Windows 8.1 'Kiosk Mode' Discovered in Leak

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
There’s a leak or two a week these days leading up to the release of Windows 8.1 and in this version, (Build 9374) Windows 8.1 is showing off its Kiosk Mode. Whether this is a new feature or just an experiment, it has the rumor mill turning again.

Kiosk Mode appears to be a way to lock down a device to a single Windows 8-style application. Apps can be selected to launch at login, with the app lockdown in place for user accounts.

Great another feature seldomly used that no one has really asked for.. Thanks Microsoft.

Oh wait previous version of Windows had Kiosk mode they finnaly decide to be on par with their old os?

Kiosk mode is meant for retail show casing. The current version of windows 8 can have the "Allison Brown" demo account setup. More than likely this is just a more advanced version of the demo software, but this time built directly into the OS.

Great another feature seldomly used that no one has really asked for.. Thanks Microsoft.

Oh wait previous version of Windows had Kiosk mode they finnaly decide to be on par with their old os?

Kiosk mode was in 8, but only for desktop apps, this is just extending it to modern apps. It's just further confirmation that 8.1 is bring consistency between the two interfaces, instead of having some things in modern and other in desktop like it is now.

Kiosk mode is meant for retail show casing. The current version of windows 8 can have the "Allison Brown" demo account setup. More than likely this is just a more advanced version of the demo software, but this time built directly into the OS.

This has been feature of Windows since 95. You can replace the Explorer with another shell or application by simply editing a registry key. They're simply extending that functionality to the apps and making it more user friendly.

Kiosk mode is definitely something useful and makes things easier to configure for that as well.

Actually there's quite a lot in these leaks that's been asked for or talked about, the new Search stuff is what I find interesting. It does look like they are addressing a couple of the major complaints over search's default nature. It doesn't break up into categories and searches the whole machine and doesn't take up the whole screen when activated via the Charms Bar or via keyboard using Windows Key+Q, which used to bring up the Apps Screen, now it looks like this:

9374Search.png

There's a lot more going on with search but it's very incomplete and buggy in this build. Furthermore it looks like every element of the new UI is being tweaked, from the Start Screen to Metro app windowing resizing to putting many Control Panel elements in the PC Settings. Its very clear that Microsoft is listening and responding to the criticisms but there's no doubt the responses won't satisfy everyone. Even the Start Button looks like it's going to make a return though there doesn't seem to be any sign on a Metro off switch at this point. At least not directly, there are many people thinking this kiosk mode might indeed be such a switch, which is why it's gotten a lot of attention.

Kiosk mode was in 8, but only for desktop apps, this is just extending it to modern apps. It's just further confirmation that 8.1 is bring consistency between the two interfaces, instead of having some things in modern and other in desktop like it is now.
99.999% of people don't give a crap about Kiosk mode. If that's why the did it, they spent their time on the wrong item.

99.999% of people don't give a crap about Kiosk mode. If that's why the did it, they spent their time on the wrong item.
You realize Microsoft works on more than one feature simultaneously, right? :confused:

i used to work in health care IT and this would be a very useful function in that arena...same thing when I used to work for a major raw products company (line computers). not having to manually lock out a ton of functionality and keeping the more savvy users out of the OS...

Uh, businesses certainly have use for it. I know we do, Mr. residential consumer.

Which must mean that it doesn't matter because you've never needed it. I don't understand why you think just because it doesn't apply to you that it wouldn't be useful to lots of others. The wonderful thing about Windows is that it does so many things for so many people and that no one, not even the biggest enthusiast on this board even begins to touch a fraction of everything that Windows supports.

The wonderful thing about Windows is that it does so many things for so many people and that no one, not even the biggest enthusiast on this board even begins to touch a fraction of everything that Windows supports.

PR-speak detected

Marketing_21-300x260.jpg

PR-speak detected

Before you go around with that nonsense, you started another thread where you said something that something wasn't possible. Heck, even I thought that was the case and low and behold, it's quite possible to use a network connected flat bed scanner within a Metro app.

So the PR speak goes both ways.

Okay, "The wonderful thing about Windows is that it does so many wonderful things"

Actually there's quite a lot in these leaks that's been asked for or talked about, the new Search stuff is what I find interesting. It does look like they are addressing a couple of the major complaints over search's default nature. It doesn't break up into categories and searches the whole machine and doesn't take up the whole screen when activated via the Charms Bar or via keyboard using Windows Key+Q, which used to bring up the Apps Screen, now it looks like this:

9374Search.png

There's a lot more going on with search but it's very incomplete and buggy in this build. Furthermore it looks like every element of the new UI is being tweaked, from the Start Screen to Metro app windowing resizing to putting many Control Panel elements in the PC Settings. Its very clear that Microsoft is listening and responding to the criticisms but there's no doubt the responses won't satisfy everyone. Even the Start Button looks like it's going to make a return though there doesn't seem to be any sign on a Metro off switch at this point. At least not directly, there are many people thinking this kiosk mode might indeed be such a switch, which is why it's gotten a lot of attention.

Ok, now... I like that.

If that search feature had been built into the original release, I might not have bought a third party start-menu replacement.

I have come across a whoping 2 machines that run Kiosks in the 800+ Machines I administer and they are both Linux.
We use t5740e Windows 7 Embedded Thin Clients as Kiosks using a program I paid a friend to write.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039096912&postcount=4
Done.

Download: http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/InactiveLogoff.exe (8KB)
Source: http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/InactiveLogoffSrc.zip (3KB)

InactiveLogoff.png

Usage:
InactiveLogoff.exe <seconds>

Example:
InactiveLogoff.exe 30

Recommended Usage:
Place the executable in any location, such as %windir%. Create a shortcut, modify the execution line to include the time parameter of your desired length, and place the shortcut in All Users --> Program Files --> Startup folder.

Description of Function:
Inactivity is defined as 15 seconds of not moving the mouse, hitting anything on the keyboard, or any input from the user. That is when this countdown timer of specified time (in seconds) begins. When inactivity is true, a small non-intrusive overlay text message appears in the bottom right hand corner of the screen saying “Automatic log-off in <seconds> seconds due to idling”. All it takes is any user input to make that go away and reset the timeout. When the specified time (in seconds) expires, the current Windows user session is logged off and brought back to the Welcome screen. This program is able to operate under plain user accounts that do not have Administrative or Power User privileges.

Thanks to Richard from http://www.rjscodingrealm.com/ for producing this program for $100.

We have one of these Thin Clients setup in the cafeteria of our locations with a USB printer so that employees can take out PTO, see their hours, do their scheduling, print paystubs, etcetera.

We use t5740e Windows 7 Embedded Thin Clients as Kiosks using a program I paid a friend to write.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039096912&postcount=4

We have one of these Thin Clients setup in the cafeteria of our locations with a USB printer so that employees can take out PTO, see their hours, do their scheduling, print paystubs, etcetera.
Correction: we have a Thin Client setup in each location's cafeteria

PR-speak detected

Marketing_21-300x260.jpg

So, how much is Canonical and Apple paying you? :D When things work, they just work. When they do not, we fix them, not whine and complain. (At least those that do their job well does that.)

Its very clear that Microsoft is listening and responding to the criticisms but there's no doubt the responses won't satisfy everyone.

Did they "fix" Reader? I have quite a few complaints about it but one of the major ones is that it doesn't seem to remember the bookmarks you make within it. It's just silly.

Did they "fix" Reader? I have quite a few complaints about it but one of the major ones is that it doesn't seem to remember the bookmarks you make within it. It's just silly.

I don't think that Reader supports user created bookmarks, I've never seen the feature. The Reader app hasn't been included in the Blue leaks thus far to my knowledge but I agree that it is very basic and needs more features. I would imagine that the core Metro apps will see a number of improvements.

I would imagine that the core Metro apps will see a number of improvements.

They will. :)

We use several kiosks around our company. Not a lot compared to the whole scheme of things, but probably 2%. May not be a lot, but I'm sure a lot of people also don't use a lot of the very simple programs in the Accessories folder. Sticky Notes probably has around that 2% usage mark, too, I'd wager.

This is good news. Not super exciting, but welcomed.

[IG]https://0jswig.dm1.livefilestore.com/y1p7nM6IWCxgK-F_U4xc2y-BZceUgKRXP9WclnBSLyWTi-eQbvrCe9rqVkarsPOeF0srUExB26VBkAZ0DABBJnoXS1JNWR8f9nw/9374Search.png?psid=1[/IMG]

So, they're restoring the basic functionality of Win 7's search? How nice. If they could restore a few other functional OS aspects like the start menu, and the option to run more than 1 application on-screen at the same time (they could call them Windows or something), I might start actually using my Win8 crippled laptop.

So, they're restoring the basic functionality of Win 7's search? How nice. If they could restore a few other functional OS aspects like the start menu, and the option to run more than 1 application on-screen at the same time (they could call them Windows or something), I might start actually using my Win8 crippled laptop.

Odd, I run more than one application on screen at a time constantly with Windows 8. even Metro apps.

You can currently run 2 applications at the same time. Just pin it to one side. The 8.1 update will allow multiple modern apps to run on the same screen.

Start menu, probably not. Start button will lead to the modern UI start screen.

Man people cry about everything here, ever been to a show of any type and seen someone with a computer out there with a video or product tour, order form etc....? Seems like some sort of kiosk mode would be great, would you rather they buy a dedicated computer just for that job? Normally for this type of stuff people were going with widnows embedded.

Winner.

Man people cry about everything here, ever been to a show of any type and seen someone with a computer out there with a video or product tour, order form etc....? Seems like some sort of kiosk mode would be great, would you rather they buy a dedicated computer just for that job? Normally for this type of stuff people were going with widnows embedded.

They do use dedicated computers at trade shows/fairs etc. They call them iPads. :D

Back