Microsoft Comments on Adam Orth’s Tweets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well, that didn't take long did it? Here's Microsoft's official response to the situation:

We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter.

If Sony isn't forcing online requirements to run a game (obviously needed to update/multiplayer etc), I can't see MS forcing it.

I am willing to be this is all a definition and understanding issue... They are probably designing it like a DVR where it is on all the time with some power savings modes, auto update etc.

Notice they deny nothing, again. :p

Why should they? If they do some people will just take that denial as confirmation of something else that they have never said. People with an agenda will take everything they say and do not say and twist it for their purposes. Microsoft is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Like if the always-on requirement would have any impact on the sales (looks at Simcity, many Ubisoft games,...). :rolleyes:

If Sony isn't forcing online requirements to run a game (obviously needed to update/multiplayer etc), I can't see MS forcing it.

I am willing to be this is all a definition and understanding issue... They are probably designing it like a DVR where it is on all the time with some power savings modes, auto update etc.

I doubt it. They are an American company that speaks perfectly clear english. They aren't some Chinese company with statements in engrish. MS has said what they said and there is no reason to try and interpret it to mean anything other than what they said.

Which is smart, you don't let any thing out until the release.

Unless staying silent is going to hemorrhage mindshare and built up good will, which in this case is happening. If nothing else this gives MS and Sony alike a taste of what's to come when they try to sneak an online requirement into the product

This next generation of consoles is just going to suck. Hardware's not changed quickly enough to provide the leap in capability to make much of a difference over the last gen.

While they may have no comment for us, I'm quite sure they had several choice comments for Orth. Me thinks his Tweets are A) Going to be more PC B) Will start looking like marketing hype or C) We'll see the marketing hype surrounding Orth's "willing" depature. :D

Why should they? If they do some people will just take that denial as confirmation of something else that they have never said. People with an agenda will take everything they say and do not say and twist it for their purposes. Microsoft is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

How would they be damned for saying "no, you wont have to be online to play games", or "no we wont block used games"? Which is exactly what Sony did, without this bad stuff happening.

How would they be damned for saying "no, you wont have to be online to play games", or "no we wont block used games"? Which is exactly what Sony did, without this bad stuff happening.

Who knows? But you have been here long enough to know that people will twist words to further their agenda against companies they hate.

Unless staying silent is going to hemorrhage mindshare and built up good will, which in this case is happening. If nothing else this gives MS and Sony alike a taste of what's to come when they try to sneak an online requirement into the product

These rumors don't actually do much. Having press sure to bad rumors is better then no press. Negative press had helped product releases in the past by not I've building up the product too much while having too much positive press can make a product seem less stellar if it doesn't meet expectations.

Damn auto correct...

Having negative press is better then no press

Negative press prevents over hype/expectations

Too much hype can make a product seem less if the lofty hype isn't met.

This next generation of consoles is just going to suck. Hardware's not changed quickly enough to provide the leap in capability to make much of a difference over the last gen.

Umm the Xbox is currently around 7 years old. Its GPU about 30 times slower than the gtx 680....

I don't know. I think 16 times the memory of previous consoles could result in some pretty big changes.

(looks at Steam)

Steam doesn't require an always on connection. It has offline mode. Heck you can disconnect the internet while playing a game and it's not going to boot you out.

Ubisoft require you to be constantly in touch with their online system. The moment you lose your connection, your game ends there. It's a whole different DRM scheme.

Microsoft would be retarded to use Ubisoft's method. It's been proven to not work.

And the new ones getting anything resembling a gtx680? :rolleyes:

Neither console (360/PS3) used the highest end GPU at the time either. This one is going to have a much easier time accessing memory too (if both use GDDR5 that is). I'll have to see how the NextXbox plans to access memory.

Steam doesn't require an always on connection. It has offline mode. Heck you can disconnect the internet while playing a game and it's not going to boot you out.

Ubisoft require you to be constantly in touch with their online system. The moment you lose your connection, your game ends there. It's a whole different DRM scheme.

Microsoft would be retarded to use Ubisoft's method. It's been proven to not work.

Steam kicks you off if you're playing and then lose conneciton, too, and its offline mode is NOTORIOUSLY buggy and annoying to use. Some games don't require a connection but the bulk of Steam titles do. I remember you guys whining about having to activate online at all even, now everyone sits and praises Lord Steam for forcing them to be connected. Amazing... :rolleyes: .

Steam only kicks you off if you're currently in a multiplayer game that uses Steamworks for online matchmaking.

Steam only kicks you off if you're currently in a multiplayer game that uses Steamworks for online matchmaking.

Funny, when I try to launch a game through Steam, it always tries to connect even if it' sa singleplayer game ;).

Everyone who loves to use Steam as a talking point seemingly forgets this glaring fact.

Adam Orth's career probably just evaporated since Microsoft had to actually go out of its way to issue a PR troll statement. Once such a statement has been filtered through the higher ups and I'm sure it has at this point ... Adam will likely be seeking other kinds of employment in the coming weeks.

However you see what he said in his tweets , his arrogance was absolute. His metaphors were poorly constructed with little to no baring on the actual topic. He made a fool of himself and almost without coming out and saying it outright , confirmed the rumors that have been swirling around for a while now.

Peter Moore's recent comments about how EA is likely to be voted the worst company on the planet for the second year in a row , also show how out of touch most of these video gaming business are with their consumer base. The profit margins have taken over any sense of consumer importance towards what we want. Its all about making as much money as possible in the first two weeks of a gaming release. Its all about how much DLC can be shoved into the disc before it ships.

Adam Orth's arrogant tweets have brought into the light a more serious issue with this industry , we gaming consumers are expected to buy whatever shit they plan shovel our way and if we complain about its taste then..

Deal With It.

Except that's not what you were talking about in your previous post.

And of course it does. How else would it sync achievements, check for patches or connect to the cloud?

Except that's not what you were talking about in your previous post.

And of course it does. How else would it sync achievements, check for patches or connect to the cloud?

So, what real-world scenarios do you think would entail having a net connection to be able to start the game, but not while playing? :p It's effectively the same thing, in practical terms. Steam is pretty draconian compared to what we had not so long ago, but everyone loves to praise Lord Steam and Archbishop Valve for "protecting" their "rights" as gamers, despite having infringed on them significantly unless you look at the world in a 1-month timespan from present-day back.

The difference is it tries to connect, but doesn't require it.

I even tested it right now. I have Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, XCOM and CoH2 beta installed. Disconnected my internet, and launched each one. All 4 started up with no issues, only showing a message that it couldn't connect to the cloud for saves.

The difference is it tries to connect, but doesn't require it.

I even tested it right now. I have Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, XCOM and CoH2 beta installed. Disconnected my internet, and launched each one. All 4 started up with no issues, only showing a message that it couldn't connect to the cloud for saves.

Cool, some games force it to be connected or they won't launch, that I have played with Steam however. I still find it hypocritical that many of the same people complaining and fighting tooth and nail against online activation now proclaim they love the service that forced it into prominence, though.

Cool, some games force it to be connected or they won't launch, that I have played with Steam however. I still find it hypocritical that many of the same people complaining and fighting tooth and nail against online activation now proclaim they love the service that forced it into prominence, though.

There is a difference between online activation and requiring constant internet connection to an online service. To me online activation is hardly any different than CD key activation, with the exception that we need to be online during activation. WoW needing a constant internet connection? Of course, it's an online MMORPG, I don't have a problem with that either.

What I dislike is when single player games requiring to be constantly connected to the internet, nothing to do with activation. Diablo 3 was a mess, and now Playstation gamers can play it offline.:rolleyes: Should have done that for PC too. Same goes for SimCity.

If Xbox do the same thing, the problem will be even bigger now because instead of an individual game, we have an entire platform needing to be constantly online for it to work. I don't think Microsoft would do it of course, it would be incredible dumb.

Steam kicks you off if you're playing and then lose conneciton, too, and its offline mode is NOTORIOUSLY buggy and annoying to use. Some games don't require a connection but the bulk of Steam titles do. I remember you guys whining about having to activate online at all even, now everyone sits and praises Lord Steam for forcing them to be connected. Amazing... :rolleyes: .

I had that problem the other day playing the original Bioshock. The cable had some sort of issue (even the TV froze for a few seconds) and I was staring at the desktop. Only a reboot would even let Steam fix itself.

Steam's offline mode isn't perfect sadly guys.

Yes — apparently it is an MMO... The new scheme of AAA publishers of calling it something else to justify the BS.
The point of the game is to interact with everyone like you would in an mmo, they aren't justifying anything. Trying this approach with the SIMS was damn retarded though.

No, it actually doesn't :rolleyes:

Sir, it DOES on many titles. And, I still laugh at all the fangirls defending Lord Steam, the very same people who used to whine "I can't sell my game if I have to activate it!" then, "Well, I guess it's OK to activate but I don't wanna have to be online when launching..." then, "Well, it's fine to have to be online to launch..." and soon enough it'll be "Who cares if you have to be connected? You normally are, right?" :rolleyes:. Stupid people tend to not really notice their sliding on a slippery slope, I guess eh :p. It's OK, go back to worshipping at the altar of Lord Steam. I'm sure the software really cares for you. Really, it does! :rolleyes:

It's hard to agree with blatant lies when one isn't self deluded.

Yes, I'm sure the millions of posts you can find through google are ALL fabricated.

As far as progression of DRM, if you don't even remember the last few years.... wow, that's amazingly pathetic. No wonder political revisionist spin for remarks made the night before works so well on you unwashed masses!

Yes, I'm sure the millions of posts you can find through google are ALL fabricated.

As far as progression of DRM, if you don't even remember the last few years.... wow, that's amazingly pathetic. No wonder political revisionist spin for remarks made the night before works so well on you unwashed masses!

Trolls gonna troll.

Next time you want to say what you do, why don't you give EXAMPLES of what you're claiming?

Like what people who aren't trolls do...

"Sir, it DOES on many titles."

Name them.

Back