New Camera Stabilizing Systems Is Amazing

The guy demonstrates the stabilizer, but doesn't show any video to demonstrate if it works.:eek:

So it seems to work pretty well. The only thing that bothers me in addition to what Magoo mentions is that the guy filming the other guy is also moving around a lot which makes it difficult to observe any motion in the stabilization camera system.

Still it's pretty amazing. The stabilizer works so well it gives the illusion that the camera is hovering.

no impressed we have been doing this for years in the RC world

Does that mean the death of low budget shaky-cam movies?

15k / 7.5k doesn't sound low budget... in my mind at least.

For some reason, I assume people will actually click the link and read the article (and see the other videos that answer all their questions), stupid me. ;)

Congratulations! You have discovered the formula for: BIRD HEAD. You can now do what avians have been doing for millions of years prior to your being a blip on the evolutionary map. :p

Considering how much the no-talent ass clowns in charge of hollywood love shaky-cam bullshit, this thing will sell zero units.

Considering how much the no-talent ass clowns in charge of hollywood love shaky-cam bullshit, this thing will sell zero units.

No no, they'll buy these, then develop high tech post-processing technology to put the shakiness back in!

For some reason, I assume people will actually click the link and read the article (and see the other videos that answer all their questions), stupid me. ;)

Hey Steve this video is great man. 15k is really cheap to spend on something like this. I could see even small outfits buying these and shooting films. Going to link this to my niece that's going to school for this type of thing. I read the entire article and watched all the videos. All is not lost. :)

15k / 7.5k doesn't sound low budget... in my mind at least.
It kind of is. It definitely isn't meant for the consumer-consumer level (you know, someone who only has enough money to afford a $800 DSLR and a couple $2000 lens over the course of 6-8 months). :(

Perhaps... unfortunately there's still going to be high budget shaky-cam movies still.

Damn you. I was ready to comment that if that became the norm, Michael Bay would be out of a job.

Can we still put Michael Bay out of a job? I hate him.

The Steadicam for professionals already exists. Is this for home use or something else entirely?

Pretty amazing...

Though I was watching it and thinking to myself... its so good you can never turn the camera:)

Hey Steve this video is great man. 15k is really cheap to spend on something like this. I could see even small outfits buying these and shooting films. Going to link this to my niece that's going to school for this type of thing. I read the entire article and watched all the videos. All is not lost. :)

Truth. You guys should look at what some current stabilizing systems cost... I think they are HUGE ripoffs for what they are, but people pay.

325 for a universal joint attached to a counter-weight. Un fucking believable.

The next stabilizer costed ~1000 usd$

Btw that is an open market with lots of people interested, so anyone who thinks that they can do more for less is more than free to try. :D

The next stabilizer costed ~1000 usd$

Btw that is an open market with lots of people interested, so anyone who thinks that they can do more for less is more than free to try. :D

Hinges and a counter-weight...they are charging what these fucking idiots will pay is all.

If this helps rid the world of shaky camera movies then I'm all for it.

ok, that looks incredible on the close range shots with the people moving around etc, with the fluid angle changes. Really really nice.
However, on the wide aerial panning shots over NY, it's still a bit jumpy. and I think the problem might be that the camera is so still, that you see the servos or whatever trying to compensate, and it looks jittery and weird. (at least to me, but considering the tech they are demoing, I'm looking for any shudder or stumble in the frame...) In a movie where I'm just watching it and not analyzing it, I probably wouldn't notice.

Cool shit anyways.

It's probably harder to appreciate if one is not in the film industry... this thing is relatively cheap and easy to use... it's not revolutionary, but it's an improvement.

I suppose for the target market, 15k is about right. But really, it's the exact same tech used on RC.

If you're a budding filmmaker on a budget, you can try going over to the RC forums and check out what they're building. Maybe even commission them to build you one for much less.

How much are those servos? I know the sensors and CPU are fairly cheap.

The only problem with gyro stabilizers like this is the resistance to angular momentum that gives the camera the noticeable hard bounce when making stops and turns

325 for a universal joint attached to a counter-weight. Un fucking believable.

My thoughts exactly. An 'affordable' $325! People are getting more and more out of touch. I don't believe that 'reality' even exists anymore, people are so damn programmed to consume.

How are they getting the camera to 'follow' the action?

If your referring to panning....then its because the point of rotation for the stabilizing is in line with the center of mass so the angular momentum is conserved and not translated to rotating the camera. I know conceptually im right but i may not be explaining that correctly.

Back