SanDisk 240 GB Extreme II SSD Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
SanDisk 240 GB Extreme II SSD Review - SanDisk releases its Extreme II series SSD, which features the Marvell 9187 controller in concert with 19nm eX2 ABL MLC NAND. The competition is heating up as another manufacturer with massive foundry capabilities releases a new SSD. Will the Extreme II "blaze through your day" and "keep you ahead of deadlines?"

This is gonna be a great option in my case when the price comes down to about $59. Thanks for the article. Good read while I sneak a peek at my 1 TB Barracuda.

Meh...

Buying one of these as a replacement for my 2 year old Vertex 3. The vertex 3 still works but it has gotten pretty damn slow as of late. The fact that this drive seems to just perform so well after everything being thrown at it is what attracts me.

Based on the type of NAND being used can anything be said about long term reliability or likely failure rate relative to other ssd?

Based on the type of NAND being used can anything be said about long term reliability or likely failure rate relative to other ssd?

The 5 year warranty says a lot.

From a technology standpoint it's MLC which doesn't last as long as the more expensive SLC. Comments have been made though that since it uses a SLC 'cache' for some of the smaller writes that happen frequently this means the main MLC areas get written to a little bit less. So in theory this extends life, but again, this is why the warranty and write lifetime were extended for this particular drive.

Mine arrived last week and I've been using it quite heavily. No issues thus far and even with the drive almost entirely filled the results in benchmarks continue to stay high. It's a lovely drive that offers seemingly bullet proof reliability and performance that, while isn't the best of the best, still competes with all the top drives.

Back