Canonical Stops Offering Ubuntu on Disc

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The times are changing and Canonical is changing with them. In this particular case it means the end to low cost Ubuntu on CD. CD and DVD players are beginning to disappear from computer builds more frequently now and Canonical has responded to that signal from its users. Canonical ended their ShipIt service back in 2011 when you could order the latest version on a CD for free. Times, they are a-changing. :cool:

Canonical wouldn’t be doing this if demand for the discs was still there and made it economically viable. But I think we have all moved on and a download is much faster nowadays.

I didn't know they ever did this, doesn't make a bit of sense considering how dependant on internet access Ubuntu is. Well, I guess they agree with me.

I thought they nixed the free CD thing years ago. They still had CDs, but had to pay.

Huh. well at least the reality is now aligned with my mind again.

I was always surprised that they did this considering the work and cost that was most likely involved. I've always considered buying one but even with my slow internet it's still faster to download then I store it on my raid array and use the ISO only. I have a portable hard drive that can emulate a CDROM drive using ISOs, its awesome.

Back