Windows 8 Market Share Better Than OS X, Worse Than Vista

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft can't be too thrilled with Windows 8 market share so far. After six months it is ahead of OS X but still lagging behind Windows Vista.

Taking a look at where Windows 8 has gone in the past six months — taking into account for the software's pre-release months before it was finally stocked on store shelves — Windows 8 is gaining a steady stream of share each month, but it's failing to take hold of the wider PC market as Windows 7 did during its first few months of release.

I am using Win 7 on my main rig at home. It does everything I need it to do and at this point I have no reason to upgrade. I use XP at work because most of the programs my parent company requires us to use were designed around XP.
On a side note, I am thinking about getting a Microsoft Surface and that would have Win 8.

Windows 8 so far has been an abysmal failure.

Again MS decided to throw desktop customers under the bus for the sake of tablet marketshare. They are trying to invent marketshare for a product that has no demand for.

RT is scary.. How long before MS axes that turd. They will be giving that shit away for free.

I wonder how long this disaster will be allowed to go on before some one pulls back on the reins at microsoft.

Well, it just would not be a Windows 8 thread without a Wrench post in it, eh? :D Last time I checked, I do not find my Windows 8 systems malfunctioning or failing but, then again, I just prefer to use my computers and enjoy them, not fret over whether Wrench or DPI agrees with me or not.

Market share is increasing though and that is a good thing. With Windows Blue improvements, I would imagine that things will only get better from there but, we will see.

That 38% Windows XP number depresses me. It's been 3.5 years since Windows 7's release. Around the same time after Windows XP's release, Windows 2000 was sitting around 20% give or take. However, it does give me some hope. Around the 5 year mark after XP, Win2k was down to about 10% market share. Hopefully we will see a similar decline in XP usage.

I have mixed feelings about Windows 8. I believe releasing new OS's on a regular basis (8, 8.1, 9, etc), will help drive XP usage down. However, I believe 8 was such a flop that people may be a bit gun shy about upgrading now. I personally will likely be on 7 until 9's release, and only if it's not a giant suck fest.

Of course, I would care a whole lot less about XP's numbers if they would release IE 9+ for windows XP. I'm a web developer, and IE 8 still has enough market share that I can't drop it yet. 9 is the first decent browser that Microsoft has released, and 10 is even better. Hell, just upgrade IE 8 with 9 or 10's rendering engine, and enable it via meta tag. Users won't see any difference whatsoever unless a website specifically requests the new engine. But that will never ever happen. :(

Well, it just would not be a Windows 8 thread without a Wrench post in it, eh? :D Last time I checked, I do not find my Windows 8 systems malfunctioning or failing but, then again, I just prefer to use my computers and enjoy them, not fret over whether Wrench or DPI agrees with me or not.

Market share is increasing though and that is a good thing. With Windows Blue improvements, I would imagine that things will only get better from there but, we will see.

This.

I thought about posting something other than this comment but don't want to get into a flame war with the MS fan boys.

Pcjunkie, you mean you do not want to start a flame war you mean? Nice try. :D

I'll bet those XP users are the same companies who refused to upgrade to XP when it came out.

I'll bet those XP users are the same companies who refused to upgrade to XP when it came out.

Companies take forever to upgrade because of custom software that is in production.
I have this problem I have XP machines running accpac for dos because the company can't afford 300k a customized add in for Sage 300 that figures out cost waste on sheets of steel.

Also there are plasma and laser cutters on the floor that run odd and archaic software on to drive PLCs. Hell I have 95 OSRB 98 and SE, 2000 and WINXP CE in production for the same reasons.

I'd be willing to bet the Win XP numbers are as high as they are, primarily; because of business'. Heck I'm writing this from work. On a laptop that came with 7, but I installed XP on for compatibility purposes, with some of legacy software I need, for my CNC machines. The other office PC's are running 7 though; because there's no need to use XP on them.

I'm unlikely to ever install 8 though. There's no need to confuse people and, frankly, the times I've played with it, the tablet like interface just annoyed me. 8 seems like a legitimate player in the tablet/touchscreen laptop arena, but for me it's just an annoying otherwise.

I wonder how this adoption rate compares to Vista.

Personally, I'm running 8 on all my computers, with exception to my work PC, and that's just because I reused my license on my ThinkPad instead (the Latitude gets the hand-me-downs). It's faster than 7. The new start menu doesn't bother me, as I don't use that many apps. I just wish it were more customizable (smaller buttons, better ways of arranging the icons). If it does bother people, it's not hard to get a replacement start menu put in place...and for every person that I've dealt with that wasn't happy with 8, as soon as I gave them the start menu, they loved it again.

Could be, XP still has it uses especially in a secured POS system. Oh, PCJunkie, I also forgot to mention that yes, I am a fanboy, but, not of one particular company but all computer stuff instead. I figure I am blessed that I get to do and work at what I also love and enjoy.

That said, my favorite OS's of all time were the Amiga OS and OS/2 Warp. Sometimes, good stability and things just working on my machines can get boring. :D

Good post.

It's funny how people not in corporate computing environments go "OMG UPGRADEZ NOW DATZ SO OLD!" when A) the system is working and B) it might cost more than they make in a decade or more to actually do the upgrade.

I'd be willing to bet the Win XP numbers are as high as they are, primarily; because of business'. Heck I'm writing this from work. On a laptop that came with 7, but I installed XP on for compatibility purposes, with some of legacy software I need, for my CNC machines. The other office PC's are running 7 though; because there's no need to use XP on them.

I'm unlikely to ever install 8 though. There's no need to confuse people and, frankly, the times I've played with it, the tablet like interface just annoyed me. 8 seems like a legitimate player in the tablet/touchscreen laptop arena, but for me it's just an annoying otherwise.

So the golden question is what is microsoft going to do in the future when 7 support runs out.
Reason why everyone prefers start menu its because of the 15+ years of Start Menu/start button/desktop that MS has us using. 7 is gone run until what 2025? That will have people even more ingrained to the Start menu /start button/desktop to 25+ years. New generations of workers are going to get social engineered to use that system does MS think people will some home go from that system to an alien interface like Metro Happily? People decisions are driven lots by experiences at work. It will just confusion in the end.

I simply do not like the Metro UI. Does that make me some kind of anti-MS fanatic or ignorant luddite?

It's funny how people not in corporate computing environments go "OMG UPGRADEZ NOW DATZ SO OLD!" when A) the system is working and B) it might cost more than they make in a decade or more to actually do the upgrade.

Reason we upgrade is because of 1. Hardware costs. Inevitible support costs for legacy hardware skyrocket. 2. New Software packages tend to actually work worse on older platforms. (ie SAGE 50-200-300)

They removed the start menu and tried to remove the desktop.... tried to make our PCs a cell phone. Big mistake.

Lesson: Don't fuck with the PC version of Windows or even Microsoft loses. We are not the loyal mindless sheep of Apple we don't "get over it and move on".

I simply do not like the Metro UI. Does that make me some kind of anti-MS fanatic or ignorant luddite?

Since you do not like it, that is cool and fine. You are not here pushing you views down on everyone else though as fact for everyone else. That and you are not claiming things that are not as though they are.

Personally, I have no issues with the Metro UI but it could still use improvements none the less. :)

They removed the start menu and tried to remove the desktop.... tried to make our PCs a cell phone. Big mistake.

Lesson: Don't fuck with the PC version of Windows or even Microsoft loses. We are not the loyal mindless sheep of Apple we don't "get over it and move on".

They never in any way tried to remove the desktop. Then again, you already know that and are trying to start a flame war, eh? This is what I was referring to, Super-D.

Yes. It means you are behind the times, refuse to change, and refuse to see what's best for you </s>

Clearly, anyone whose opinion is "I don't like Win8" is wrong... At least that's the impression I get from some of the 8-pushers around here.

Some people just don't like the way it looks, and we're voting with our wallets. The market proves it. No matter how many times I'm told "This is what's coming, deal with it," it won't change squat.

Imagine if GE told you how to use your fridge, or if Toyota tried to tell you how to drive your car.

Well guess what, MS? You can't tell us how we are to interact with our computers, then act surprised if we don't like it. That's what markets are for.

Month over month, Windows 8 uptake and marketshare has slowed down since launch, so coasting on inertia from captive buyers that need a windows PC and Windows 8 is the only choice in the store, not sure how long they can keep sputtering along on fumes while the two big mobile O/S's continue eating into overall computing platforms marketshare.

I don't like Metro and I like my Start button. Those are the sole reasons I'm sticking with Win7 even if I were building a new rig today.

It's not that I hate Win8 or on some grand anti-MS campaign, it's just that Win7 is a superb OS and works virtually flawlessly so I see no reason to spend $100 to "upgrade" to something that won't perform any better and has a worse UI. I think it's as simple as that. Win7 works just as well and has a better UI. I don't see any mystery or conspiracy as to why 8 not getting a warm reception.

Yes. It means you are behind the times, refuse to change, and refuse to see what's best for you </s>

Clearly, anyone whose opinion is "I don't like Win8" is wrong... At least that's the impression I get from some of the 8-pushers around here.

Some people just don't like the way it looks, and we're voting with our wallets. The market proves it. No matter how many times I'm told "This is what's coming, deal with it," it won't change squat.

Imagine if GE told you how to use your fridge, or if Toyota tried to tell you how to drive your car.

Well guess what, MS? You can't tell us how we are to interact with our computers, then act surprised if we don't like it. That's what markets are for.

Change is good but so is choice. MS took away the latter and now you see the results.

Typo . English is not my first language. How many languages do you know?

For English not being your first language, you seem to do a fine job of bitching non-stop in every thread that has even the slightest to do with Microsoft.
:rolleyes:

Still running a VAX because the upgrade is 1.5 million. Contract to do depot repairs does not have the funds to do the upgrade. So keep chugging on the 35+ year old system is the only option.

Change is good but so is choice. MS took away the latter and now you see the results.

I think Microsoft may have gotten complacent because the changes in Vista/7 vs. XP (remember the classic start vs. new start fights?) went over relatively well with consumers. So they figured what's one more change? I believe they underestimated the magnitude (changing what exists vs. utter replacement of the user interface) and the ease of training/benefit ratio (telling people they could search in their start menu was simple--this "no more start menu-hello-start-screen" isn't so simple).

I'd wager consumers accepted the Start menu changes because the additions were beneficial--so they embraced it. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like the search box in the start menu.

However, changing the user paradigm (cringe) to "phone-PC" isn't flying as well.

Month over month, Windows 8 uptake and marketshare has slowed down since launch,

Not true looking at the Netmarketshare survey, 8 adoption has been pretty steady at about a .5 to .6 percent increase per month since January.

Not true looking at the Netmarketshare survey, 8 adoption has been pretty steady at about a .5 to .6 percent increase per month since January.

Thank you. I find Windows 8 to be the Best OS from Microsoft yet even though the changes take a little getting used too. I am thankful that things are moving forward from what they were even though they seem more rapid then some would think they need to occur.

I just prefer to use my computers and enjoy them

I like using my computer too, not learning a new interface better suited for tablets and phones. ;)

To each their own, but I'll be running Win7 for as long as I possibly can, and enjoying it. If I buy a touchscreen laptop, I might try Win8. Emphasis on 'might'.

As for the comments about business keeping that XP number so high, I can add my workplace to the list. We only got our first Win7 machine about 2 months back I think, and it's been a nightmare trying to get all the custom software working on it.

I personally have no desire to go to Windows 8. Windows 7 it is for me.
And there in lies the bit that Microsoft just doesn't understand... or want to understand. You have a product that works, does so well... why the fuck do you want to abandon it and go onto something new? Oh hey to make money that's why. It's like MS Office products, why? just why? Office 95 works just as fine as Office 365 for 99% of people using it.

Fixed.

3.82 is not greater than 1.78+1.82+2.82 (6.42).

I personally have no desire to go to Windows 8. Windows 7 it is for me.

Agreed, my first thought was why is OS X split into 3 parts, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8? Is it because you have to pay for each release?

Thank you. I find Windows 8 to be the Best OS from Microsoft yet even though the changes take a little getting used too. I am thankful that things are moving forward from what they were even though they seem more rapid then some would think they need to occur.

Agreed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back