Windows Blue Poised to Become Windows 8.1

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the rumor mill, the final name for Windows Blue will be Windows 8.1. Please let this be a late April Fools joke. :confused:

The client version of Blue, codenamed Windows Blue, is a refresh of Windows 8. It is expected to be released to manufacturing around August of this year. As I've blogged a few times, Microsoft is planning to position Blue as part of the Windows 8 wave, not as Windows 9.

I think 8.1 is fitting... people here "9" and probably expect something big

It's a version number and nothing to even worry about since there really isn't anyone sticking to any sort of standardized guidelines about what warrants a .1 or a .0.1 or a completely new number. I don't see why it's worth even speculating about something so insignificant much less getting into some sort of irrational argument about it (which is proabably going to happen at some point in this thread).

At least they're sticking with a simple number system for the upgrade. It's already hard enough for your average consumer to differentiate between all the versions of Office, so calling Windows Blue -- which for all intents and purposes is SP1 -- Windows 8.1 is great.

It's a version number and nothing to even worry about since there really isn't anyone sticking to any sort of standardized guidelines about what warrants a .1 or a .0.1 or a completely new number. I don't see why it's worth even speculating about something so insignificant much less getting into some sort of irrational argument about it (which is proabably going to happen at some point in this thread).

What else are they going to talk about? More ads from Intel? Steve Jobs is dead. No one cares about Facebook anymore.

Right :rolleyes: Will it still be NT 6.2 underneath? Perhaps NT 6.2.1 or NT 6.3?

LOL and how much for Win 8.1 oh yea that will be another 200 bucks. Just another pump and dump by MS.

I bet it's priced at $19.95 or $29.95.

I see Microsoft adopting the MacOS methodology of updates. Little bits, low prices, for .1 increments.

Assuming it's not free, if the Metro thing isn't addressed I don't see many people biting.

From what I've seen of it - it looks closer to a large service pack (a la XP SP1) than a full-on new OS.

In looking at the Blue leak and figuring that the changes in it are going to be in the final Blue release, this is way more than a typical Windows Service Pack at least from a UI perspective. A lot of changes in the Start Screen and Metro app capabilities particularly around multi-tasking and multiple monitors.

I think this is going to have to be free in that these changes really are about fixing things that should have come out with 8 RTM but couldn't be completed in time. And there's a lot riding on this release to see if Microsoft can address at least some of the desktop only folks. I don't think that means an Metro off switch but there's going have to be something there to help with this issue.

I hope they disable the ability to use classic shell and start8. Microsoft knows what is best for me and we should all use our computers as if they were single screen tablets with 1gb of RAM.

it wouldnt be the first time they have released the same OS twice and charged for it. I had windows 98 then they came out with 98SE and you had to buy it.

It's so easy to tell who can code and who understands the market trends here.

This is no surprise. Also Steve, anything from Mary Jo is straight from the developers - she has great sources I don't even consider anything she posts rumors anymore.

I hope they disable the ability to use classic shell and start8. Microsoft knows what is best for me and we should all use our computers as if they were single screen tablets with 1gb of RAM.

Yes that is correct.M$oft knows what you need and whats best for you before you even ask child:eek:

:D

It's so easy to tell who can code and who understands the market trends here.

This is no surprise. Also Steve, anything from Mary Jo is straight from the developers - she has great sources I don't even consider anything she posts rumors anymore.

Yeah, she and Paul Thurrott are probably the best when it comes to Microsoft inside info. Just about everything they've said about Windows 8 has been right on the money to date.

I was totally expecting this. It's hard to believe they would completely concede on windows 8 already.

Win 7 still working great here Microsoft. Call me when you release an OS that's worth upgrading to :)

I was totally expecting this. It's hard to believe they would completely concede on windows 8 already.

If the leak is an indication of what the Blue release will look like, they aren't at all conceding on Windows 8, it looks to be a fit and finish release of what is already in 8.

According to the rumor mill, the final name for Windows Blue will be Windows 8.1. Please let this be a late April Fools joke. :confused:

Well we've known it wasn't going to be Windows 9. And 8.1 sounds more like an Apple or Android release than Windows 8 SP1, which is what MS seems to get going for lately.

At least it still beats arbitrary, stupid names like Mountain Lion and Quantal Quetzal. Ubuntu naming is literally the worst ever, and Apple is awful too.

At least it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for a full version . Mountain Lion costs me $20 for a full blown version. Didn't have to wait for some time limited absurd sale either. If you're not going to support OSX, at least go with Linux. Direct x needs to die

So, this is the equivalent of... Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE? Windows 3.0 and 3.11? Or, Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 12.04.2?

The difference being we'll most likely spend $19.99 to $39.99 for an upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1.

I'm suspecting they're price it at $40.

Regardless, anything but free and it will fragment the OS out there. Many people won't be bothered or can't/won't spend the money to upgrade every year or two. So now software won't only have to run on Windows 7, but 8.0, 8.1, 8.2..

The difference with Service Packs is that they are free and if someone has a problem there's no reason not to tell them to upgrade and get back with you later. The same won't be true if there's a price tag associated with upgrades for 8.

fT5bQvE.jpg

I'm suspecting they're price it at $40.

Regardless, anything but free and it will fragment the OS out there. Many people won't be bothered or can't/won't spend the money to upgrade every year or two. So now software won't only have to run on Windows 7, but 8.0, 8.1, 8.2..

The difference with Service Packs is that they are free and if someone has a problem there's no reason not to tell them to upgrade and get back with you later. The same won't be true if there's a price tag associated with upgrades for 8.

Weren't there games and programs that REQUIRED Windows 98 SE but wouldn't run in Windows 98?

If this happens each year with these "quasi-new" Windows releases, this is going to kill backwards compatibility if taken to the extreme.

"Hey, game requires Windows 7 SP2 or Windows 8.1 due to additions and improvements made available in their updates, but will not run on Windows 8 or Windows 7 and earlier..."

I'll buy it if it stops everyone's whining about Windows 8.

...is 8.1 going to allow me to restrict Metro to a second monitor?

...is 8.1 going to allow me to restrict Metro to a second monitor?

Actually that's kind of how Metro works now, the Start Screen and Metro apps can only work in one monitor at a time. The Blue leak actually allows multiple Metro apps to run simultaneously on different monitors, counting the Start Screen.

Back