Try Defiance Free, Buy It Cheap This Weekend

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We’ve all seen the TV show on the SyFy Channel, so you have a pretty good idea what the game is all about and this weekend, you can find out even more. Today and Sunday you can try the game out free of charge and if you like it, you can pick up the game at a substantial reduction from Steam.

Defiance is an interesting experiment in content crossing over between a persistent online game and the scripted world of a television show. This could be the wave of the future. Microsoft announced similar crossover projects in their Xbox One reveal.

Pass

Full price for a game with a pay shop that's full of stuff ESSENTIAL to playing the game, like more inventory/storage space

Yes, you have to pay real money for a full price game to extend your inventory and storage space

Pass

Full price for a game with a pay shop that's full of stuff ESSENTIAL to playing the game, like more inventory/storage space

Yes, you have to pay real money for a full price game to extend your inventory and storage space

+1

Would be one thing if the game itself were free, or only $5-10, but a full price game with this kind of micro-purchase system is ludicrous.
These companies are beyond greedy at this point.

Pass

Nephew plays fine with the storage space allocated to him. There are 130 or so codes that are hidden in the game world, TV, and other events that give you more storage and other things. Everything else in the cash shop is nonessential.

You can buy chests to get gear or you can play the game and get the same exact chests.
You can buy boosts to increase drop rate or you can play the game and place points into your skill tree.
You can buy cars or you can play the game and save money that drops off every mob that dies and purchase then.
You can buy costumes or you can play the game and complete objectives and get costumes.

So it's all in how you want to spend your time. Do you want to play the game and get things or do you want to buy it from the cash shop to skip having to do it in game?

Nephew plays fine with the storage space allocated to him. There are 130 or so codes that are hidden in the game world, TV, and other events that give you more storage and other things. Everything else in the cash shop is nonessential.

You can buy chests to get gear or you can play the game and get the same exact chests.
You can buy boosts to increase drop rate or you can play the game and place points into your skill tree.
You can buy cars or you can play the game and save money that drops off every mob that dies and purchase then.
You can buy costumes or you can play the game and complete objectives and get costumes.

So it's all in how you want to spend your time. Do you want to play the game and get things or do you want to buy it from the cash shop to skip having to do it in game?

>Game makes you pay for basic functions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fisXRmdTR54

One more

>Defending blatant extreme nickle and diming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

I think I said that you can actually play the game to unlock more space and enter free codes that you can freely Google for. You said twice "No God! Please No!" to playing the game to unlock perks. So you want everything unlocked at the beginning of the game so you aren't forced to spend time playing? Then you're a perfect candidate for the cash shop that allows you to unlock storage space without having to play the game.

:)

I would recommend that you do not listen to what the illusive "everyone" has to say about it. Free weekend. If the concept interested you then give it a try. If the idea of a sci-fi mmo is not appealing, skip it. If the idea of a sci-fi game with a tv show tie-in seems like a neat concept, at least give it a go.

I would recommend that you do not listen to what the illusive "everyone" has to say about it. Free weekend. If the concept interested you then give it a try. If the idea of a sci-fi mmo is not appealing, skip it. If the idea of a sci-fi game with a tv show tie-in seems like a neat concept, at least give it a go.

Yeah its a neat idea but I cant see it working. If the TV show fails (its not been very good so far) I bet support for the MMO will stop.

Yeah its a neat idea but I cant see it working. If the TV show fails (its not been very good so far) I bet support for the MMO will stop.

Well it got renewed for next season which is a plus. Here is a random article about it with an official quoted statement. And they had more than a million registered accounts before this free weekend. Which isn't bad for a new game. But I fully understand your concerns and I can tell you that I got my $50 worth of entertainment out of it long ago.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/syfys-defiance-renewed-for-second-season/

I want to add a suggestion for anyone new that is trying the game out for the first time. If you find a gun that you really like at low levels keep it as guns really don't change much until you can get them with synergy mods attached. Synergy mods really start show up after you get to level 1,000 or so. There are 5,000 EGO level in the game btw. So don't make the mistake like I did of deleting fun guns too early.

And don't be a packrat. One of the guys here has 120 slots or so and has full inventory. No way in hell he can use 120 guns. Hope he doesn't see this post poking fun at him. :) I have 61 slots and when I want to buy a vehicle I sell 45 of them as they are guns that I don't use, but thought were kinda cool at one time. Learn to salvage junk as this game has lots of drops like Borderlands. But the guns that drop in Defiance have a much higher chance of being usable unlike Borderlands 2 where many were pure vendor trash. That's why I have full inventory and my buddy. Because we might use them one day... :)

Here is a list of codes to get some perks to start the game off with.
http://www.ign.com/wikis/defiance/Arkfall_Codes

Honestly, its a fun game. No, they DONT nickel and dime you. I haven't had to pay a cent. The stuff you pay for, you can grind out yourself. The pay stuff is like "Boost in XP earned" for people who want the fast track and are willing to pay for it. If you don't trust me, try it yourself. Its free, so what have you got to loose?

For the people who are saying you need to pay for basic functions, name a single one.

Played it for a few hours during the free weekend... it was fun but would i put as many hours in as I have for Bl2 or Bf3, honestly probably not, and at the price they are asking. When it drops down to $10 or cough cough goes f2p I might play it some more. They sell it as a MMO but I saw zero interaction with other players, chat system was quiet as a ghost. I played it as a single player game.

Played it a bit. Not worth $60 or even $40 or whatever it is, IMO. Pretty generic third-person shooter for the most part.

The Arkfall events are kinda cool, but it's basically just a clusterfuck.

Played it. The game has FAR too little in the way of content as it stands. The buying inventory spaces thing is no big deal. There's plenty of inventory space if you learn to manage it, like 54 spots at the lvl I was at. You're a hoarder if you need more than that...

Played it for a few hours during the free weekend... it was fun but would i put as many hours in as I have for Bl2 or Bf3, honestly probably not, and at the price they are asking. When it drops down to $10 or cough cough goes f2p I might play it some more. They sell it as a MMO but I saw zero interaction with other players, chat system was quiet as a ghost. I played it as a single player game.

There isn't a general chat to keep spam away. There is an area chat though but nobody uses it because there is built in area voice chat. Enable voice chat and then make sure that you have the brown circle highlighted on the lower right of your screen. Then you can chat all day. Also you can voice chat with your guild / clan from anywhere in the world.

So no there isn't a typed general chat to read in the game but a better system in my opinion. But what they need to do is have it more intuitive for new players to discover. I think that's a product of the show launching and the game still needing polish. But it does work.

Back