Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Super Tower Case Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Super Tower Case Review - Corsair is finally pulling back the review embargo sheets on its new "Super Tower" 900D PC case. Details and pictures have been leaking out for months, but now we finally get to see if all the hype is justified. If you are wondering what a "super tower" is, well let's just say there will be a lot of desks that the 900D will not fit under.

It still looks like a cheap, flimsy, noisy tin can to me. $200 at most. I'll know next weekend :)
Saw the "gold" award coming a mile away.. maybe a silver or equivalent imo.
So much over-rated stuff out there.

Last edited:
It still looks like a cheap, flimsy, noisy tin can to me. $200 at most. I'll know this weekend :)

I'm not sure where you got "cheap, flimsy, noisy tin can," did you actually read the review? Listen to the audio tests? The 900D has very good build quality and weighs over 40lbs empty.

In any case, we encourage you to read other reviews around the net, none of the reviewers experienced anything close to "cheap, flimsy, noisy tin can."

It still looks like a cheap, flimsy, noisy tin can to me. $200 at most. I'll know next weekend :)

Well, you obviously know more about the case than we do since you looked at the pictures. All we did was use it for a couple of weeks in multiple system setups.

As big a Corsair fanboy as I am, $300+ for a case is just too much IMO. Aside from that, it looks like another superb case in Corsair's lineup. I always preferred the more subtle looking cases like that. Always thought they looked classier.

Kyle or Steve, any mention of cable length issues that are very likely to crop up with a lot of power supplies, given the ginormous height of the case? Looks like extension cables might be a given.

We didn't have any cable length issues at all (we would have mentioned it) but a 12v CPU power cable extention is included with the 900D just in case.

We didn't have any cable length issues at all (we would have mentioned it) but a 12v CPU power cable extention is included with the 900D just in case.

Ah sweet, sounds like Corsair thought about that hehe. +1 for that!

I'm not sure where you got "cheap, flimsy, noisy tin can," did you actually read the review? Listen to the audio tests? The 900D has very good build quality and weighs over 40lbs empty.

In any case, we encourage you to read other reviews around the net, none of the reviewers experienced anything close to "cheap, flimsy, noisy tin can."

I did read the whole review, I just disagree with some your views. It will get great reviews around the net because most review sites are shilled out and/or need to keep sponsors happy.

I had access to one but my boss got it first. I've just looked and poked at it a bit and yeah have not used it at all or built a system into it yet. But he thinks it's pretty good..not awesome..but pretty good. Maybe I'll feel different about it once I use it.

How does it compare to those who already have the 800d ? Is it worth the upgrade to 800d owners and is it alot bigger than the 800d ?

I would of liked to of seen some comparisons regarding the 900d v 800d in the review.

One thing I really don't like about this case is the "flip down" cover over the front ports (USB, Headphones, etc...). Seriously I can't see it lasting very long. Either the latch tab will break or the hinges will fail. Also I thought the entire case was supposed to be aluminum. Must have been the way New Egg listed it...

Guess I'm going to have to pony up for something from Case Labs next time I buy a case. That way I get everything I want without the do-das (like the fascias and the magnetic filters) that I really won't use.

One thing I really don't like about this case is the "flip down" cover over the front ports (USB, Headphones, etc...). Seriously I can't see it lasting very long. Either the latch tab will break or the hinges will fail. Also I thought the entire case was supposed to be aluminum. Must have been the way New Egg listed it...

We used a very similar front panel door on the 800D and had no major issues with its breakage.

As for the entire case being aluminum, I don't know where that comes from. We've always acknowledged it's steel & aluminum.

Thanks for the review!

So this thing is enormus! I would not get one personally due to the size as space is an issue, well and cost too. This is the ticket possibly for someone looking to build a dream machine.

I like where Corsair going with the styling. Very clean looking. Really looking forward to seeing the 350D, as size wise that's a little bit more my speed haha.

As a proud owner of a 650D, which has a similar front cover, they are tougher than they look. My knees can attest to that. I prefer the cover, keeps small children and nosy animals out of trouble.

Guess I'm going to have to pony up for something from Case Labs next time I buy a case. That way I get everything I want without the do-das (like the fascias and the magnetic filters) that I really won't use.

unlike gpus, a good case will last you many builds.

Once i finally get my 30'' 2500x1600, this will be the case i use to fit 3 cards.

I'm looking for a mini-itx case, so of course any case article is catching my eye right now, but i lol'd when I read "nda" ... c'mon it's a metal box, haha. That thing is huuuuge! Dat price.

Anyone seen it up for (pre)sale other than at Newegg/Amazon? Redbeard, you guys got a MSRP on the case?

Looks like a nice case. I'll never have one because it is way to big. Maybe some of the features in this case will trickle down to some smaller models.

Well I think I'll trust Steve on his review over yours, for a couple reasons. First he has actually built a system in this case and then tested it out, something you admit you have yet to do. Second while I don't always agree with his opinions, he, Kyle and the other [H]'s have never steered me wrong or gave me reasons to think they were shills for anyone nor made statements simply to keep sponsor's happy.

Simply put, I'll take [H]'s informed opinion over your uninformed one. :D

I've been wanting this case since it was announced. Now that reviews are confirming my suspicion that it is amazing, I want it even more. Must, save.

I've got that on my 800D and I actually like it. I had some doubts that it would break but it's pretty solid and I've had no issues but YMMV.

Yes but how does it overclock?:)
Nice looking case but seems a bit overpriced to me..But nice review..

How does it compare to those who already have the 800d ? Is it worth the upgrade to 800d owners and is it alot bigger than the 800d ?

I would of liked to of seen some comparisons regarding the 900d v 800d in the review.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd also like to know what differences, if any, there are between the two models. I have the 800D and it's still sealed in its original box. Maybe RedBeard would accept an exchange for the 900D. I'd pay the price difference. :D

Philip

....Ok, now make a smaller one for half price and I'll take that one. :D

What a beast. Love the look.

As a Caselabs STH10 owner, I have to admit - the 900D gives my case a run for its money.

Only if this baby was available last year...

The Space! It's amazing that it'll do Push/Pull for the all-in-one loops without even trying... Internally!

I've been looking for a decent sized case. My cardboard box is a bit... bendy under the weight of everything.

Why are front panel USB 2.0 ports still used in new cases, especially a top tier case like the 900D? Is 3.0 seriously that much more expensive?

^^^ I'm going to guess that its for people like me who still have USB 2.0 headers on my Mobo? I'm sure I am not the only one.

Good review, I really like the look of it. I've got a 650D atm and it's been a good little trooper but I'm just too lazy to mod in the watercool setup I want (Dual Loops)

That window looks real nice, shame it's on the 'wrong' side for my study. One of those annoying folks that put their computer to the right of their desk. Amusingly though it is almost exactly the same height as the legs on my desk (http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/30250993/) , If I didn't want the top fans I could totally use it as a desk leg :D

Someone just take my credit card away, I shouldn't be tempting myself.

^^^ I'm going to guess that its for people like me who still have USB 2.0 headers on my Mobo? I'm sure I am not the only one.

For the price it should come with 2.0 and 3.0 usb header panels! heh

Price could come down a bit For that price at least make it 4 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0.
I prefer huge HPTX cases myself, working in cramped cases just gets old after awhile. Dual PSU is nice for those with insane systems.

Are the 3.0 front panel connections not backwards compatible with 2.0 mobo headers?

Nice review but did you find some problem when mounting expansion cards ?

from Anandtech :

While mounting the power supply was a non-issue, expansion cards prove to be the 900D's achilles heel when it comes to usability. Because of the way the side of the case's frame overhangs the expansion slots, you have to use an included (and frustrating) L-shaped screwdriver to loosen the thumbscrews. Expect to take off about a layer of skin from your fingerprints and about a year of useful life from your wrist. I'm not sure how Corsair could've made this easier; perhaps some kind of locking mechanism instead of the garden variety thumbscrews?

As a Caselabs STH10 owner, I have to admit - the 900D gives my case a run for its money.

Only if this baby was available last year...

I almost bought a SMH10 last year, but it ended up with all my add-ons around $700.00 shipped. An awesome case, yes. But pricey (worth it, probably).

The 900D...I think its everything I want except casters. WHERE ARE THE WHEELS? If I'm putting in 80lbs of equipment (including water weight), I want to be able to effortlessly slide this thing out on carpet to work on it, not wobble it out.

That'll have to be my first mod to the 900D if I get it.

SMH10....900D....SMH10....900D. Kudos Corsair, you just made me rethink my case upgrade from my awesome 8+ year old Lian Li V2000B. No easy task.

Looks like a nice case. I'll never have one because it is way to big. Maybe some of the features in this case will trickle down to some smaller models.

Came here to say exactly the same thing. :)

It's way too big for my needs, I don't need that many HDD space. Would love to see the side window and filter stuff for a mid tower version.

nösferatu;1039804286 said:
Nice review but did you find some problem when mounting expansion cards ?

from Anandtech :
People don't use thumbscrews? I couldn't live without them!

Why are front panel USB 2.0 ports still used in new cases, especially a top tier case like the 900D? Is 3.0 seriously that much more expensive?

I agree, especially when usb 3 headers with a tiny add-on then become usb 2 10 pin compatible, so they shouldnt add usb 2.0 ports onto cases nowadays.

No real reason to include both usb 2 and 3 ports when usb 3 does it all.

Any word on compatibility with enthuist water cooling gear like the Swiftech Maelstrom bayrez? The crappy toolless latch on my 650D stops the installation of my Maelstrom.

Back