Amazon Is Developing Smartphone With 3-D Screen

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, Amazon is developing a smartphone with a 3D screen that doesn't require the use of glasses.

One of the devices is a high-end smartphone featuring a screen that allows for three-dimensional images without glasses, these people said. Using retina-tracking technology, images on the smartphone would seem to float above the screen like a hologram and appear three-dimensional at all angles, they said. Users may be able to navigate through content using just their eyes, two of the people said.

Sounds more like a small tablet or gaming device that has a cellular radio so it can also make calls.

Why would you need to work something with your eyes you were already holding in your hands...

Didn't HTC or LG already do this and have it turn out to be a flop?

LG Optimus 3D and HTC EVO 3D.

The EVO 3D was rebranded as the HTC EVO V 4G on Virgin Mobile and completely sold out.

Not exactly a hit like the Galaxy S3 but it didn't do bad on its own.

Different kind of 3D (fixed depth parallax) in these phones, though, if the article is remotely accurate in how it describes Amazon's version.

oooh ... now we can have Angry Birds 3D :cool:

^ want!

as much as people are hating on this, you know it's going to come sooner or later

personally I would love minority report style games. like Operation! BUZZZZZZZZZ:D:D

Amazon is late to hop on the 3D fad in the same way the Occulus people are behind by a few years. Had they done this when people were drooling over buying a 3D TV for their home, they might have scraped a little profit for their development costs by making a quick cash grab when it was still trendy.

still trendy? 3d is the new standard. I don't know anyone who has experienced 3d properly and wants to go back to 2d which looks completely flat, lifeless and non-immersive in comparison and without any benefits.

I loved my EVO 3D...really like 3D personally. Don't see why people feel the need to hate 3D so much...

What is this "proper 3D" being discussed? I've never seen it. Everything I've experienced feels completely unnatural.

What is this "proper 3D" being discussed? I've never seen it.
Two ways to achieve 'proper' 3D the way I define 'proper': correctly-calibrated stereoscopic head-mounted displays and laser retinal scanning. I'd imagine you could do it with direct neural stimulation too, but that may or may not kill you.

Back