Gigabyte Z77X-UD4H LGA 1155 Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Gigabyte Z77X-UD4H LGA 1155 Motherboard Review - It’s been awhile since we’ve looked at a motherboard from Gigabyte. We haven’t forgotten Gigabyte and decided to take the Z77X-UD4H for a little test drive. The Z77X-UD4H is a sub-$170 motherboard with a great look and a solid feature list for the price point that has the computer hardware enthusiast in mind.

I considered this board for the replacement of my GA-Z77M-D3H, but I think I am going to aim for an Asus board again.

The Gigabyte stuff lately has been kind of a blah experience for me. I do like the looks of this board compared to the ones I currently have. I bet I can get more out of this 3770K with it too. The lack of voltage control is irritating.

I picked one of these up the other day to tide me over until Haswell is released and I really like the board. It has a clean look in the case, runs very stable and SLI with my Titans works perfectly. For a fairly inexpensive board it offers good performance.

Thank you very much for this Gigabyte UD4H review.

I have this motherboard in my "Titan Super Rig". I initially wanted a PS/2 keyboard connector and a PCI slot for an ancient SCSI card (adaptec 2906) and scanner and this board seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I since bought a USB keyboard and found out no scanner driver/software was available (not gonna pay $40 for Vuescan for a 400 dpi 15yo scanner).

So if I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a "higher-end" legacy-free Gigabyte or ASUS board.

With that being said my initial build performed perfectly and win7pro x64 installed perfectly in under 10 minutes.

My only real problem with the board is that the "intel USB 3.0" ports are so loose that my keyboard/mouse won't stay plugged in. The other back panel USB ports are nice and tight so I can't figure out what is up with that.

This board is kinda in a weird middle ground with a few boards being just as good but cheaper. And several better boards being only a bit more expensive.

This probably has been fixed now but.... just wanted to put it out there..

I built a system for someone and picked up this board. I built the entire system, brand new ssd, brand new retail copy of win7.. Worked for about a week and kept crashing the hard drive.. It was driving me insane... I couldnt figure it out.. I finally went on GB's website and saw there was a BIOS update for the board released 2 days after the board went retail.. The original BIOS was terrible, and corrupting every HDD i put in there.. I also had issues with SATA visibility and memory timing.. After I updated the BIOS everything was A OK!

I had some BIOS issues with my Z77 and X79 boards as well. There are still some quirks, but they are much more stable with the updates.

Back