Sears - Kmart Converting Empty Stores into Data Centers

HardOCP News

[H] News
As part of the company's restructuring plan, Sears - Kmart is converting 280M square feet of empty stores into data centers.

“This is a redevelopment play where we look at 280 million square feet, third largest [undeveloped space] in the U.S., and saying let’s look for opportunities to do something out of the box,” he said. All told, Farney is looking at three different businesses for these old buildings: data centers, disaster recovery sites and offering rooftop space to wireless providers to plant antennae.

Sears - Kmart really seems to be getting with the times lately. The company's ship my pants campaign was a hit and it's new Big Gas Savings commercial is pretty funny too.

Thats a dumb idea.

Problem:
extra unused retail space because your business has been going down hill for multiple decades

Solution?
Get into the data center business which you know nothing about?

NO
Sell the space if you dont need it, idiots.

No one wants the space (or for the money they want for it)

Me thinks the ones in Kansas City will go REALLY quickly... (Google fiber ;) )

they'll probably get a 3rd party to manage their data centers.

It could be profitable. Sears has invested in many things, not just retail stores.

Thats a dumb idea.

Problem:
extra unused retail space because your business has been going down hill for multiple decades

Solution?

NO

I dunno. 500 yards from my house has 3 data centers that just went up. Two more being built as I type this. They're "SuperNAPs" http://www.switchlv.com/colocation/switch-supernaps/ .

What might be interesting is if some stores decide to do a hybrid. A basement (or 2nd floor) that has a datacenter. A roof that has antenna's for wireless carriers, and a retail space on the main floor.

I hope it works out well for them. I like Sears and would love to see them return to their former glory.

Thats a dumb idea.

Problem:

Solution?

NO

I'm sure they have some folks running their own data centers that might have some experience...

Sears missed a huge opportunity for awesome when they bought Kmart. The should have renamed it Smart. Shop smart! Shop S-mart!

Thats a dumb idea.

Problem:

Solution?

NO

Right, because the retail-space/warehouse real estate sector is really hot right now.

Thats a dumb idea.

Problem:

Solution?

NO

Article claims he help build Microsofts Chicago container data center. Did you even read the article?? :rolleyes:

Thats a dumb idea.

Problem:

Solution?

NO

They've been selling it. In fact real estate was a big reason why they were profitable for most of the past decade and why the purchased Sears which had a similar glut of space. Instead of putting the profits into improving the stores keep they chose to buy back company stock and buy other companies. Now that the housing market crashed and they can't depend on real estate sales to make up for their lack of sales they are screwed. There's no money coming in to improve the stores so most haven't changed a bit in the past 20 years and their revenue has dropped every year for the past seven years.

Back