GeForce GTX 680 Can Be Flashed to GTX 770?

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is a perfect example of why you don't believe everything you read on the internet. The crew at techPowerUP! explain the secret behind those mysterious screenshots floating around the internet showing a GTX 680 flashed to a GTX 770.

In conclusion, this "GTX 770" mod is nothing more than a combination of a custom GTX 680 BIOS that adds higher clock speeds, and a custom INF file that changes the card's name string.

The good news is that real GTX 770s aren't far off and we are hearing that they are rumored to have 7GHz memory.

A flash within the same series, possible and has been done before.

A flash to another series? Laughable.

yes every rummor i read about the GTX 770 show as a rebranded 680 but with higher Clock speed and memory to 7GHZ.

I'm sure you can flash the 680 to the same speed as the 770, just gotta make sure the idle speed is clocked down enough so it didn't fry while just looking at the internet.

Well the Nvidia GT 510 was renamed into the GT 620. So it's possibly the 770 is just the 680 with higher clocks. You might not be able to achieve those clocks with the 680, but having it called the 770 might gain some benefits in the drivers. Some driver tweaks may only work with the 770.

A flash within the same series, possible and has been done before.

I think it's very plausible. The GK104-425, according to leaks, is the exact same chip as the GK104 despite the suffix, there are no differences. With that being the case, it is possible that cards can be flashed although some cards won't be able to handle the higher VRAM and GPU clockspeeds. So it's probably not wise for folks to flash, but I think it's possible - assuming your 680 can handle the higher VRAM speed.

I dont think there are many 680s that can handle 7ghz memory speed. Only best samples, DC2 GPUs usually shines in that area, will be able to hit 7ghz. If 7ghz will be stock, what i doubt, bios flash wont be good move.
I dont care if they are rebranded. Only thing I care is price. Many sites where reporting up to 50$ lower prices than gtx 680/670. If that is true than gtx 770 will be great value, 760ti even better. But I doubt that Nvidia will do that.

I dont think there are many 680s that can handle 7ghz memory speed. Only best samples, DC2 GPUs usually shines in that area, will be able to hit 7ghz. If 7ghz will be stock, what i doubt, bios flash wont be good move.
I dont care if they are rebranded. Only thing I care is price. Many sites where reporting up to 50$ lower prices than gtx 680/670. If that is true than gtx 770 will be great value, 760ti even better. But I doubt that Nvidia will do that.

As a counter-point, my lightning 680s (now sold) hit 7GHz VRAM quite easily - aftermarket 680s can hit it, reference not so much. In fact, I ram my lightnings ran higher than 7ghz on VRAM and around 1300 on the core 24/7 without any over-voltage. Obviously with higher voltage I could push it more, although the temps went up as well. So for some cards, 7ghz VRAM was easy - but like you said, it's not very likely that reference cards will be able to do that. Asus DC2s and Lightning 680s are another story, however.

But on your main point, I completely agree. 7GHz VRAM will likely be too much for reference, I haven't seen many reference 680s with a ton of overclocking headroom. At least, not to the level of a DC2 or Lightning.

List performance numbers after said flash.

What about performance numbers? Those rebrands are all simply clock bumps. The only thing a BIOS flash does that a simple 5 seconds in Afterburner or Precision does is change the name of the card (which is as simple as a hex value in a file or something along those lines, I haven't peeked around in a BIOS file myself). If you would like to argue that 2 identical chips with absolutely identical clocks perform differently, then I don't feel inclined to stoop to your level :p

Again, BIOS flashing a card isn't anything miraculous and it simply changes the card ID value read by the PC and the "stock" clocks. It's nothing special really, so everyone getting "upset" that the 770 is a rebranded 680 is really going to have to grasp at straws to prove any kind of point.

Yes, there is a difference in the fact that the 770 will use higher spec'd memory chips, but that doesn't change the fact it performs the same as a 680 that is capable of those same clock speeds. I'd be more excited about the possible $50 price drop... if Nvidia feels so inclined. They seem to be very content with selling a worse chip for the same price as a better card with a game bundle. They realize that they have loyal buyers who will buy their cards regardless.

Why, nVidia are masters of just changing the stickers on their cards. I would love to see just how old some of these GPUs actually are. I think it's time AMD & nVidia were brought to the courts for collusion.

wait so what exactly is flashing a new bios on a gpu?
Serious? People been doing this for years. All hardware has firmware. Flashing the firmware on the GPU is usually how people overclock or softmod their graphic cards. In some situations, even to fix bugs.

A dying art though, but once in a while this sorta of thing happens.

I ve done some perf. tests with 7ghz vram speed on my gtx 670 and gains are 3-5% at best. Let say 5% more from clock speed and 10% more perf. is what i expect from 770 and 760ti.

I ve done some perf. tests with 7ghz vram speed on my gtx 670 and gains are 3-5% at best. Let say 5% more from clock speed and 10% more perf. is what i expect from 770 and 760ti.
I did testing on my 670 and the average was more than that at just 6600 in the games I tested.

What about performance numbers? Those rebrands are all simply clock bumps. The only thing a BIOS flash does that a simple 5 seconds in Afterburner or Precision does is change the name of the card (which is as simple as a hex value in a file or something along those lines, I haven't peeked around in a BIOS file myself). If you would like to argue that 2 identical chips with absolutely identical clocks perform differently, then I don't feel inclined to stoop to your level :p

Again, BIOS flashing a card isn't anything miraculous and it simply changes the card ID value read by the PC and the "stock" clocks. It's nothing special really, so everyone getting "upset" that the 770 is a rebranded 680 is really going to have to grasp at straws to prove any kind of point.

Yes, there is a difference in the fact that the 770 will use higher spec'd memory chips, but that doesn't change the fact it performs the same as a 680 that is capable of those same clock speeds. I'd be more excited about the possible $50 price drop... if Nvidia feels so inclined. They seem to be very content with selling a worse chip for the same price as a better card with a game bundle. They realize that they have loyal buyers who will buy their cards regardless.

Thanks for detailing my point. Flashing to another series does nothing. That's why I laugh.

From what I read, the 770 had a lower core clock than the 680, but the same memory clock. I don't see a point to flashing a 680 into a 770.

From what I read, the 770 had a lower core clock than the 680, but the same memory clock. I don't see a point to flashing a 680 into a 770.
and where did you read that? EVERY rumor out there shows the memory at 7000 and the core clocks being higher than the 680.

Thanks for detailing my point. Flashing to another series does nothing. That's why I laugh.

Maybe for you but i didnt open afterburner since i refleshed my DC2 to TOP. Checked temps and that is it. It is working like that for more than 1 year, gtx 680 perf. for free. This is the same thing plus possible GPU boost 2.0 (another potential problem for stock cooled gtx 680s) and possible better driver support in near future and gtx 770 "for free". It is not a big deal but for some it will be worth,

Maybe for you but i didnt open afterburner since i refleshed my DC2 to TOP. Checked temps and that is it. It is working like that for more than 1 year, gtx 680 perf. for free. This is the same thing plus possible GPU boost 2.0 (another potential problem for stock cooled gtx 680s) and possible better driver support in near future and gtx 770 "for free". It is not a big deal but for some it will be worth,
There will be no difference in driver support, they are using literally the same GPU. And flashing between models is not the same thing as flashing between different GPUs. While I can't say for certain, I believe some of the GPU Boost functionality is baked into the actual board design, so I don't think we will be getting GPU Boost flashes on existing 680s.

The 770 will be slightly faster than the 680 while being cheaper.

Now, if we could flash a 680 to a 780... :p

I did testing on my 670 and the average was more than that at just 6600 in the games I tested.

I ve done tests again, 7100mhz in Metro Last Light. In the best case difference is round 6.5%. Round 16% faster than ref. gtx 670. This is where gtx 760ti could be if boosting at 1200mhz.

43.51 vs 46.40

Maybe in some games the difference will be higher but in other it will be smaller, like in Bioshock.

I think that 770 will boost round 1200mhz and with 7ghz vram it could be round 15% faster than gtx 680. Probably runing at higher voltage and i wonder if all GPUs will handle that clocks and how much OC potential will they have. With voltage options maybe some.

Last edited:
I've had a 770+ for the last year and half using EVGA precision. Big deal...

I assume a 770 FW will bring with it GPU Boost 2?

Could be interesting to compare performance given the two clocking methods.

Is 7GHz memory clock required for successful 770 FW operation?

I assume a 770 FW will bring with it GPU Boost 2?

Could be interesting to compare performance given the two clocking methods.

Is 7GHz memory clock required for successful 770 FW operation?
you dont have to assume as google is right in front of you since you haven't even looked at any reviews. and dont be silly by trying to flash your 680.

While I can't say for certain, I believe some of the GPU Boost functionality is baked into the actual board design, so I don't think we will be getting GPU Boost flashes on existing 680s.

Isnt GPU Boost just automatically bumping up the clock 50mhz based on GPU peformance? Its done through drivers last i checked and I dont see how that feature would be baked onto the board. All it is to me is marketing

Back