Who Wants to Be a Mars Colonist?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Mars One officials are looking for a few good men for a one way trip to Mars as a private corporate astronaut. To get your foot in the rocket, all you have to do is submit a one minute audition tape ala American Idol and impress the space experts with your willingness to throw your life away millions of miles from your home planet. Now who on Earth could resist such a proposition? :D

I'm sure they will get a lot of submissions... though I'm sure a very small portion will be mentally stable enough.

So the biggest scientific and explorative venture in quite some time is going to be crewed by members whose sole qualifications are being voted as finalists by fans on a "global reality television series."

I think I lose my faith in humanity

Childhood fantasy made real? I am fairly certain I would not qualify, but I am quite excited to see where this goes in the future.

<----------------- Racks up million dollar debt, then colonize Mars.

Umm . . . That is actually a really good idea. It actually makes me think of one of the characters from Angel-Mass (a Timothy Zahn book). I think maybe I will do this? ;)

After playing Doom? Hell no.

I'll wait a while, until the base is established and the UAC begins its teleportation experiments. Then when the time is right, I'll go... hidden in a cargo pod, nobody will know I'm there. When the demons invade, I'll be ready. They'll never stand a chance.

Get your ass to MARS!!

totalrecall6.jpg

I'll wait a while, until the base is established and the UAC begins its teleportation experiments. Then when the time is right, I'll go... hidden in a cargo pod, nobody will know I'm there. When the demons invade, I'll be ready. They'll never stand a chance.

LOL.

I think this is all good. Although the auditioning process is a bit strange, they are clearly doing it for publicity reasons. I believe there are competent men and women out there for the job.

2023 is a long ways away though, and screening happens throughout this time during stress testing. In the meantime, maybe this will help inject some much needed enthusiasm into all space programs, and maybe even some healthy competition to get additional colonies out there.

Twenty five years ago, maybe I would have thought this was interesting.

Win a trip to Mars by recording a video of yourself!

Aww hell, yeah!

Aww hell, naw!

As much as I'd love to go to Mars or the Moon or in space for that matter... I'd want to return. Too many people to meet and places to see on Earth. I'd imagine that cabin fever will set in very quickly on Mars and that the novelty of being on another planet would be very quickly overshadowed by the reality that you're stuck on a frozen rock millions of miles from the nearest burger.

looks like fun, in maybe 500 years when it's relatively safe and you don't have a 1 in 2 chance of death in space or on a hostile planet

Actually, I'd be willing to do it.

I'm unmarried, no children, nothing invested on this damn planet, and no ties to anything. So, it'll make giving up life on Earth very easy for me.

"Where do I sign up?" I ask.

At the very least, I'm giving up on the following besides internet:
  • No more reality TV shows. Yay, they're all stupid.
  • No more infomercials. Yay, they're both stupid and over-exaggerated.
  • No more paying taxes. YES!
  • No more ignorant and careless politicians driving this country into the ground. My votes never seemed to matter anyway...
  • No more dealing with bad news on TV, newspaper and online. I don't have to get depressed about the world dying off in the next 50 years because of human ignorance and lack of empathy.

23 minute lag is really gonna Suuuucck! We need a good volunteer turnout so we can host a local server.

hell, just force me to read youtube comments on anything slighly politically related and I'd sign up after 10 min

"We expect a million applications with one-minute videos, and hopefully some of those videos will go viral," Lansdorp, Mars One's CEO, told Space.com ...
—Mars One will accept applications from all over the world, according to Space.com—with a maximum entry fee of $25.
Just give us $25 mil now (sorry, no refunds), and in 10 years, maybe 4 of the 1 million applicants will get a rocket ride
:rolleyes:

lol @ the depressing video submissions "I got no life here, so wth, why not..." these folks will not be taken seriously at all... I do hope these folks find meaning in this lifetime though

If I had plans to leave this planet behind, I'd just go to Canada instead where there aren't countless millions of rednecks driving around in huge pickup trucks saying "yall" or "duh hyuck" to each other while claiming that their satellite TV makes them high tech.

Are you part of the ten percent? Historically, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, only ten percent of the population ever relocates further than 250 miles from where they were born.

There will probably be alot of very successful people who are highly intelligent willing to do this. The very fact that if you successfully landed (hell even orbited) on mars you would go into the history books of mankind. No one gives a shit about Moon landings unless its Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin being the first people to do it.

if all expenses were paid and i got decent housing and food then i'd go....but it'd prolly be army lodging or worse

I say let's elect Obama to be the first colonist...even make him King of Mars. We can then send all of his followers.

The Earth would be a better place afterward.

I say let's elect Obama to be the first colonist...even make him King of Mars. We can then send all of his followers.

The Earth would be a better place afterward.

Until he finds and opens the portal to Hell you mean? ;)

Back