GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H 'Haswell' Motherboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are jumping on the Haswell upgrade train, you might want to give this review of the GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H motherboard a read.

The GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H Intel Z87 motherboard is the first motherboard with the Intel LGA1150 socket to come across my bench and after seeing the numbers today, I think the Haswell platform is going to be a great platform for those looking for a complete upgrade from an older system. Not totally sure if it would be a worth while upgrade from an 'Ivy Bridge' system, but probably worth it from a Sandy Bridge system or older.

I hope that a BIOS update will bring some of those date rates for sata up. Past that, looks good and makes me feel a little bit better about grabbing one of these instead of a higher priced board.

I hope that a BIOS update will bring some of those date rates for sata up. Past that, looks good and makes me feel a little bit better about grabbing one of these instead of a higher priced board.

I'm looking at the UD4H version of this same board (MicroCenter Fairfax) paired with the i5-4670K - if I can get to just 4 GHz (same clocking I had planned for Ivy Bridge), I can safely call it a day. Until/unless I get an SSD, I won't exactly need tall transfer rates (my current boot drive is a WD Caviar Green - while it's SATA, it's only 3.0-g, so a speedster it isn't).

Wait, do you mean 4GHz on stock cooling? If not using stock cooling, why suck a low target? Even with 4.2-4.3GHz, I'd already call it a dog. Now 4.4 - 4.5GHz is more like it :)

I did the same. I grabbed it and a 4770k. I think it'll be fine and even with the deficit in #'s for Sata, will you really notice real world? I know that's besides the point, but hopefully a bios update will address it as you said.

I've been an Asus guy forever. I ALWAYS go Asus. But I'm not into the "red" color of the RoG boards and as much as I like wearing gold, it looks garish on a motherboard. I'm going to miss my blue Asus deluxe boards. I love blue and I'm shallow, so the Z87x-ud3h it was. I have a overkill Koolance setup with a 4x120, 3x120, 2x120 and 1x140 rad with two PMP-450's in series to keep this sucker cool using a Koolance CPU-370 in the Corsair 900D. Hopefully, I can hit the "silicon lottery" and get a good one!

I did the same. I grabbed it and a 4770k. I think it'll be fine and even with the deficit in #'s for Sata, will you really notice real world? I know that's besides the point, but hopefully a bios update will address it as you said.

I've been an Asus guy forever. I ALWAYS go Asus. But I'm not into the "red" color of the RoG boards and as much as I like wearing gold, it looks garish on a motherboard. I'm going to miss my blue Asus deluxe boards. I love blue and I'm shallow, so the Z87x-ud3h it was. I have a overkill Koolance setup with a 4x120, 3x120, 2x120 and 1x140 rad with two PMP-450's in series to keep this sucker cool using a Koolance CPU-370 in the Corsair 900D. Hopefully, I can hit the "silicon lottery" and get a good one!

As you can see in my sig, it's been a while since I replaced my motherboard. Currently running I have the Abit, a Gigabyte p45 board and an ASUS ROG x48 board. So far, the gigabyte has been the most stable, so I figure give it a shot. And yeah, the blue color scheme definitely played a role - black, blue & silver throughout my entire system. I just can't see myself with gold anything. :D

I won't have nearly the the cooling capacity you have, but hopefully the Kraken x60 inside a CM-690-II is up to the task.

Last edited:
Wait, do you mean 4GHz on stock cooling? If not using stock cooling, why suck a low target? Even with 4.2-4.3GHz, I'd already call it a dog. Now 4.4 - 4.5GHz is more like it :)

I don't need tall clocks (not with Ivy Bridge, and certainly not with Haswell) for any software that I run. My most demanding software are medium-tier games (my most demanding games that I have installed are Crysis 3, SC2 HotS, SimCity, and the NFS Most Wanted reboot) - none of those are all THAT demanding on the CPU. Productivity software? Please - my most used software THERE is Microsoft Office 2013 (and even there, it's Word and Outlook - not Excel or Access), with Outlook (not Word) being the most demanding, and with Outlook, I/O is the issue. Therefore, no need OR interest in tall overclocking.

Are there any numbers on the write speed on a RAID 5 array? I know the Z77 had some major issues with that.

Are there any numbers on the write speed on a RAID 5 array? I know the Z77 had some major issues with that.

The trouble with software RAID 5 is not write speed per se. It is extremely long latency. All software-controlled RAID 5 arrays suffer from this exact same problem. The only way to attain good performance with a RAID 5 array would be to get yourself a hardware PCI-e RAID card with its own intelligent processor and its own dedicated RAM (must cost $500 or more for the card itself - do not get a card that costs less than $200 as they are all software RAIDs, just like the onboard).

E4, I agree, and I understand RAID 5, in general, is not optimal for writes either. But on the Z77's they were getting writes at 20 MBps. Which is just not acceptable.

Back