Computer Error Of The Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Monopoly anyone? Bank error in your favor! Collect $222 million euros!

The Hessen labour court heard that the man was supposed to transfer just 62.40 euros from a bank account belonging to a retiree, but instead "fell asleep for an instant, while pushing onto the number 2 key on the keyboard" - making it a huge 222,222,222.22 euro order.

Could you move the money and yourself to a country without extradition fast enough? For €222 Million, I could leave any country.

Could you move the money and yourself to a country without extradition fast enough? For €222 Million, I could leave any country.

Doubt it. You couldn't withdrawal enough to make it worth it. Usually large withdrawals have delays because any individual branch doesn't have enough currency.

US Bank did this to me once. I got a deposit for like $30,000 USD one day, and I waited for like 1-2 days before calling up US Bank to ask them about it. Person told me they made a typo, and the deposit was removed.

So the guy that actually made the mistake wasn't fired, but his co-worker was?

He was the one responsible for verifying larges transactions from what I could gather. People always complain that managers make a lot more money for not much more work, but often times middle managers (not top corp execs) get fired for things that aren't directly your fault.

If a McDonalds manager has sales that are slipping because they are in a high crime area, it doesn't matter, he manages the store, he is fired.

The case was taken to court by the man's 48-year-old colleague who was fired for letting the mistake slip through when verifying the order.

The court ruled that the plaintiff should be reinstated in his job.
Yeah what the fuck... you let slip a 222 million Euro mistake, when your job is to verify shit so this shit doesn't happen, and the courts made the bank rehire him back? WOW, and I thought the US court system was fucked up.

Heh. I"ve done the "fall asleep and fill screen with characters" thing :)

Back