Netflix Losing 1,800 Movies From Its Streaming Library

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix has chopped almost 1,800 movies from its streaming library (while adding only 500 new titles). The company says you shouldn't panic though, this is just the natural "ebb and flow" of the service.

The vast majority of the titles that expire on Wednesday are older features that were aggregated by Epix. We recently added many great, more recent titles such as ParaNorman (Universal), Hunger Games (Epix), Safe (Epix) and Bachelorette (Weinstein). Tomorrow we will also add MI:2, among many other titles. Netflix is a dynamic service, we constantly update the TV shows and movies that are available to our members. We will add more than 500 titles May 1, but we also have titles expiring, this ebb and flow happens all the time.

Who cares? I can only think of 1 movie I ever streamed. None of the movies I want to watch are available on demand.

What was the movie I streamed? Convoy. Yeah. Convoy.

That's why I still maintain both a disc (blu ray) account and a streaming account ... it is ultimately up to the studios (not Netflix) what is available (because they control the pricing and exclusivity) ... most of the time I don't mind waiting until something becomes available on blu ray and if I was in a terrible hurry to stream something I would probably just rent through Vudu or Fios OnDemand/PPV :cool:

I think it's fine that the service continues to get worse and more expensive.

It is the only paid service that I have. I do not have nor want PPV/ Dish/ Cable/ FIOS tv and I do not want to spend the hugh sums of money to get them either. If I really want something bad, I will go buy the Bluray or DVD myself and watch it that way.

LOL, $8 a month is expensive but $50 to $100 a month for TV service is not?

I think it's fine that the service continues to get worse and more expensive.

Well, its price hasn't increased yet ... although it likely will ... since streaming will ultimately be about quantity and not really about quality I wish the government would just throw out the anti-trust laws and let the studios combine their efforts and create their own service or services ... they could then pull their titles from Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix and offer quantity limited streaming packages (5/month - $10, 10/month - $15, etc) ... for people that are interested in movies that wouldn't be a bad deal ... they could still license their TV shows to the competing services or release their own apps and show them with commercials ... the studios hold the cards here because it isn't like you can create your own Star Wars movies ;)

It is the only paid service that I have. I do not have nor want PPV/ Dish/ Cable/ FIOS tv and I do not want to spend the hugh sums of money to get them either. If I really want something bad, I will go buy the Bluray or DVD myself and watch it that way.

Cable and Dish etc are too expensive IMO, so I'm OTA. However I do get netflix mail service and for streaming I use Hulu Basic, Amazon Prime and bluecop through XBMC. The only service I'd love to get streaming, but unwilling to pay service providers is HBO. I wish HBO would offer steaming direct.

Netflix use to be worth it but now it is questionable. I cancelled my subscription when they made me pick between dvd or live streaming. Ended out just getting hulu and then I use red box for movies.

well Vudu is an internet rental service so it doesn't require a monthly expenditure (but individual rentals can be high, especially if you want 1080P ones) ... eventually consumers are going to have to eat some higher fees ... the studios do not like these unlimited streaming models ... they want to be paid for each stream ... I think the streaming companies are just going to have to go a quantity based stream eventually ($5 = 2 month, $10 = 5 month, etc) ... consumers won't like it but the studios own the content ... that gives them a lot of say ;)

I wish they'd feature more newer movies. If that means culling stuff, I'll take it.

well Vudu is an internet rental service so it doesn't require a monthly expenditure (but individual rentals can be high, especially if you want 1080P ones) ... eventually consumers are going to have to eat some higher fees ... the studios do not like these unlimited streaming models ... they want to be paid for each stream ... I think the streaming companies are just going to have to go a quantity based stream eventually ($5 = 2 month, $10 = 5 month, etc) ... consumers won't like it but the studios own the content ... that gives them a lot of say ;)

Which means that if they charge enough that I might as well buy it, I will buy it instead. Of course, that means I will be watching less stuff, using Hulu free more and doing other stuff like reading more.

Sorry studios but, I have more important things to do with my time and money. You studio guys are definitely towards the bottom of my purchasing and spending list. :D

Well, its price hasn't increased yet ... although it likely will ... since streaming will ultimately be about quantity and not really about quality I wish the government would just throw out the anti-trust laws and let the studios combine their efforts and create their own service or services ... they could then pull their titles from Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix and offer quantity limited streaming packages (5/month - $10, 10/month - $15, etc) ... for people that are interested in movies that wouldn't be a bad deal ... they could still license their TV shows to the competing services or release their own apps and show them with commercials ... the studios hold the cards here because it isn't like you can create your own Star Wars movies ;)

It's more expensive than it was when I started with them, and they've split the services up. It's still a decent deal if you can find things to watch, though.

. . .

My thoughts exactly. Sure, RedBox is $1.25, but if you add up the cost of the episodes of Fringe my daughter has been watching? Yeah, Waaaay more than $8.00, and that's cheaper than buying the discs.

I rarely, if ever, watch a movie more than once. Owning discs just doesn't make sense for me. besides, there's still thousands of titles still to watch!

It's expensive when they don't have any media you want to watch! Which is very quickly turning to be the case!

For sure $100 tv service is outrageously expensive too, but there's a happy medium in price between $5 and 100 that can get people the content they want for the price they want. Why I've been wanting a la carte tv for YEARS... and it sounds like Intel and possibly others will finally make this a reality.

Who cares? I can only think of 1 movie I ever streamed. None of the movies I want to watch are available on demand.

What was the movie I streamed? Convoy. Yeah. Convoy.

Well I do as I stream everything these days. It's much more convenient.

Whats a good website to help me peruse through all the titles? I only see on my PS3 the top 75 selections for each genre. I rarely use netflix on the PC.

Guess I need to checkout which movies wrere dropped. Still though, it seems that there are less and less reasons to keep Netfilx.

I just cut the cord finally.... All 3 services add up to under 18 bucks a month (Hulu, netflix, amazon prime) and offer most everything I cared about from cable which cost 150 a month. The rest I can buy on blu ray and come out way ahead. I don't know where people are shopping but, I got netflix for 35 a year, Hulu 8 a month, and prime 80 a year. Put it through a roku and it is good stuff. People are delusional to think these services are pricey.

I just cut the cord finally.... All 3 services add up to under 18 bucks a month (Hulu, netflix, amazon prime) and offer most everything I cared about from cable which cost 150 a month. The rest I can buy on blu ray and come out way ahead. I don't know where people are shopping but, I got netflix for 35 a year, Hulu 8 a month, and prime 80 a year. Put it through a roku and it is good stuff. People are delusional to think these services are pricey.

Oops, forgot, not 8 for Hulu.... 38 a year. Nice pricing.

Hopefully this will clean out some of the garbage and bring in some refreshment.

I'll take 500 movies I might watch over the contents of the $5 DVD bin at Walmart

agreed, i do the same thing and its amazing.. and inexpensive. the only thing is i am missing hockey playoffs ;(

The execs at the movies companies are raging morons. No one is going to pay $10/month for their services...for each company. They are destined to fail. Hard.

The execs at the movies companies are raging morons. No one is going to pay $10/month for their services...for each company. They are destined to fail. Hard.

It probably depends on the company ... some companies have VERY deep catalogs ... Disney could get away with ... possibly Universal and Warner ... Fox and Sony if they put all their offering in there ... the others probably don't have enough depth to swing it

O Rly?

I have both services because each has its advantages. By canceling all my overly expensive movie channels (except HBO until Game of Thrones season ends) Starz alone costs more than both the monthly cost of Netflix and Hulu and offers less content and only 1 original program I'm interested in.

I don't get why people get all upset over such cheap services. Tell me this , can you afford four Starbucks Venti coffee's a month? Because that's basically the same cost.

You would think Netflix and Hulu costs hundreds per month to access with the way people complain about it.

O Rly?

I have both services because each has its advantages. By canceling all my overly expensive movie channels (except HBO until Game of Thrones season ends) Starz alone costs more than both the monthly cost of Netflix and Hulu and offers less content and only 1 original program I'm interested in.

I don't get why people get all upset over such cheap services. Tell me this , can you afford four Starbucks Venti coffee's a month? Because that's basically the same cost.

You would think Netflix and Hulu costs hundreds per month to access with the way people complain about it.

Just because I'm a cheapass doesn't mean you don't waste money.

Yea this ain't Starz or HBO it Warner Bros and its their old crap selection. The most recent film they have on their service is from the 90's.

I sat here and tried to think of one good film that they had put out and I wanted to see and could not come up with anything.

So who cares?

With Arrested Development coming soon, they can take away 50% of the streamable movies and I'd still be perfectly happy :)

anyone one complains about netflix content is just being too stubborn to try out new content. I have found a ton of good shows on netflix that i otherwise wouldnt of watched if i still had 150+ channels to surf. FYI i dont miss surfing. I havent seen a commerical in two years either.

$8 a month > $100+ any day in my book.

who wants to bed a certain 1800 movies suddenly start getting shared more on certain... less legal servers? I'm not saying it's right, but it's the way things are, today's consumers are not going to pay high prices for entertainment like they used to. Services are going to have to realize the more they cut the more people will not only drop their service, but get their entertainment from sources that provide no revenue to the movie industry either...

At some point things are going to break and the s*** will hit the fan and these services will all be struggling not to go bankrupt, IF any of them survive, they'll realize they cant charge customers out the wazoo and get away with it, but untill then they will just keep closing the vice a little more each day...

Whats a good website to help me peruse through all the titles? I only see on my PS3 the top 75 selections for each genre. I rarely use netflix on the PC.

Netflix.com - Use the Watch instantly menu to browse by category, and scroll through all of them like that. They could use an interface improvement for sure. Wish I could see all of the personalized sub-genres they come up with based on viewing and rating history, some of them are really interesting and then disappear as soon as you watch another show. I have the same 75 title categories on my blu-ray player, but overall I'm really happy with what they've got for just $8/mo.

Back