Intel Core i7-4770K at 7 GHz

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like someone got their hands on an Intel Core i7-4770K engineering sample and decided to see how far they could overclock it. Apparently the processor hit 7012.65MHz (91.07 * 77) on an ASUS MAXIMUS VI Extreme motherboard with a core voltage of 2.56v. :eek:

D A N G.....this should be interesting.....plus the inclusion of IRIS graphics....they aren't playing around.

That processor won't last long at that voltage.

Actually.. looking at the post about it makes me wonder if it is faked.

All you would really have to do is hook the CPU-Z process and send it custom readings.

Remember when bulldozer was overclocked to 8ghz?

I'm not sure this is anything to get excited about... it may still commonly hit a temp wall or require way too many volts at 4.boring ghz like Ivy :(

Thinking fake as well. Only because of the CPUZ image is from windows 7 but it says the OS that hes running is Windows XP SP3.

that's how CPUz works when you upload the validated file thing, it's not an actual screenshot. Try it on your own XP VM... will do the same thing.

that's how CPUz works when you upload the validated file thing, it's not an actual screenshot. Try it on your own XP VM... will do the same thing.

Yeah I just saw that. I also saw more screenshots, now I don't really think its fake.

Great. We toss some LN2 in, stand on the gas, get a huge number. WIN!

Yeah yeah.

Now if they could do this RELIABLY, and ON AIR COOLING without causing the chip to glow like the sun, then I'd be more impressed.

Until then, it's just a gimmick.

Things like this don't really mean much. They're just niche stunts.

What's bad is if your marketing team gets desperate enough to put on these stunts itself.

Interesting, but I only really care about real-world, 24/7 usable overclocks.

Great. We toss some LN2 in, stand on the gas, get a huge number. WIN!

Yeah yeah.

Now if they could do this RELIABLY, and ON AIR COOLING without causing the chip to glow like the sun, then I'd be more impressed.

Until then, it's just a gimmick.

I wouldn't call it a gimmick, per se. People have been overclocking with extreme cooling measures for decades now...phase change, LN2, submersion, etc. If Intel themselves did this (which would only serve to try and stir up hype), then I would certainly call it a gimmick.

Remember when bulldozer was overclocked to 8ghz?

I'm not sure this is anything to get excited about... it may still commonly hit a temp wall or require way too many volts at 4.boring ghz like Ivy :(

You mean the bulldozer CPU that only hit 8ghz with most of the cores disabled? Yeah, there's a little bit of a difference.

Although since it's not like this is stable for any length of time without impractical cooling, big whoop.

Dat Vcore. :eek:

Think I can pull this off with the stock cooler, guys?

This was aimed at the "ps4 / xbox720 is as good as a modern pc" articles going around the net.

Oh okay. But isn't it sort of strange to even compare a productivity device like a computer to an entertainment device like a console?

*takes off sunglasses*

Mother of god....

These sunglasses?

tumblr_lz9gxfU61J1rn5s2io1_500.jpg

Marty Mcfly: How much Voltage did you need to pump into that 4770k to hit 7ghz?

Doc Brown: 1.21 gigawatts, GREAT SCOTT!

^ if that's the case, then let's hope it's equipped with Thunderbolt! :p

Who cares nothing to be wowed about when this isnt an everyday over clock run that 24/7 for a week and then im impressed.

Who cares nothing to be wowed about when this isnt an everyday over clock run that 24/7 for a week and then im impressed.

certainly possible if the cooling system was stable. double cascade system, LN2, dry ice or whatever they used. LN2 or dry ice would need to be replenished obviously, but so long as there was sufficient cooling, the chip would probably run that way for quite some time.

the word you're looking for is "impractical"

not all engineering feats are practical, but they're hella impressive in the fact that they have been achieved and pushed the envelope that much further.

Vid or it didn't happen. Also, I want them to run some benches on it, then pull the heatsink off to see how big the explosion is :D.

Extreme cooling had to be in place to achieve that overclock. It is impressive for a single screenshot but I seriously doubt that is the 24/7 run. I'd guess sustainable operation would be more in the 5Ghz range at reasonable voltages.

Oh okay. But isn't it sort of strange to even compare a productivity device like a computer to an entertainment device like a console?

It was probably in reference to all the recent "PS4 will be better than a gaming PC!" news posts... No big deal.

If it could do this even on watercooling, with lower voltage and sustain that speed reliably, I'd be excited. Even a good 5.5-6 Ghz would get me excited (and wallet open). But, we've seen similar things in the past. A huge overclock, but with high end cooling, lasting for 5 minutes, high voltage...

Still, impressive. Now, if Intel could improve on that and get it doable with less voltage, less heat and be reliable - I'd buy it. 7 GHz i7 series (or i9 by then), yes sir.

Why is everyone assuming that this is the actually Vcc to the CPU section of the die and not the preregulated Vcore on the mobo? Almost assuredly this is pre-iVRM.

ROFL no way. No matter what cooling, I call BS. If the stock voltage is 1v, 2.56v will make it pull over six times stock power. If stock is 1.25v then 2.56v is still over 4x. The thermal resistance of the die itself is too high for that. This is a lie, period. The chip would die within seconds.

from the article:
Honestly we believe this is a mistake, since there were lots of bugs related the CPU-Z’s voltage reading. We would be quite surprised to see that the 22nm structures of the new Haswell CPUs are able to withstand 2.56 Volt! As a matter of fact, the same transistors can be found on Ivy Bridge processors and they start dying at 2.00 Volt.

that seems more plausible to me.

Seems like the voltage is way to high. Will this motherboard even allow the voltage to be set that high? Is it possible that it's being mis-reported by CPU-Z?

I also don't care about if someone can get a cpu to just boot the os and do a cpuz . It's who can get the highest overclock to run 24/7 stable. I run my i7 2600k 4.7 ghz stable 24/7 and ya I can put more voltage to it and get it to boot and post some silly stuff but what's the point.

Back