Violent Imagery Doesn't Trigger Aggressive Behavior

HardOCP News

[H] News
I like to send links to articles like this to all the critics of violent video games...just to be a dick. :D

Adachi conducted two experiments that consisted of students aged 17 to 19 playing both violent and non-violent video games. The first experiment, during which participants played a violent game called Conan and a non-violent racing game called Fuel, found that there was no difference in aggressive behaviour between the participants who played the violent and non-violent games.

Next experiment: Analyze aggressive behavior between playing a good gave versus crappy games that get bundled with hardware >.<

Everytime I did a double takedown on Far Cry 3 and bonus knife throw I would give the corpses a nice body massage and thank them for their sacrifice.

I think the correlation of violence and video games is that violent people are more drawn to violent games than it is violent games causes violent people.

I also talked with a psychologist who works with young children and they said that while there is no proof that violent games cause violent behavior, violent games should be kept out of the hands of violent children.

I think the correlation of violence and video games is that violent people are more drawn to violent games than it is violent games causes violent people.

I also talked with a psychologist who works with young children and they said that while there is no proof that violent games cause violent behavior, violent games should be kept out of the hands of violent children.

So basically a kid who has aggressive reactions to violent videogames is expressing a symptom of something else going on; rather than the videogames actually causing it to happen. I can definitely buy this. :cool:

They had were using a Gamecube in the stock picture for that that article. :D

So basically they found that lack of emotional control set off by competition triggers aggressive behavior.

Queit, fool! too much of this common sense will BREAK THE INTERNET!!

One of the problems I see with the studies on both sides of this argument is that violence does not equal gore. And they always seem to throw a gory game up against a non-gory game as some proof of whatever point they're trying to make about violence.

So basically they found that lack of emotional control set off by competition triggers aggressive behavior.
Haha... this completely sums up some of the playerbases of games I won't name because I think we all know of one.

Less QQ, More Pew Pew! :p

One of the problems I see with the studies on both sides of this argument is that violence does not equal gore. And they always seem to throw a gory game up against a non-gory game as some proof of whatever point they're trying to make about violence.

Well said. I find games like whack-a-mole at chuck-e-cheese to be a very violence inducing game.

But won't a race game trigger some aggression too as you try to beat the other players or computer? Plus if you have seen some NASCAR highlights there is fighting and aggression between the drivers - maybe they need to pick another game to try this with - like one that rewards you for finding things

Agreed. Violence != gore. With Far Cry 3, I actually had more reaction to Jason picking bullets out of his arm (shudders) than actually knifing people.

There are always going to be people trying to blame the technology of the day for all the worlds problems.

As for video games, I like to remind people that violence rates in the US have gone down steadily since the advent of video games. I also like to let people know that likely between 60-150 million kids and adults have been playing these games since the early 90's yet there are fewer and fewer violent whacko's out there committing crimes than before the 90's.

Although it is inescapable that violent people will at one time or another play video games, the only logical conclusion is that the games themselves do not make a person violent.

Not so much the imagery but the game play. Games where you need to be pixel accurate on movement for example has caused many a violent outburst.

This must be wrong, because I feel like buying some guns and shooting up some schools.

it feels like my call of duty

Wait, I thought the rage virus was made by having monkey's watch violent imagery?

The games themselves I don't think make people violent. At least, not the content. What in video games could actually make someone violent?

7) Valve puzzles.
6) Unskippable intro and cut scenes.
5) Cheaters.
4) Screaming 12-year old potty mouths that shouldn't be playing an M-rated game online.
3) Crash bugs.
2) DRM.

And for the top of the list:

1) "I spent $60 for this !@#(%# pile of !@#$????!?!11"

Violent imagery can affect people in different ways, but aggressive behavior is far deeper than video games, pictures or movies.
Unfortunately, these types of studies will be scoffed at, if the data does not match the &#8220;agenda&#8221; then it goes in the trash.
Blaming guns, movies and video games is the easy way for politicians to show they are doing something about violence and others to push for a certain agenda or both.
The problem is, no one is defining the context of what they are trying to accomplish. Knee-jerk broad ranging reactions are not the answer.
A &#8220;Free&#8221; society is dangerous in many ways (especially to the people in charge), but I would rather live with that risk, than live in a nanny state. Its common sense, if you run with scissors&#8230;
Example: I totally loath MTV and the trash they spew out, but I would stand with them on a constitutional basis for freedom of speech and defend that right.
If you disagree with a game, movie or music, just turn the channel and find what you like. When people stop trying to control others, maybe we can move toward a more civil society&#8230; maybe.

Now do the same study, but throw in five 30 second advertisements and watch that violence soar.

So basically a kid who has aggressive reactions to violent videogames is expressing a symptom of something else going on; rather than the videogames actually causing it to happen. I can definitely buy this. :cool:
But how can this be?...It doesn't support the agenda! :rolleyes:

Wow, so you're telling me that if you actually use a decent control group (playing a sufficiently adrenaline-inducing nonviolent game) for studies like this, they show no difference between the aggression levels of people playing violent and non-violent games? Who could have guessed?!? ;)

"Violent Imagery Doesn't Trigger Aggressive Behavior"

Maybe it does.....for the weak mind

File this study in the "no duh" box of life's facts. We all know that aggressive behavior is caused by testicles and that when they're removed or crushed in an unfortunate boating accident, the person who lost them is better for it.

File this study in the "no duh" box of life's facts. We all know that aggressive behavior is caused by testicles and that when they're removed or crushed in an unfortunate boating accident, the person who lost them is better for it.

Obviously, you haven't been to too many womens' prisons.....

Obviously, you haven't been to too many womens' prisons.....

Lady hoosegow is very cheerful. There are rose gardens, sunshine, and endless rainbows grace the outdoors while unicorn guards clip-clop along marble floors between the polished wooden doors of each cell. Fey-folk serve excellent meals smartly on the hour and there's never a dull moment in the evening when inmates share stories of the world outside the granite walls. Many residents find the charm and allure of their captive lives irresistible and lament that they must abandon newly forged friendships when they're returned to society as productive members.

Back