AMD Completes 2013 Lineup With “Richland” Desktop APUs

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced its 2013 Elite A-Series Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) for desktops, codenamed “Richland”, which delivers a superior PC solution with increased computational performance, discrete-level graphics and an easy upgrade infrastructure. At COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2013, AMD showcased the complete breadth of its 2013 APU portfolio with the launch of the new Elite A-Series APU for desktops which power a diverse range of OEM systems and feature new generations of software and applications that harness the unrivaled compute power of the 2013 AMD APU product lineup: the fastest AMD APUs ever.

Looking forward to a 6800k review where the APU is paired with DDR3 1866-2400.

Still seems to be just one (12-1300 dollar highend) purchasable Richland-based laptop. Supposedly the laptop variety was going to be released at least one solid month before the June desktop launch. Wonder what's going on there?

I'd love to see you all do a review of these. I wish you all did more reviews of the midrange stuff. I'm at that point where I don't have the ability to scrape 1200 to build a gaming rig. These APUs seem to offer hella good performance for the value.

yeah in the pcper review josh got his cpu up to 4.8 ghz and the gpu to GPU to 950 mhz with total system draw @ 139 watts. ik amd is behind the all mighty intel in ipc and ahead in gfx this makes richland very impressive part for people like us.

Guys it is Trinity with some things fixed/improved. If you have to spend your money on the FM2 mainboard wait for FM2+.

It does well in idle using not that much power as before (even less then Intel). But if you want a tad more performance hang on for Kaveri with Steamroller cores (does require FM2+).

This is exciting.

Along with Haswell, this means Big Graphics are finally going mobile.

The Dream is near.

Guys it is Trinity with some things fixed/improved. If you have to spend your money on the FM2 mainboard wait for FM2+.

It does well in idle using not that much power as before (even less then Intel). But if you want a tad more performance hang on for Kaveri with Steamroller cores (does require FM2+).

I'm still on a Llano-based rig, so I'm gonna make the jump to Richland. Kaveri will still work with FM2 boards, check the Newegg TV Richland video.

Coupling Richland with some high frequency DDR to shore up some memory bandwidth to let the GPU breathe already makes for some VERY significant gains. And from the reviews that are out now, it seems like hitting 4.8-5GHz could be common. Add an overclocked GPU to top it all off and you might just have something to get excited about.

[edit]
Oh yeah, and Kaveri supposedly no longer having a GDDR5 controller does remove a lot of wind from the sails.

Last edited:
Kaveri will still have some good features which make certain things like having one single memory pool for GPU and CPU rather good.

Better IPC and 28nm process which should have still some benefits.

Back