HGST Launches the Highest Capacity Mobile Hard Drive

HardOCP News

[H] News
HGST continues to push technology innovation by offering the highest storage density (MB/mm3) of any hard disk drive (HDD) today. The new Travelstar® 5K1500 is the industry’s first 9.5mm, 1.5TB mobile hard drive and features the industry’s highest capacity in a standard 9.5mm design. Built on HGST’s proven platform for quality and reliability, the Travelstar 5K1500 delivers high shock protection, low power and solid performance to meet the growing demands for a variety of market segments, including notebooks, external hard drives, gaming consoles and all-in-one desktop PCs.

The HGST three-platter Travelstar 5K1500 offers 50 percent more capacity than currently shipping 1TB 2.5-inch 9.5mm HDDs and 200 percent more capacity than single-disk 500GB 7mm or 5mm 2.5-inch HDDs, making them ideal for capacity-hungry devices. With better PCMark® Vantage and PCMark 7 performance than currently shipping two-platter HGST 5,400RPM models, all Travelstar 5K1500 drives ship with a 32MB cache buffer and 6Gbps SATA interface.

Well isn't that great. Just when I bought a external 1.5GB 12.5mm Toshiba for inside my laptop, they plop this out.
Oh well, nice to see HDDs growing in size.

To me its nice to see that HGST is still developing products instead of just churning out 2012 technology until it becomes obsolete.

This is cool because maybe we can get some nice VERY low power VERY cool running NAS drives that are 2.5" and are made to run 24/7.

Good for a storage drive but still a slow spinner needless to say.

Now make an SSD that is 1.5TB and cost $149.00 and you will be awesome.

Back