Lenovo Launches Its First U.S. PC Manufacturing Line

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Lenovo is now producing its line of Think Products here in the US. Lenovo has expanded its operations center in North Carolina into a 240K sq. ft. facility, adding 115 new manufacturing jobs and increasing the state’s manufacturing output by $1 Billion dollars. Lenovo is one of the few PC manufacturers that have seen an increase in sales in the past year.

The U.S. computer manufacturing line started operations in January of this year. It will produce many Think products, such as the ThinkCentre M92p Tiny desktop, ThinkPad Helix convertible ultrabook, ThinkPad Tablet 2, etc.

240k sqft and 115 jobs. I'm guessing this is heavily automated.

Whatever, it brings it stateside, so kudos to them.

We have the M92p tiny's at work, great little vesa mount systems.

Any NA manufacturing shifts are a welcome sign.

It's not as automated as you might think. Most Pc/Laptop production is done by hand. There are a lot of interlocking parts that can't be easily or quickly inserted by a machine. I don't work for Lenovo, btw. But, I've done Gateway and IBM laptop production in the past in RTP, NC.

Whitsett is sort of a podunk place, so it's going to be good for the area. It's better than picking tobacco, at least.

Mostly a warehouse and seller/repair support. Probably many of those people are doing batch customization for company orders in North America.

With that headcount they are assembling PCs which is not where the magic lies. And there's no way that $1 billion value added. Its a billion after $900+ million worth of components show up from wherever.

I totally swear by Lenovo laptops (for work and home). its great to see this happen.

Next time I need a computer I will very strongly consider a lenovo computer.

Fantastic, even if it is heavily automated as previously mentioned, you have to hire automation techs/engineers that get paid decent.

It sort of scared me after IBM wasn't making Thinkpads, but I agree with you, Lenovo computers seem like they're decent quality systems.

We only use them at the hospital where I work,

at the old college where I was, they used Dell, but were slowly transitioning to Lenovo

This is awesome news. Congratulations to the decision makers at Lenovo for keeping their heads out of their asses by doing something that helps our economy, which in turn helps their sales in the US segment.

Next time I need a computer I will very strongly consider a lenovo computer.

They are pretty much all I buy and recommend. They have some quality lines and the amount of shovelware they put on your pcs are minimal compared to others.

Wow, I like the Lenovo laptop I got but I didn't know how preferred they seem to be.

It sort of scared me after IBM wasn't making Thinkpads, but I agree with you, Lenovo computers seem like they're decent quality systems.

Lenovo was smart enough to leave them alone. In fact the executive headquarters is still in NC.

Anyhow, this move is likely to keep US government contracts for computers. A lot of agencies have recently been forced to adopt rules that prevent them from using computers or parts of computers that originated from China for security reasons (so basically any computer made today) I don't know how this is going to take care of the part requirement, but making a domestic plant for assembly takes care of a large part of the problem.

Back