AMD Amplifies The Mobile Experience With Three New APUs

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today launched three new additions to its 2013 A-Series and E-Series Mobile Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) lineup – delivering solutions ideally positioned to address today’s evolving PC market with dramatically increased performance and power efficiency, as well as a portfolio of unique user experiences, and superior gaming and graphics:
  • The 2013 AMD Elite Mobility APU (formerly codenamed “Temash”) - the world’s first 28nm, quad-core x86 system-on-a-chip (SoC) APU designed for touch small form-factor notebooks, tablets, and hybrids 13-inches and below;
  • The 2013 AMD Mainstream APU (formerly codenamed “Kabini”) - the first and only quad-core x86 SoC solution for entry-level and small-form factor touch notebooks;
  • New, low power versions of the 2013 AMD Elite Performance APU (formerly codenamed “Richland”) - offer the best graphics and compute in a performance APU for premium ultrathin notebooks.
These new APUs are designed to effectively balance the needs of a wide range of new and traditional mobile PC users and are available beginning today from the world’s top computer manufacturers, including products announced today from Acer and HP.

maybe they see a larger market in smaller form factor design right now?
besides, haven't people been complaining about the small jumps in desktop performance?
I'm glad they are making better SoC hardware, but then again I like my tech small and powerfull.

And the big AMD marketing push budget for these APUs is what...$46 and a press release?

so are these chips really competitive in tablets?

I want to see more design wins

And the big AMD marketing push budget for these APUs is what...$46 and a press release?
lol

They're just going into underpowered, low end laptops again anyways. People will buy on price in that range, regardless of what's inside.

The best selling systems nowadays are in the $300-500 range, and other than the occasional i3/i5 closeout deals it's filled with various Pentium and Atom chips. Those systems are typically bare bones too because the chips are still pretty expensive.

AMD is trying to do what they did last fall with Brazos, make a chip so cheap that it's a nobrainer for everyone to make a system in that price range that actually has features that stand out, like a higher res screen or better build quality than the standard Intel parts. Intel can adjust prices and give rebates and such, but they won't actually have a chip that fit's that price range until 3rd or 4th quarter.

Still yet to see one of these APU based laptops handed into me from the wild.

so are these chips really competitive in tablets?

I want to see more design wins

Design wins are those another form of PR and then end up never seeing anything like it :)

AMD - following the trail into obscurity VIA blazed with the C3 and C7 a decade ago. :(

Cept that there is nothing out that there that surpasses Temash and Kabini in the same price range.

Acer has it's first Temash based tocuh scrren netbook and HP is coming along http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...ops/HP-2000/C2X98AV?HP-2000z-2c00-Notebook-PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCGCPlpGZE there some more video material about the Acer temash incarnation.

I really hope AMD can find a way to rise from the ashes. We need the competition in the desktop space as well.

Design wins are those another form of PR and then end up never seeing anything like it :)

Cept that there is nothing out that there that surpasses Temash and Kabini in the same price range.

Acer has it's first Temash based tocuh scrren netbook and HP is coming along http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...ops/HP-2000/C2X98AV?HP-2000z-2c00-Notebook-PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCGCPlpGZE there some more video material about the Acer temash incarnation.

It has a lot less to do with price and a lot more to do with there simply being no market for their products. Even Intel's sales are hurting badly and they're a much more diverse company. AMD, on the other hand, has a few products that very few businesses are buying in any volume. They're exploring the low-power/cheap market just like VIA and trying to present their products as being a value-added proposition by selling based on the "cool and inexpensive" approach. That's got VIA's Eden platform right before they vanished from the x86 market written all over it.

Back