Google Picks 8,000 Winners Of 'Glass' Contest

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has picked 8,000 winners of its Google Glass contest. I'm not sure how much "winning" is involved here, you still have to pay the full $1,500 price tag. :eek:

Prevailing in this contest might not seem like much of a victory if you aren't a technology fan. The winners will have to pay $1,500 apiece if they want a test version of the product, which is called "Google Glass." They also will have to travel to New York, Los Angeles or the San Francisco Bay area to pick up the device, which isn't expected to be available on the mass market until late this year or early next year.

Sounds like something apple would do.

"Pay us to test our products"

If you are worth 200 billion dollars, you can shell out a few million for testing.

8,000 x $1,500 = $12,000,000

One heck of a "testing" fee to the people.

Nothing makes you feel more like a winner than a bill for $1,500.

I wouldn't want to be a winner with a $1500 loan for beta-level technology.

This is some sort of test to gauge fanboism. Has to be, otherwise G is now full evil.

I'll bet these google glass invites will appear on ebay soon enough.

"Up for auction is a chance to buy google glass, you are not bidding on the actual item, just a chance to buy it when it becomes available through this special invite."

IMO Google wants to gauge developer interest before they sink $10+ million Google bucks into this project. You see Google shutting down side projects even now (Google Reader was just recently in the news) and I think this is pretty indicative that they don't want to be as "wasteful" in projects as they were at one time.

if it came with cell service for the life of the product i'd consider it...

these things aren't just a peripheral are they? i kind of just assumed at that price point it'd be a full fledged device...

also, they kind of look retarded... would be nice if they weren't so retarded looking

Back