Microsoft Offering Free Xbox Live Gold This Weekend

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s been a while since Microsoft has made the Xbox Live Gold available to non-Gold Membership gamers, but this weekend you can take advantage of the perks free. Play all weekend and into Monday afternoon.

Only Xbox Live users in the US, Latin America, Japan, and Canada, so it seems those located in Europe and the UK are out of luck this time around.

Man I haven't bothered with the xbox for 1.5 years now. 5 hours play time.. I ain't paying shit to download Netflix.

PC is also offering free access to the internet this weekend. Actually all weekends. Actually all the time.

WTF Xbox?

I don't pay for Xbox gold so I am sitting here thinking I should take advantage of this opportunity. But I can't for the life of me think of any xbox live gold service I want to use. I know I don't want to get embarassed and screamed at by 12-year-olds in a mutliplayer game, so I guess I'll continue in front of the computer.

I don't pay for Xbox gold so I am sitting here thinking I should take advantage of this opportunity. But I can't for the life of me think of any xbox live gold service I want to use. I know I don't want to get embarassed and screamed at by 12-year-olds in a mutliplayer game, so I guess I'll continue in front of the computer.

To be honest, the whole 12 year old xbox live stereotype doesn't exist anymore. It's more like 21 years old, remember the xbox 360 did release 8 years ago.

To be honest, the whole 12 year old xbox live stereotype doesn't exist anymore. It's more like 21 years old, remember the xbox 360 did release 8 years ago.

8 years of live membership would probably lead to burnout for most people. I'll lean towards the 12 year olds who are still playing Madden as if it's new stuff.

Wrong. The twelve year old CoD contingent calling everyone n-words screaming into the mic between sucks pf mountain dew - alive and well. If anything it seems like there's more of the little bastards than ever.

People would probably be more happy if it was always free (like it should be) and ad free (like it should be). :p

Wrong. The twelve year old CoD contingent calling everyone n-words screaming into the mic between sucks pf mountain dew - alive and well. If anything it seems like there's more of the little bastards than ever.

Sound like PC crowd as well

It's nice for those who are interested in XBL.

But the 12 year old screaming with that high annoying squeaky voice exists, and is very strong on certain games. CoD is the biggest one. Along with probably the Halo games.

One reason I don't care for the CoD games. (Besides for the fact I just can't get into them)

Gold is great, but they are tying too much into it. You shouldn't need gold to use Netflix or Hulu. Those should be givens. Multiplayer gaming, I can easily see. But, for streaming media that is free on any other device? No way. Microsoft failed on that one.

pretty much why i stopped playing MP games on live all together at this point.

the rest of microsofts shenanigans of late has pretty much convinced me to just give up on console gaming completely & move to PC.

new console + replace all my games + pay 4 times as much for gold since they got rid of the family pack vs. 1 good video card.
uh... gee... which way should i go :rolleyes:

Wait, the promotion only gives 5 hours of playtime? I remember when I actually paid $40 for a yearly subscription, I probably only used it for 2-3 months over summer. I hope the promo was more than 5 hours and that many people took advantage of it :p

No thats my total play time on my xbox

pretty much why i stopped playing MP games on live all together at this point.

the rest of microsofts shenanigans of late has pretty much convinced me to just give up on console gaming completely & move to PC.

new console + replace all my games + pay 4 times as much for gold since they got rid of the family pack vs. 1 good video card.
uh... gee... which way should i go :rolleyes:

And when you factor that the PC titles seem to be perpetually on sale -- what with the constant Steam and Origin sales and greenmangaming perpeutually offering 20-25% off coupons, I'd say that video card will pay for itself pretty fast over $60 console games. Granted, you could rent console games but I'm talking about owning.

Dont get me wrong I'll still get one or both of the next gen consoles to play the exclusive titles, but my 360 has been collecting dust for most of the past few years I'll be honest.

Gold is great, but they are tying too much into it. You shouldn't need gold to use Netflix or Hulu. Those should be givens. Multiplayer gaming, I can easily see. But, for streaming media that is free on any other device? No way. Microsoft failed on that one.

this. I also vowed not to pay for it when I saw they were requiring gold to download some DEMOS...they are time released to regular silver accounts with no indication of even when it will be available to for download by silver members. its a freakin demo. you want me to buy the game right?

Back