Apple Sued Over Faulty iPhone 4 Power Button

HardOCP News

[H] News
Another week, another Apple lawsuit. This time around it is a complaint about the iPhone 4's power button being defective.

"The Apple iPhone 4 is plagued by a latent defect that causes its Power Button to fail, usually shortly after the 1 year warranty covering the device has expired, thereby rendering the phone unusable," says the complaint, which was filed last Friday. "Apple knew when it manufactured, marketed, and sold the device that this defect existed, but failed to disclose it, instead touting the purported superior attributes of the telephone in Apple's various advertisements and marketing campaigns."

Not sure if it's lawsuit worthy but both the power and home buttons on an iPhone are notorious pieces of crap. For a company who has built their rep on a supposedly superior quality product it is pretty lame of them not to take care of these when they are obvious build faults and not abuse.

Same thing happened to me with my Samsung Galaxy SII, luckily it happened JUST before my warranty ended.

I wasn't aware of the power button but that gosh darned Home button is a different story..

It's a feature to remind you to buy their new product.;)

I'm surprised the warranty isn't shorter.

whoops your phone died JUST after warranty? well sign up for a new contract and we'll get you going today!

Isn't it generally the way things break - 1 day after the warranty.

Atleast mine do.

All things break, never had any phone with the power button defective. Though I usually never use a phone longer than 9 months.

This happened to my iphone 4. The power button was useless after about 1.5 years. So I went with Samsung GS3 this time. No more apple for me. I love Android now

This is the first I've heard of it. Most of my friends and family have an iPhone 4 or 4S, and none of them have ever had an issue with the home or power buttons.

Home button failed on my 4, out of warranty of course. Power button has failed on my ipod nano and mini all thankfully within warranty. No more apple for me.

Class action suits..

Consumer? = a check for $2.50 maybe $4 if lucky...

Law Firm? = Millions and Millions of dollars...

Justice is served.

Happened to me as well , ours died at 8-9 months. We use accessability features to have emulated home button on touch screen

Class action suits..

Consumer? = a check for $2.50 maybe $4 if lucky...

Law Firm? = Millions and Millions of dollars...

Justice is served.

While I totally agree with you that class-action lawsuits are bullshit for consumers expecting compensation, I think the main goal isn't so much that consumers get money but that the corporation loses money. Maybe it makes them think a little more about quality the next time around.

3 years now and it still works and I got mine on launch day. Never had a problem with there phones.

Most credit cards give you an extra year warranty.
File a claim, and they reimburse you for repairs, or a new phone.

This lawsuit is unnecessary. Just lawyers trying to raid Apple's war chest for a quick payday

I'm surprised Apple hasn't patented the power button and sued everyone else for copying their design.

I wasn't aware of the power button but that gosh darned Home button is a different story..

Same experience here. on a 3gs and a 4s. My office mate seems to have endless problems with the audio switches about 20 months into ownership, but he might just be special.

hrm, you bought an iDevice, made by teenagers in China... And what is it you expect?

I hate apple so if it's true, I guess... good for the plaintiff?

But did Samsung get the same treatment for their power button on the Galaxy S? (I think it was) The power button on mine has been dead for ages, and there are actually quite a few youtube videos to tell you how to help bypass it.

i work in the business and I have seen these tons of times. thankfully most of my customer have insurance on their account which increases their warranty period by another year, so I just order them a free replacement. That being said, it shouldnt be a problem in the first place.

This happened on my iPhone 4 as well a year and a half after I bought it. I eventually jumped ship to Android and have been loving it ever since. I don't hate apple products as I have a iPad mini now but that power and home button issue was actually pretty common since it happened to my friend's iPhone 4 as well.

No surprise, its just like their imac's...designed to fail just after warrenty is over.

I hate apple so if it's true, I guess... good for the plaintiff?

But did Samsung get the same treatment for their power button on the Galaxy S? (I think it was) The power button on mine has been dead for ages, and there are actually quite a few youtube videos to tell you how to help bypass it.

the S, The SII, the Galaxy Nexus, probably a few more. If you put a lot of pressure on the power button they are known to break easily.

It's a feature to remind you to buy their new product.;)

I'm surprised the warranty isn't shorter.

They can't make it shorter, at least around here. 2 years full warranty is mandated by law.

Back