Apple Finally Stops Blocking Microsoft's Skydrive App

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you iPhone / iPad owners out there can finally use Micorosft's Skydrive again.

Until today, Microsoft hadn't updated its cloud storage service app since June 1. This was reportedly due to a dispute between Microsoft and Apple over fees. The app's 3.0 version includes support for iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini, and the ability to download full resolution photos to an iPhone or iPad.

That's funny.

In December, a report surfaced that Microsoft allegedly didn't want to pay Apple a 30 percent fee for customers who purchased additional storage through the app. As a result, Apple was blocking the app updates until Microsoft agreed to share the revenue generated through the SkyDrive iOS app.

Microsoft expects to adopt the pay-to-use their own store, but throws a hissy fit when being required to pay someone else for the same thing. Microsoft also requires developers to pay 30% until they reach $25,000 in sales I think. It's been awhile since I looked it up.

Microsoft expects to adopt the pay-to-use their own store, but throws a hissy fit when being required to pay someone else for the same thing. Microsoft also requires developers to pay 30% until they reach $25,000 in sales I think. It's been awhile since I looked it up.
Both Apple and Microsoft demand a 30% cut for app sales, yes... but we're not talking about app sales here (the SkyDrive app is free, so Apple gets 30% of nothing on that front).

Microsoft offers the ability to expand your SkyDrive cloud storage by 20GB ($10 a year), 50GB ($25 a year), or 100 GB ($50 a year).

Apple wants 30% of those subscription fees (if you upgraded your storage through the iOS app). Apple has also banned out-of-app purchase links, so Microsoft can't just send users to the webpage where you'd normally sign up for upgraded storage.

Just wanted to add that the Dropbox app ran into similar issues on iOS. All these restrictions are hitting 3rd party cloud storage providers pretty hard... probably trying to nudge users towards iCloud.

Both Apple and Microsoft demand a 30% cut for app sales, yes... but we're not talking about app sales here (the SkyDrive app is free, so Apple gets 30% of nothing on that front).

Microsoft offers the ability to expand your SkyDrive cloud storage by 20GB ($10 a year), 50GB ($25 a year), or 100 GB ($50 a year).

Apple wants 30% of those subscription fees (if you upgraded your storage through the iOS app). Apple has also banned out-of-app purchase links, so Microsoft can't just send users to the webpage where you'd normally sign up for upgraded storage.

Then Microsoft would be required like every other apps with DLC to be Free+ on the app store with Apple getting their share of the DLC payment. I don't see the problem. It's been like that since day one. Just reeks too much of Microsoft thinking they're too big for their britches and don't have to pay anyone anything.

It's not DLC, though... nothing about the app changes, it's an adjustment to a totally external service.

Actually the rumors from behind the scenes was that the dispute wasn't really over SkyDrive but Office 365 and Apple wanting a 30% cut of the subscription fees from Office 365 that touched an iOS device and of course Microsoft not liking that too much.

It's not DLC, though... nothing about the app changes, it's an adjustment to a totally external service.
Correct, but Apple classifies it as an in-app purchase. I'm not sure how Microsoft classifies in-apps in the Windows Store/Windows Phone Marketplace. They do, however, take a cut for in-apps, the same as Apple.

Correct, but Apple classifies it as an in-app purchase. I'm not sure how Microsoft classifies in-apps in the Windows Store/Windows Phone Marketplace. They do, however, take a cut for in-apps, the same as Apple.

They have the same policies that the iOS app store does

Then may they both slide slowly into irrelevance with these practices

Doubtful. Walled gardens like the iOS App Store and Valve's Steam are among the most profitable for developers.

A profitable platform for developers means that the platform will continue to be supported, which means that users will want to continue using it because that's where the applications are.

Back