Dropping Hot Charcoal Into Liquid Oxygen

I should try that some time if I ever get access to liquid oxygen. I have a lot of charcoal at home.

Definitely cool, but I miss Mr. Wizard, not the permed scrotum in the video.

Physics vs Chemistry: damn right, physics is where it's at. Chemistry is just application.

Physics vs Chemistry: damn right, physics is where it's at. Chemistry is just application.
So physics is just a pointless circle jerk, while Chemistry is useful? Got it!

I like how he ponders that question for a second to make sure he doesn't give physics too much credit

(chemist here, if that wasn't obvious)

Do fellow physicists not look at each others fucked up hair and laugh?

When it hits the surface of the liquid oxygen it reacts producing carbon dioxide gas and solid.
This further insulates the interior of the charcoal as heat is generated as oxygen permeates its porous surface.
A flame is produced when fuel and air mix and burn.
In this case the temperature has reach a point of vaporizing the surface carbon.
The sudden heating and release of carbon expands the bubble of hot gasses around the charcoal lump.
And the resulting force buoys the low density lump into the air.

[Just an educated guess.]

There are plenty more videos on Youtube. They're all well worth watching.

So physics is just a pointless circle jerk, while Chemistry is useful? Got it!

I like how he ponders that question for a second to make sure he doesn't give physics too much credit

(chemist here, if that wasn't obvious)

Well SOMEONE has to tell you how things in your field work. :D

I've been subscribed to their various YouTube channels for a while now. A lot of good learning in there.

Shouldn't this like catch on fire, or blow up, or something?

(Yes, I'm dumb)

It's just physics. :D Chemical reactions can be reduced to the physics of atoms bouncing off each other and combining, right? ;)

It's a badge of honor since Einstein.
Actually I used to walk through the Physics wing and there were two professors both sporting the Einstein motif at the time. One was a younger well groomed Einstein and the other was more of the haggard older Einstein. I figured there'd have to be a showdown one day.

SUBSCRIBE NOW!

I've been through nearly all the videos in this channel, and I love every new one that comes out.

The Professor IS science...the ultra slow motion vids are a great way to go @ first, but theres much more to be had than just explodey explodin things.

For Science! Da Nah nuh nah nuh!

Impressive stuff. Made me wish I took chemistry more seriously back in high school :eek:

Raise your hand if you grew up watching Mr. Wizard's World... *raises hand*

Man that was some hair on that one guy. I wonder if he stuck some metal into a electrical socket to get that do. :D

This reminds me of what happens when you ignite thermite on top of ice. The ice sublimates and the steam blast vaporizes the thermite powder, which then flash ignites. Ka-BOOM! :D

That is cool (and hot) at the same time. Not only is it the bizarre hairstyle, but check that scientist's office. That is very telling as well.

Back