Chrome Extension Allows MP3 Download Of Any Song

HardOCP News

[H] News
The most popular Chrome extension of the day will undoubtedly be this.

*UPDATE* Well, that didn't last long. :(

A new Chrome extension lets Spotify users permanently download any song currently available from the streaming music service, a massive slip-up that could quickly upset record labels and music publishers.

Whatever they do, there's always the rather gross sounding "analog hole" (which can be done digitally). :D

This is why YouTube changes things constantly, it would seem, to break these things compatibility.

Lets take legal music services - that are awesome - and make record labels more weary of them. Awesome whatever jackass did this. Awesome.

I thought various download managers already did this.

it's just like having a record store and never locking the door when you close it for the night.
People just "waltz" right in.

Its easy enough to rip tunes off the internet without a browser plugin, but even with a plug in its not worth the hassle to me. I'd rather buy it on amazon, all tagged correctly.

The stuff i download that I dont pay for is from local bands giving their tunes away for free.

Its easy enough to rip tunes off the internet without a browser plugin, but even with a plug in its not worth the hassle to me. I'd rather buy it on amazon, all tagged correctly.

The stuff i download that I dont pay for is from local bands giving their tunes away for free.

This. Most good sound cards do it good now. I've had to do a few songs that weren't available for purchase.

I'll just not be an asshole and pay for my non-drm music and use it how I please.

I have no problem with buying my music, mostly from Amazon. I think a lot of it is due to the Amazon Cloud Player/Drive so that I always have it backed up and can play it anywhere. I have a hard time pirating music anymore. Maybe I went legit and it's just easier that way. I used to buy CD's every weekend (payday!). At least a few a weekend. Early to mid-90's. Then, I ripped them all to 256k MP3's. Then, I went through a phase... A few years later, Amazon did MP3. Been hooked ever since.

I guess with how much I use it, the paid sub (and therefore 100% zero point to download/pirate music) has been worth it.

What ever. I have never used spotify, but the funny thing is: Who cares anyway? I mean, after all, you can buy any song you want, in MP3 format, with no DRM, legally, from lots of places already (including iTunes).

people pirate digital media? no way!!!
I thought they figured this out a long time ago, if the music is good people will buy it

So this is akin to popping a cassette in and recording a song off the radio, or a video tape and making a copy of your favorite movie off HBO?

Here's the funny thing I've noticed lately. Digital purchases are MORE expensive than the media purchase. It used to set you back 10-15 bucks for a CD. Now, you can buy that same CD off Amazon often for like $4-8, and they give you access to all the MP3s through autorip. But if you buy the digital album - expect to pay $1.29 per song, often making the album $15+ and you don't get the CD...

Seriously WTH is wrong with the music industry? It's like they are all tripping out on some funky stuff, and they wonder why people pirate...

Here's the funny thing I've noticed lately. Digital purchases are MORE expensive than the media purchase. It used to set you back 10-15 bucks for a CD. Now, you can buy that same CD off Amazon often for like $4-8, and they give you access to all the MP3s through autorip. But if you buy the digital album - expect to pay $1.29 per song, often making the album $15+ and you don't get the CD...

Seriously WTH is wrong with the music industry? It's like they are all tripping out on some funky stuff, and they wonder why people pirate...

It is called the bottom line...stock holders want to see it increase no matter what!

I simply add up all the crap songs that I've paid for when buying albums to get one song, and subtract the number of songs that I've taken off the net, and will pay the record companies when it starts to go in their favor. Right now, they're still in the red for 23,845 songs.

Back