MLB/NBA/other minor american sports in Europe. In short, they are making ESPN much smaller, cutting out parts which "bleed money". Which ESPN America of course is (there are no ads there, only future programming info shown in ad breaks) and ESPN 3D is not big enough.

I actually liked 3D sports ... especially a soccer match I viewed once. Truly felt as I was at mid-field on the field. Big issue I had with ESPN 3D is that they rarely did anything live in 3D. A lot of what they showed was months or even over a year old. That may be fine for ESPN Classic, but 3D needs to also be LIVE. Too bad.

I am one of the people that can't perceive the depth necessary so I avoid it like the plague... i never knew what I was missing other than those stupid Magic Eye pictures... STILL haven't seen one. Some of it add's depth and it looks neat but not worth wearing the glasses/paying more for.

I'm too cool already, I don't need to wear shades for watching TV or playing PC games and looking like a nerd. 2D is plenty good.

Pretty sure this is talking about their attempt to broadcast SC in 3D, which they bought a ton of expensive equipment for. Too bad but I think they are calling it quits a bit too soon.

Too bad but I think they are calling it quits a bit too soon.

Once again, it is not ESPN, it is Disney - they are cutting 300-400 jobs (of 7000), they are cutting non-US branches (ESPN America) and ESPN 3D is just another ESPN victim of Disney.

I'm sorry to tell the poster above me, but the 'cloud' is here to stay. It will only get faster and better as Internet connections improve.

I absolutely love having my 30 Gig of Photos of my lovely daughter backed up offsite to Skydrive. It makes me feel better knowing about that offsite backup and Skydrive also allowed me to log in to my home computer the other day from work to retrieve some important files I forgot to shoot up the VPN.

Not a fan of 3D. I have always failed to comprehend why everyone thought this was going to the next "big" thing.

3D entertainment is an eventuality, and I am surprised the realization is lost on so many in this forum.
The issue is the application, and that it is still too intrusive and/or the quality is sub-par. Eventually a TV will be a window more or less.

When they have hte ability for 3d to be something more hten a gimmick (in most cases) then it will take off.

Something like The Occulus Rift but with TV, where you can move around and look at things and se ethings you wouldn't normally get on a regular tv, that would be amazing.

2D is a gimmick. I don't like the way it makes everything flat, lifeless and un-immersive. can't wait until that fad is over.

I like some movies in 3d assuming they do not go overboard. But a basketball game, broadcast tv? Worthless.

2D is a gimmick. I don't like the way it makes everything flat, lifeless and un-immersive. can't wait until that fad is over.

The thing is, while 3d can add a LOT if done right (See Avatar and Life of PI, both used 3d brilliantly and made the experience in 3d completely different then 2d) but many 3d versions of things don't do that, instead of adding depth to every frame and knowing how to frame shots, give depth and add the experience as a whole, they just resort to "throwing crap at the screen and having things jump out at you."

IE - the most recent OZ movie did this, the 3d added NOTHING to the film and was used gimmicky as hell, having vine monsters "snap" at the screen and other crap, it lacked real depth to each frame and overall you didn't miss anything seeing the 2d version.

You mean 3D, the technology that looked like a fad and was sold like a fad, turned out to be a fad?!
What is this sorcery???

:D

Back