Malwarebytes Cripples Thousands of Computers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A short-lived faulty update from security firm Malwarebytes is responsible for thousands of computers and servers around the world becoming inoperative. The faulty update was released Tuesday and almost immediately deleted by Malwarebytes due to incoming reports of crippled machines.

The update definition made it so Malwarebytes protection software treated essential Windows.dll and .exe files as malware, thereby stopping them running and knocking IT systems and PCs offline.

When the treatment is worse than the disease.

Deleting important .dll and .exe files? Isn't that the job of the virus and not the anti-virus? :confused:

That bytes.
I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE_HOLYSHIT.jpg

They pulled it within 8 minutes of release though in that 8 minutes I too would be very upset had I installed. I think their doing a great job owning up to it and fixing the problem also.

All things considered,they're still better than most. McAfee does things like this regularly.

I don't get it, don't they test it before the push ?

Seems it would be a pretty easy test to do...
Then you run a script to make sure all critical windows files are still there...

:rolleyes:

I don't get it, don't they test it before the push ?

Seems it would be a pretty easy test to do...
Then you run a script to make sure all critical windows files are still there...

:rolleyes:

Most companies dont test, because testing costs money.

The only way to protect yourself is to update.

Just curious why this is being posted 3 days after the fact... I saw the news on my other sites on Tuesday. :)

Back