Shockingly, You Still Hate Your Cable Company

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the latest report from the American Consumer Satisfaction Index, most people still hate their ISP / cable company.

The latest report (pdf) from the American Consumer Satisfaction Index highlights that consumer satisfaction with cable TV services remains among the worst in any industry -- and broadband ISP service satisfaction is even worse.

To be honest, I can't say enough nice things about my cable co / ISP. :eek:

In January, I was paying $67 a month for 25Mbps - 5Mbps service. In February, Cox doubled that to 50Mbps - 5Mbps for FREE.

Then I found out my ISP offers 150Mbps speeds for $79.99 (for six months) to new customers. For existing customers, it is $110 per month. So I call the company and tell the customer service rep that doesn't seem right...what about loyal customers?

She says "you're right, hang on" puts me on hold. Two minutes later she comes back and says how about $5 more a month ($72 total) and she'll give me the same 150Mbps speed that is regularly $110. I said "Great! What do I do?" She says "Nothing, it's already done."

This is where I am at now for $5 more than I was paying in January:

228422_10152791232095214_1050200385_n.jpg

This statistic would change if more people in the USA and Canada had a wider selection of ISP's and cable companies to choose from.

Time Warner sucks donkey balls, but that's the only thing available in my city except DSL, dial-up and satellite -_-

I'm happy with Comcast Business internet & phone.

I didn't like Xfinity - data caps, and the bundle options cost too much. Getting just internet or phone unbundled was almost as expensive as the bundles.

In January, I was paying $67 a month for 25Mbps - 5Mbps service. In February, Cox doubled that to 50Mbps - 5Mbps for FREE.

Then I found out my ISP offers 150Mbps speeds for $79.99 (for six months) to new customers. For existing customers, it is $110 per month. So I call the company and tell the customer service rep that doesn't seem right...what about loyal customers?

She says "you're right, hang on" puts me on hold. Two minutes later she comes back and says how about $5 more a month ($72 total) and she'll give me the same 150Mbps speed that is regularly $110. I said "Great! What do I do?" She says "Nothing, it's already done."

I don't get it. You're connecting to Boise at 150 mb/s and yet in Boise itself, you really only have the choice of cableone with crappy 50 mb/s and data caps. WTF?

Really? I hate both of the two possible, absolute rip-off's of ISP's that are available in my area? Man, who knew? :/

AT*T Uverse has been great in terms of letting me go way over my data caps, and it has never gone out on me in 3 years. But I'm still at 24mbps/5mbps connection, while Comcast has been increasing their speeds quite a bit recently. No new options from AT*T and no increase in my existing speeds :( I really don't want to go to Comcast, but if they don't increase bandwidth soon..

AT*T Uverse has been great in terms of letting me go way over my data caps, and it has never gone out on me in 3 years. But I'm still at 24mbps/5mbps connection, while Comcast has been increasing their speeds quite a bit recently. No new options from AT*T and no increase in my existing speeds :( I really don't want to go to Comcast, but if they don't increase bandwidth soon..

Don't, we pay for 24/5 (and I think we were upgraded to the 50/10 lately but I'm not sure).

2740304915.png

My choices.
Centurylink: Horrible speed, keep bringing it up, passes speed tests, but takes forever.
Comcast: cuts out every evening when everyone uses it here.

*sigh* Hate living in a semi-rural area that no ISPs care about.

I pay your price /\ for your speed \/ on comcast. Only ISP in the area, a half mile from a class B school and university.

Don't, we pay for 24/5 (and I think we were upgraded to the 50/10 lately but I'm not sure).

2740304915.png

Got to love Charter Cable :mad:, got a free speed increase, than two months
later get a price increase. On top of that I keep getting advertising for cheap
service, but can't get it because I'm not a new customer, even though
I've been with them for 30 years. Just got to love them fucking monopolies!!

I don't have a cable company, hence there's nothing to hate. I don't particularly like DirecTV, but they don't do internet and I wouldn't do it through them even if they did.

Looking at the only cable that's available to me, there's Xfinity brand for $30/month for a 25Mbps line for the first 6 months (really only 6 months??) then it goes up to $45 a month which I guess isn't horrible... but then again it's hardly great, and that's only for months 7 through 12, then after 12 it goes up to the 'standard rate' which even according to their website ranges from $43 to $65 plus any local fees, so knowing me in San Francisco I'll be paying the $65+local fee price, and to be honest fuck that shit it's not worth it. Plus Xfinity isn't exactly known for having your back when it comes to warrantless searches or accusations, even though I don't have anything to hide I like the fact that I don't have to worry about hiding anything either just from a Constitution stand point, as a result I'll stick with my 7Mbps adsl line from Sonic for $40/month with phone + free LD and all those other features that probably cost $4 each per month.

Other than the tech support and billing dept which suck with every telco/ISP on earth... Frontier FIOS has been good since the switch:
2740603154.png

Steve, that connection is as good as a time machine for competitive 3d games.

I don't have cable for television,Comcast was such a nightmare I switched to DirecTV. Right now I'm using Clear for internet,the speeds suck but it's actually faster and more reliable than Verizon DSL,no FIOS in my area. No doubt Comcast would be faster,but after the mess they made with their TV service I'm reluctant to trust their internet.

Most people I know hate their cable companies mostly because of the cost and the seemingly constant rate increases.

Comcast can blow me. We were pretty much forced to get a cable internet phone bundle because the cost to get 1 or 2 but not the others was more. Now we have a house phone that despite having a new unlisted number, rings all the time with telemarketers and what not on the other end. Well we did, I unhooked it so I guess now I'm paying for a service I don't even use.

This is kinda why I DON'T like my ISP. Like, can't we just get what we pay for and actually get a decent deal?

Or should I consider flirting with customer service for an hour to get their fastest service for 20$ a month?

Ok maybe I lied a little, I hate my ISP because its pulling less than 1mb/s
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2740716588.png

Comcast can blow me. We were pretty much forced to get a cable internet phone bundle because the cost to get 1 or 2 but not the others was more. Now we have a house phone that despite having a new unlisted number, rings all the time with telemarketers and what not on the other end. Well we did, I unhooked it so I guess now I'm paying for a service I don't even use.

Yep, I was forced to get a TV + Internet bundle and I never even use the TV part. Fuck Comcast, they won't do shit anymore to try and help you lower your price, it's either get raped or fuck off.

I just want a bill that doesn't change month to month. Is that too much to ask? All of these random little "fees" piss me off. It seems i've won the last few rounds though as my bill hasn't changed for the last few months, but I swear before that it varied a few cents here or there gradually increasing. Cable companies know their phone and TV service is obsolete, that's why they want you to bundle, so if you ever do happen to turn on the tv they can serve ads and get more revenue. Pretty soon instead of paying 50/50/50 for all 3 services it's going to be 0/0/150. Hopefully Google sets a new precedent.

The cable companies are QUITE allied as well. I talked to a rep who worked for Cable Company A, but unfortunately he was out of range to actually get his company's service where he lived, so Cable Company B gave him a discount for working in the field.

I am happy with FIOS ... we had some growing pains when I first started but since then things have been great :)

Please the Cell Companies are way worse now then any internet/cable company with there prices and plans you cannot change without some type of penalty.

Comcast went up by $25 over two years while dropping two channels I liked, moving them up to the next 'tier'. Along with screwing up 'On Demand' by moving it's good features to the 'XFinity+ package, so to get the same service I would have to pay even more.

Yesterday I installed ATT U-Verse internet/phone/TV service and you know what...it is much better than Comcast and saves me $60/mo.

Screw cable...they can have their 100MB service that doesn't even work faster than dial up in the evenings.

Can't hate something I don't have...Cable wise anyway, stuck with AT&T until late this year apparently (land owners folded and decided to let Comcast in) that's what we had heard at the last residence meeting anyway, stuck on 3Mbps until then.

I'm in the boat that not only do I not hate my cable company, but I'm actually pretty happy with them recently.

I pay about $72 a month for their 50 down, 15 up service. I originally was getting the blast tier, but when they pushed Docsis 3.0 in my area last year, everyone got their tier's doubled for free. So no complaints. Still have to buffer Game of Thrones on Sunday night :(

That's what I really want, streaming high demand HD movies without needing to buffer.

I don't hate FIOS...although the sheen has worn as I watched my bill climb from $120 to $140 a month in the last two years. At least if I'm gonna get raped, the service has been worth it! Incredible speed (consistently 50% higher than advertised) AND uptimes compared to Comcast, and the support is MILES better.

I have only needed to get a tech on-site ONCE in four years, and he fixed the problem the first time (unlike Comcast, who has separate diagnostic techs and contractors to fix things, neither of which talk to each other)

I loved Fios when I first got it, but since Frontier took over, lots of billing problems, etc... It's also annoying watching my friend on Verizon Fios keep getting upgraded for free, and we're still on 35/35. But then it's still better than most people's internet, so...

Back