First Look At Windows 8.1

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft has put out a new video highlighting some of the new features of Windows 8.1. The video is cool but doesn't show anything start menu related so, if that's what you were hoping for, you can skip this video.

I like everything about Windows 8 except "metro"...too bad that seems to be Microsoft's favorite feature.

Changing the background on metro and grouping metro apps into a personalized list, fascinating! :rolleyes:

to all the people that argued with me on Windows 8 launch on restoring the start menu and an option for boot to the desktop. I'd just like to say....

I told you so!!!!!

And now it is finally a legitimate replacement for Win 7 in the corporate world...

Still made for touch not a desktop. Great for people that want to touch and touch and have to use your fingers. Not so great for the PC gamer that sits down uses a mouse and keyboard and has many apps open at once. The more I see Windows 8 the more I want to switch to Apple.

to all the people that argued with me on Windows 8 launch on restoring the start menu and an option for boot to the desktop. I'd just like to say....

I told you so!!!!!

Start Menu is dead. The only thing that was added was the Start Button that goes directly to the Start Screen.

How bout them Apples, Mr. I Told You So

Still made for touch not a desktop. Great for people that want to touch and touch and have to use your fingers. Not so great for the PC gamer that sits down uses a mouse and keyboard and has many apps open at once. The more I see Windows 8 the more I want to switch to Apple.

Dude before you say something as stupid as that you should at least try the operating system. Metro does suck for desktop PC's but for tablets and touchscreens it's awesome, the reason Microsoft is focusing on it so much is because everyone in there mother wants tablets. Look at all the news about how PC sales are no lower and tablet sales are up.

Just because Metro sucks don't mean you have use it, start8 is $10 after you install it you never have use metro again, i haven't click on the metro start icon in about 4 months. You absolutely don't need to use it.

The operating is better then windows 7 and works amazing in games and apps built directly for windows and not metro.

Yea, I saw the startmenu in this video, maybe they did this just to tease folks who want it back?

Not so great for the PC gamer that sits down uses a mouse and keyboard and has many apps open at once.

really? lol, ok... :rolleyes:

27 years later, you still can't do something you could do on an AtariST.... write notes and such on the desktop, like you can with an actual desktop in real life, a blotter, doodles, etc. :eek::cool:

Maybe in the 22nd century. :rolleyes::p

Yea, I saw the startmenu in this video, maybe they did this just to tease folks who want it back?

really? lol, ok... :rolleyes:

Yeah when i read that i just wanted to jump through screen and slap him. I hate people who talk about something they've never tried.

I wonder how long it's going to take them to realize that Windows needs windows.

Yay, the same ole' touch screen interface with a few minor tweaks. Awesome, let's slap a .1 sticker on it and see if everyone goes for it now...

Am I the only one who doesn't understand this undying love for the Start menu?

The start button was designed to be intuitive and easy for your grandma, not fast or efficient. Learn to use fast Windows Key searches to launch your less used apps, and keep your most used ones pinned on the taskbar. You won't miss the Start Menu after a few days.
Grandma has reason to be upset about Start Menu being gone. We don't.

still seems pretty sad that you need to get a 3rd party app to get a feature that so many people obviously want in the OS. The Metro UI is pretty sweet on a phone or tablet, but it is just aggravating on a desktop.

still seems pretty sad that you need to get a 3rd party app to get a feature that so many people obviously want in the OS. The Metro UI is pretty sweet on a phone or tablet, but it is just aggravating on a desktop.

Yeah that was a silly move on their part, typical Microsoft trying to force something down your throat. 8.1 will have the start menu back though so no worries.

So what does that tell you about the desktop then?

Move on bro or install Linux.

Actually, don't install Linux.

Yeah that was a silly move on their part, typical Microsoft trying to force something down your throat. 8.1 will have the start menu back though so no worries.

Supposedly the start menu is not actually coming back, only the start button is, and it takes you directly to the metro interface.

The start button was designed to be intuitive and easy for your grandma, not fast or efficient. Learn to use fast Windows Key searches to launch your less used apps, and keep your most used ones pinned on the taskbar. You won't miss the Start Menu after a few days.

No, you're not the only one. I don't get it either. Never mind the fact that the screen screen is essentially the start menu, only with a lot more bells and whistles.

Bottom line, most people crying about Windows 8 are ignorant.

I try not to say this to people because it's rude, but this is indeed how I feel.

I have no love for "no change" crowd.

Changing the background on metro and grouping metro apps into a personalized list, fascinating! :rolleyes:

It actually is a common complaint. Unless you use something like Decor8 or edit the registry you were stuck with the backgrounds that came with windows and grouping apps into lists was sometimes tedious. Half the additions were things that people pointed out was wrong in the beta but was largely ignored.

The option to choose between what feels most comfortable would have been nice. It's irrelevant that you don't understand why others like it.

Grr, it's not like you're charging for 8.1 Microsoft. Why the big secret, just to try to "apple" yourself with rumors ?

Still working fine with Win 7 and no need to upgrade to 8 if I'm going to need to do third-party add-ins like Start 8 that could end up being "inactivated" by some Microsoft update a year from now.

I try not to say this to people because it's rude, but this is indeed how I feel.

I have no love for "no change" crowd.

Because all changes are beneficial, and those who don't like them are clearly morons who just need to "learn."

I hate that argument.

The operating is better then windows 7 and works amazing in games and apps built directly for windows and not metro.

Yep. Win8 also installs of the needed drivers for you motherboard like Ethernet and Sound drivers.
When I try to update the drivers from the ASUS site, Win8 says their outdated. Everything has to be manually downloaded on Win7.

Win8 with auto drivers makes ODD obsolete. Once Win8 installs the Ethernet driver, everything else can be downloaded.

Because all changes are beneficial, and those who don't like them are clearly morons who just need to "learn."

I hate that argument.

I am a developer and Apple has made me a lot of money with these "non-beneficial" changes and so as a developer I demand the same from Microsoft.

Money talks in this world, buddy, whether you like the "argument" or not.

The option to choose between what feels most comfortable would have been nice. It's irrelevant that you don't understand why others like it.

Sure, the option would be nice, but I hardly expect Microsoft to fall into the trap of supporting legacy UI design for eternity just because some people have gotten used to it. Eventually the list of "options to choose" would be enormous.

But I wouldn't call pointing out the inefficiency of the start menu concept "irrelevant." I'm bringing up a point for discussion. That is people clinging to a UI design that is objectively and demonstrably slow.

As I said, completely understandable for grandma, not so understandable for power users who are obsessed with speed and performance.

It isn't about the start menu. It is the fact that the start screen is utterly horrible. I don't need giant pastel colored icons that look like something designed around an 80's prom taking up my entire screen. While my vision is rather poor, I don't exactly have trouble seeing icons pinned to my task bar either.

Hopefully it just loads the link and not the image..This forum really needs spoiler tags so pictures don't auto load unless people specifically click on it.

This is a good desktop on a non touch device. I don't even care if the start button is there or not as 95% of what I need is pinned on this machine and I have a different set pinned on another. The rest can easily be gotten too by hitting the windows key and about 3 keystrokes most of the time. Metro is a godawful mess and the stupid charms bar and hot corners aren't any better.

Ignorant? Hardly. Many of us have specific complaints that are FIXED in Windows 8.1.
At the top of the list:
1. Apps no longer shit themselves during installation on the start screen.
2. Win key + F no longer switches to full screen search.

I am a developer and Apple has made me a lot of money with these "non-beneficial" changes and so as a developer I demand the same from Microsoft.

Money talks in this world, buddy, whether you like the "argument" or not.

You're damn right money talks, it's talking and walking the other way for MS, as evidenced by their sales and Windows 8's market share. LOL. And your 'demands' are irrelevant.

Hopefully it just loads the link and not the image..This forum really needs spoiler tags so pictures don't auto load unless people specifically click on it.

Your image just got autotagged and now everyone gets to view it in its 1.55 mb glory.

Well, it loaded the image anyhow..sorry about that. Stupid auto image formatting code. Seriously, an option to turn that garbage off would be nice.

Sure, the option would be nice, but I hardly expect Microsoft to fall into the trap of supporting legacy UI design for eternity just because some people have gotten used to it. Eventually the list of "options to choose" would be enormous.

But I wouldn't call pointing out the inefficiency of the start menu concept "irrelevant." I'm bringing up a point for discussion. That is people clinging to a UI design that is objectively and demonstrably slow.

As I said, completely understandable for grandma, not so understandable for power users who are obsessed with speed and performance.

How is a screen with gigantic icons taking up completely unnecessary space and requiring more clicks to perform common tasks designed for power users? You seem to be confused, the Metro ui is designed for Grandmas, not the other way around. That is why the power users are protesting it. It is basically a UI designed for the blind and forced on everyone who isn't.

Dude before you say something as stupid as that you should at least try the operating system. Metro does suck for desktop PC's but for tablets and touchscreens it's awesome, the reason Microsoft is focusing on it so much is because everyone in there mother wants tablets. Look at all the news about how PC sales are no lower and tablet sales are up.

Just because Metro sucks don't mean you have use it, start8 is $10 after you install it you never have use metro again, i haven't click on the metro start icon in about 4 months. You absolutely don't need to use it. The operating is better then windows 7 and works amazing in games and apps built directly for windows and not metro.
I didn't know it was so popular with fetuses. :D But I do tend to agree with everything else you said.

I wonder how long it's going to take them to realize that Windows needs windows.
I wonder how long it's going to take you to realize you just need to click the desktop tile to see them. Once you figure that out, everything will feel familiar again. I promise you. :)

Well, I don't think MS believes in holding your penis for you so you can take a piss. They expect people to modify and tweak the OS to their liking. This is nothing new. It's embarrassing to be [H] and have people complaining about something that isn't spoon fed to them.

No, you're not the only one. I don't get it either. Never mind the fact that the screen screen is essentially the start menu, only with a lot more bells and whistles. Bottom line, most people crying about Windows 8 are ignorant.
I think it's more that somehow down the line that being a longtime user, they feel that their personal tastes reigns supreme and they suddenly evolve into UI design experts, professional OS developers, and business consultants with 100% access to MS's customer data.

The "Windows 8 sucks!" cries are just as overblown as those of "Windows Vista sucks!".

what's with this lad, all i looked at was his hands talking, white guys trying to be black lol

Back